Fun Things to Do in Graz | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Graz! Nestled in the southeastern part of the country, Graz is the second-largest city in Austria and a hidden gem waiting to be explored. Known for its rich history, stunning architecture, and vibrant cultural scene, Graz offers a unique blend of old-world charm and modern sophistication. As you wander through the city's narrow cobblestone streets, you'll be captivated by the well-preserved medieval buildings, including the iconic Graz Clock Tower and the magnificent Graz Cathedral. Don't forget to visit the Schlossberg, a hilltop fortress that offers panoramic views of the city and is a testament to Graz's strategic importance throughout history. With its thriving culinary scene, world-class museums, and lively festivals, Graz is a destination that will leave you wanting more. So pack your bags and get ready to immerse yourself in the enchanting beauty of Graz.
Graz Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Graz for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Graz in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Graz Trip
Planning a trip to Graz on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Graz
Graz Travel Guide
Quick overview of Graz with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Graz
Graz offers a plethora of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Here are some must-see and must-do things in Graz:
1. Schlossberg: Start your exploration of Graz by visiting the iconic Schlossberg, a hill located in the city center. Take a leisurely stroll or ride the funicular to the top, where you can enjoy breathtaking panoramic views of the city.
2. Graz Old Town: Explore the charming cobblestone streets of Graz's Old Town, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Admire the stunning architecture of buildings like the Graz Cathedral and the Landhaus. Don't miss the Glockenspiel at the top of the Town Hall, which comes to life with a melodic performance.
3. Eggenberg Palace: Visit the magnificent Eggenberg Palace, a Baroque masterpiece surrounded by beautiful gardens. Take a guided tour of the palace to learn about its rich history and marvel at the frescoed ceilings and opulent interiors.
4. Kunsthaus Graz: Art enthusiasts should not miss the Kunsthaus Graz, a futuristic art museum known for its unique blue bubble-shaped architecture. Explore the contemporary art exhibitions and enjoy the stunning views from the museum's rooftop.
5. Murinsel: Cross the Mur River to reach the Murinsel, an artificial island designed by the American artist Vito Acconci. This floating platform serves as a cafe and event venue, offering a unique place to relax and enjoy the river views.
6. Graz Clock Tower: Climb the Graz Clock Tower, also known as the Uhrturm, for another fantastic viewpoint of the city. The tower's clock face is one of the largest in Europe, and the climb to the top is rewarded with panoramic vistas.
7. Graz Opera House: Catch a performance at the Graz Opera House, a stunning neoclassical building that hosts a variety of opera, ballet, and theater productions. Immerse yourself in the world of performing arts and enjoy a memorable evening.
Tours And Activities In Graz
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Graz at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Graz
The best time to visit Graz is during the spring and summer months, from April to September. During this time, the weather is mild and pleasant, with average temperatures ranging from 15°C to 25°C (59°F to 77°F). The city comes alive with festivals, outdoor events, and cultural activities during these months. Additionally, the beautiful parks and gardens in Graz are in full bloom, making it a great time to explore the city's green spaces. However, it is important to note that summer months can be crowded with tourists, so if you prefer a quieter experience, spring or early fall can also be a good time to visit.
Flight Calendar For Graz
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Graz.
Best Hotels To Stay In Graz
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Graz's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Graz
Graz offers a variety of great areas for accommodation. Here are a few of the best areas to consider:
1. Innere Stadt: This is the historic city center of Graz and is known for its charming cobblestone streets and beautiful architecture. It is home to many of the city's main attractions, such as the Graz Cathedral and the Landeszeughaus. Staying in Innere Stadt allows you to be in the heart of Graz's cultural and historical sites.
2. Lend: Located just south of the city center, Lend is a vibrant and trendy neighborhood. It is known for its lively atmosphere, with numerous bars, cafes, and restaurants. Lend is also home to the Kunsthaus Graz, a contemporary art museum, and the Murinsel, an artificial island on the Mur River. Staying in Lend offers a mix of modern amenities and a lively social scene.
3. Gries: Situated to the southwest of the city center, Gries is a residential area that offers a quieter and more relaxed atmosphere. It is known for its green spaces, such as the Stadtpark and the Augartenpark, which are perfect for leisurely walks or picnics. Gries also has a variety of shops and local markets, providing a convenient and authentic Graz experience.
4. Eggenberg: Located to the west of the city center, Eggenberg is a peaceful and family-friendly neighborhood. It is known for its beautiful Eggenberg Palace, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which is surrounded by a large park. Eggenberg offers a suburban feel with easy access to the city center through public transportation, making it an ideal choice for those seeking a quieter stay.
5. St. Leonhard: Situated to the north of the city center, St. Leonhard is a residential area that offers a mix of tranquility and convenience. It is known for its leafy streets and proximity to the Graz University of Technology. St. Leonhard also has a variety of shops, cafes, and restaurants, making it a popular choice for students and young professionals.
Overall, Graz offers a range of accommodation options in various areas, each with its own unique charm and advantages. Whether you prefer the historic city center, a lively neighborhood, a peaceful suburb, or a convenient location near universities, Graz has something to offer for everyone.
Hotels Map Of Graz
Easily navigate your Graz journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Graz with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Graz
There are several transportation options to get to Graz:
1. By Air: Graz has its own airport, Graz Airport (GRZ), which is served by several airlines offering domestic and international flights. You can fly directly to Graz from major European cities such as Vienna, Frankfurt, Munich, Zurich, and Istanbul.
2. By Train: Graz is well-connected to the Austrian and European rail network. You can take a train from Vienna, Salzburg, Innsbruck, or other major cities in Austria to reach Graz. The train journey offers scenic views of the Austrian countryside.
3. By Bus: There are bus services that connect Graz with other cities in Austria and neighboring countries. FlixBus and Eurolines are popular bus operators that offer routes to Graz.
4. By Car: Graz is easily accessible by car via the A2 and A9 highways. The city has well-developed road infrastructure, and there are parking facilities available in the city center.
5. By Bike: Graz is a bike-friendly city, and you can also consider cycling to Graz if you are an avid cyclist. There are dedicated bike paths and bike rental services available in the city.
Once you arrive in Graz, the city has an efficient public transportation system consisting of trams and buses, which can be used to get around the city.
Rent A Car In Graz
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Graz.
Nearby Destinantion From Graz
1. Vienna: The capital city of Austria, known for its rich history and stunning architecture.
2. Salzburg: A charming city famous for being the birthplace of Mozart and its picturesque old town.
3. Linz: The third-largest city in Austria, offering a mix of modern and historic attractions.
4. Innsbruck: Nestled in the Alps, this city is renowned for its ski resorts and stunning mountain views.
5. Klagenfurt: Located by the beautiful Lake Worthersee, it is known for its vibrant cultural scene and annual summer music festival.
6. Eisenstadt: The capital of the state of Burgenland, it is home to the magnificent Esterhazy Palace.
7. Villach: A popular tourist destination, known for its thermal spas and proximity to the stunning Lake Ossiach.
8. Baden bei Wien: A historic spa town famous for its healing thermal waters and beautiful parks.
9. Gmunden: Situated on the shores of Lake Traunsee, it is known for its picturesque castle and ceramics industry.
10. Leoben: A small town with a rich mining history, offering unique underground tours and a charming old town.