Fun Things to Do in Ulaanbaatar | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Ulaanbaatar, the vibrant capital city of Mongolia! Nestled in the heart of the country, Ulaanbaatar offers a unique blend of ancient traditions and modern development. As you explore this bustling metropolis, you will be captivated by its rich history, breathtaking landscapes, and warm hospitality of the locals. From the iconic Gandan Monastery, one of the largest Buddhist monasteries in Mongolia, to the fascinating National Museum of Mongolia, which showcases the country's nomadic heritage, Ulaanbaatar is a treasure trove of cultural experiences. Additionally, the city serves as a gateway to the vast Mongolian steppe, where you can embark on unforgettable adventures such as horseback riding, camel trekking, and visiting nomadic families. So pack your bags and get ready to immerse yourself in the enchanting beauty of Ulaanbaatar!
Ulaanbaatar Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Ulaanbaatar for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Ulaanbaatar in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Ulaanbaatar Trip
Planning a trip to Ulaanbaatar on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Ulaanbaatar
Ulaanbaatar Travel Guide
Quick overview of Ulaanbaatar with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Ulaanbaatar
There are several things to do in Ulaanbaatar that offer a unique and enriching experience.
1. Explore the Gandantegchinlen Monastery: This is one of the most important Buddhist monasteries in Mongolia and offers a glimpse into the country's rich religious and cultural heritage. Visitors can witness the daily rituals and ceremonies performed by the monks and admire the stunning architecture of the monastery.
2. Visit the National Museum of Mongolia: This museum provides a comprehensive overview of Mongolia's history, from prehistoric times to the present day. It houses a vast collection of artifacts, including traditional costumes, weapons, and archaeological finds. Visitors can learn about the nomadic lifestyle, Genghis Khan's empire, and the country's transition to a modern nation.
3. Explore the Bogd Khan Palace Museum: This museum was once the residence of the last Mongolian emperor, Bogd Khan. It showcases his personal belongings, including his throne, clothing, and artwork. The palace is surrounded by beautiful gardens and offers a serene escape from the bustling city.
4. Stroll through Sukhbaatar Square: Located in the heart of Ulaanbaatar, this square is a significant historical and political landmark. It is named after Damdin Sukhbaatar, a national hero who played a crucial role in Mongolia's independence. The square is surrounded by important buildings, such as the Government Palace and the Mongolian Stock Exchange.
5. Experience the Naadam Festival: If you happen to visit Ulaanbaatar in July, don't miss the opportunity to witness the Naadam Festival. This traditional event showcases the "Three Manly Games" of Mongolia: wrestling, horse racing, and archery. It is a vibrant celebration of Mongolian culture and attracts participants and spectators from all over the country.
6. Shop at the Narantuul Market: Known as the "Black Market," this bustling market is the largest in Mongolia. Here, visitors can find a wide range of traditional Mongolian products, including cashmere clothing, souvenirs, and local handicrafts. It's a great place to immerse yourself in the local culture and pick up unique items to take home.
7. Hike in the nearby mountains: Ulaanbaatar is surrounded by beautiful mountains, offering ample opportunities for outdoor activities. Visitors can go hiking, horseback riding, or even skiing during the winter months.
Tours And Activities In Ulaanbaatar
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Ulaanbaatar at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Ulaanbaatar
The best time to visit Ulaanbaatar is during the summer months of June to August. This is when the weather is most pleasant, with average temperatures ranging from 20 to 25 degrees Celsius. Additionally, July is the warmest month of the year, making it ideal for outdoor activities and exploring the city. Spring (April to May) and autumn (September to October) are also good times to visit, as the weather is mild and there are fewer tourists. However, it is important to note that Ulaanbaatar experiences harsh winters, with extremely cold temperatures and heavy snowfall, so it is best to avoid visiting during the winter months of November to March.
Flight Calendar For Ulaanbaatar
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Ulaanbaatar.
Best Hotels To Stay In Ulaanbaatar
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Ulaanbaatar's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Ulaanbaatar
When it comes to finding the best areas for accommodation in Ulaanbaatar, there are a few key neighborhoods that stand out. These areas offer a range of amenities, convenient access to transportation, and a variety of housing options.
Sukhbaatar District is the central district of Ulaanbaatar and is known for its bustling city life. It is home to many government buildings, shopping centers, and cultural attractions. This area is ideal for those who want to be in the heart of the city and have easy access to amenities such as restaurants, cafes, and entertainment venues.
Bayanzurkh District is a residential area located in the eastern part of Ulaanbaatar. It is known for its quiet and peaceful atmosphere, making it a great choice for families or those who prefer a more relaxed environment. This district offers a range of housing options, from apartments to single-family homes, and is well-connected to other parts of the city through public transportation.
Chingeltei District is another popular area for accommodation in Ulaanbaatar. It is located in the western part of the city and is known for its mix of residential and commercial areas. This district offers a variety of housing options, including apartments and townhouses, and is home to several parks and recreational facilities. Chingeltei District also has a vibrant food scene, with numerous restaurants and cafes offering a range of cuisines.
Khan-Uul District is a suburban area located on the outskirts of Ulaanbaatar. It is known for its beautiful natural surroundings, including mountains and forests, making it a great choice for those who enjoy outdoor activities. This district offers a mix of housing options, from apartments to detached houses, and is well-connected to the city center through public transportation.
Overall, these areas in Ulaanbaatar offer a range of options for accommodation, each with its own unique characteristics. Whether you prefer the bustling city life, a quiet residential area, or a suburban setting close to nature, there is something for everyone in Ulaanbaatar.
Hotels Map Of Ulaanbaatar
Easily navigate your Ulaanbaatar journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Ulaanbaatar with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Ulaanbaatar
There are several transportation options to Ulaanbaatar:
1. By Air: The Chinggis Khaan International Airport in Ulaanbaatar is the main international gateway to Mongolia. There are direct flights from major cities around the world, including Beijing, Seoul, Moscow, Istanbul, and Frankfurt.
2. By Train: Ulaanbaatar is connected to the Trans-Siberian Railway, which runs from Moscow to Beijing. You can take a train from Moscow or Beijing and enjoy the scenic journey through Mongolia's vast landscapes.
3. By Bus: There are long-distance bus services connecting Ulaanbaatar to neighboring countries like Russia and China. However, be prepared for long travel times and potentially challenging road conditions.
4. By Car: You can also drive to Ulaanbaatar from neighboring countries. However, keep in mind that Mongolia has vast and remote areas with limited infrastructure, so it's important to plan your route and be prepared for long stretches without services.
5. By Camel or Horse: In more remote areas of Mongolia, traditional transportation methods like camels or horses are still used. This can be a unique and adventurous way to explore the country, but it's not recommended for long-distance travel to Ulaanbaatar.
Once you arrive in Ulaanbaatar, you can use local transportation options like taxis, buses, and the city's subway system to get around the city.
Rent A Car In Ulaanbaatar
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Ulaanbaatar.
Nearby Destinantion From Ulaanbaatar
1. Darkhan: A bustling city known for its industrial and agricultural sectors.
2. Erdenet: Mongolia's second-largest city, famous for its copper mining industry.
3. Zuunmod: A small town located near the Bogd Khan Mountain, offering beautiful hiking trails.
4. Choir: A town renowned for its coal mining activities and picturesque landscapes.
5. Nalaikh: A former coal mining town that now serves as a residential area with historical significance.
6. Bulgan: A peaceful town surrounded by stunning natural beauty, including the Bulgan Mountain.
7. Bayankhongor: A remote city known for its nomadic culture and proximity to the Gobi Desert.
8. Tsetserleg: A charming town nestled in the Khangai Mountains, offering access to hot springs and ancient monasteries.
9. Kharkhorin: The ancient capital of the Mongol Empire, now a small town with historical landmarks such as Erdene Zuu Monastery.
10. Dalanzadgad: The gateway to the mesmerizing landscapes of the Gobi Desert, offering unique experiences like camel riding and dinosaur fossil exploration.