Frequently Asked Questions About Fez
Fez is an enchanting city in northern Morocco that offers a unique mix of culture and history. With its bustling souks, exotic medina, historic monuments and vibrant nightlife, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. Travelers can explore the old medina with its winding streets, see the beautiful Fes El-Bali (Old Town), visit one of world’s largest universities or just relax on the banks of Fez River. Shopping enthusiasts will find plenty to keep them busy in the souks while foodies will be amazed by the variety of restaurants and cafes.
Which time of the year is best to visit Fez?
The best time to visit Fez is during the spring or autumn months when temperatures are milder. April, May and October usually experience pleasant weather with temperatures ranging from 18°C/64°F to 28°C/83°F. In summer (June–August) temperatures can reach as high as 40°C/104°F which can make sightseeing less enjoyable. Winter (November–March) sees more rain and temperatures range between 8-15°C/46-59°F. The city does get some snowfall in January and February so visitors should consider this if packing for their trip.
Which area is good to stay in Fez?
Since the city of Fez is quite large, it's best to decide on which areas you want to focus on when organizing your stay. The old town area known as 'Fes El-Bali' is a popular choice for visitors. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is filled with narrow winding streets and traditional architecture and there are plenty of accommodation options available in this area. On the other hand, if you're looking for more modern amenities then the Ville Nouvelle ("New City") district is the better option.
Which attractions are popular in Fez?
1. The Royal Palace.
2. Fes El-Bali (Old Town).
3. Medersa Bou Inania.
4. Nejjarine Museum of Wooden Arts and Crafts.
5. Karaouine Mosque and University.
6. Riad Zighoud, a traditional Moroccan home turned museum.
7. Le Jardin Jnan Sbil, a sprawling and lush garden complex.
8. Fez River Walk, along the banks of the Fez River.
9. Tanneries of Fez, an iconic sight in the city.
10. Merenid Tombs for stunning views of the cityscape.
Which are the popular places to eat food in Fez?
1. Dar Roumana: Traditional Moroccan cuisine with a modern twist.
2. Cafe Clock Fez: For bold, sophisticated fusion dishes.
3. Le Foundouk: Stylish French brasserie with Mediterranean flavors.
4. La Maison Bleue: Creative Moroccon specialties in a beautiful setting.
5. Cafe Terrasse des Epices: Sweeping views of the city from the rooftop terrace.
6. Chez Fouad et Yamina : Authentic local tajines and couscous dishes.
7. Les Jardins de la Medina : Enjoy breakfast or lunch in this lush garden oasis.
Which places are best for shopping in Fez?
1. Fez Souks: The most popular shopping destination in the city with traditional Moroccan goods.
2. Dar el Bacha: A stunning palace that sells high quality antiques and crafts.
3. Le Jouyin el Arabi: For handmade leather goods and accessories.
4. Riad Fes: Boutique selling modern, contemporary fashion items.
5. Bab Boujloud : Shopping center located near the medina with a large selection of souvenirs and gifts.
6. Caravane du Desert: Exquisite fabrics, rugs and pottery to find here.
What are some good nightlife spots in Fez?
1. Le Zoco: Popular bar and club with a relaxed atmosphere.
2. Cafe Clock Fez: Stylish lounge for upscale drinks and live music.
3. Dar Roumana: A cozy harem inspired night spot with traditional Moroccan cuisine.
4. Riad Fes: Trendy nightclub featuring international DJs on the weekends.
5. Haven Bar & Lounge : Chic rooftop bar offering skyline views of the city.
6. Makina Club : For DJs, themed nights and great cocktails.
What are some good day trips from Fez?
1. Chefchaouen: A picturesque mountain town with blue-washed buildings and unique architecture.
2. Volubilis: Explore the ruins of this ancient Roman city.
3. Meknes: Visit the ruins of this imperial Moroccan city, as well as its stunning gardens and mosques.
4. Azrou: Popular destination for hiking, skiing and nature walks.
5. Ifrane : Morocco's "Little Switzerland" is ideal for a day trip destination thanks to its tranquil atmosphere and pleasant climate.
6. Ouezzane: A picturesque city with winding alleyways and lovely markets.
7. Imouzzer du Kandar: Explore the Berber villages and waterfalls in this small but charming town.