Fun Things to Do in Skjolden | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Skjolden, a hidden gem nestled in the heart of the Sognefjord, offers travelers a truly enchanting experience. Known for its breathtaking natural beauty, Skjolden is surrounded by towering mountains, crystal-clear lakes, and cascading waterfalls. The village itself is a charming blend of traditional Norwegian architecture and modern amenities, making it the perfect destination for those seeking both tranquility and adventure. Whether you're hiking through the stunning Jotunheimen National Park, exploring the nearby glaciers, or simply taking in the awe-inspiring views from the comfort of a fjord cruise, Skjolden promises to leave you with memories that will last a lifetime.
Skjolden Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Skjolden for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Skjolden in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Skjolden Trip
Planning a trip to Skjolden on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Skjolden
Skjolden Travel Guide
Quick overview of Skjolden with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Skjolden
Skjolden is a beautiful destination with a variety of activities to enjoy. Skjolden is a small village located at the end of the Sognefjord, which is the longest fjord in Norway. Here are some things to do in Skjolden:
1. Explore the Sognefjord: The Sognefjord is a breathtaking natural wonder that offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and waterfalls. Take a boat tour or rent a kayak to fully experience the fjord's beauty.
2. Hike in the Jotunheimen National Park: Skjolden is located near the Jotunheimen National Park, which is known for its majestic mountains and glaciers. Lace up your hiking boots and embark on a hiking adventure to explore the park's trails and enjoy the stunning scenery.
3. Visit the Urnes Stave Church: Located just a short distance from Skjolden, the Urnes Stave Church is a UNESCO World Heritage site and one of the oldest stave churches in Norway. Marvel at the intricate woodwork and learn about the church's rich history.
4. Go fishing: Skjolden is a great place for fishing enthusiasts. Grab your fishing gear and head out to the fjord or nearby lakes to try your luck at catching trout or salmon. Fishing tours are also available for those who want a guided experience.
5. Take a scenic drive: The area surrounding Skjolden is known for its scenic drives. Hop in your car and drive along the National Tourist Route Sognefjellet or the Aurlandsfjellet Scenic Route to enjoy panoramic views of the mountains, fjords, and waterfalls.
6. Experience local culture: Skjolden is a small village with a rich cultural heritage. Visit the local museum to learn about the history and traditions of the area. You can also attend cultural events or festivals that take place throughout the year.
7. Try local cuisine: Norway is known for its delicious seafood and traditional dishes. Sample local delicacies such as salmon, cod, or reindeer at one of the local restaurants in Skjolden.
Tours And Activities In Skjolden
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Skjolden at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Skjolden
The best time to visit Skjolden is during the summer months of June, July, and August. This is when the weather is the warmest and the days are the longest. Skjolden is located in the Sognefjord region, which is known for its stunning natural beauty and majestic fjords. During the summer, you can enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, kayaking, and fishing. Additionally, this is the peak tourist season, so you can experience the lively atmosphere and participate in local events and festivals. However, it is important to note that Skjolden can get crowded during this time, so if you prefer a quieter and more peaceful experience, you may want to consider visiting during the shoulder seasons of spring or fall.
Flight Calendar For Skjolden
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Skjolden.
Best Hotels To Stay In Skjolden
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Skjolden's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Skjolden
Skjolden is a picturesque village located at the end of the Sognefjord, making it an ideal destination for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts. When it comes to accommodation, there are a few areas that stand out for their convenience and proximity to the main attractions.
1. Skjolden Village Center: This area is the heart of Skjolden and offers a range of accommodation options, including hotels, guesthouses, and cabins. Staying in the village center allows easy access to local amenities such as restaurants, shops, and the marina. Additionally, it provides a great starting point for exploring nearby hiking trails and enjoying the stunning fjord views.
2. Sognefjord Camping: For those seeking a more adventurous and budget-friendly accommodation option, Sognefjord Camping is an excellent choice. Located just outside Skjolden, this campsite offers various types of accommodation, including cabins, tents, and RV sites. It provides a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in nature while still being close to the village center.
3. Luster Fjordhytter: Situated a short distance from Skjolden, Luster Fjordhytter offers cozy cabins with breathtaking views of the fjord. These self-catering accommodations provide a peaceful retreat and are perfect for those looking for privacy and tranquility. The cabins are well-equipped and offer a comfortable stay amidst the stunning natural surroundings.
4. Skjolden Hotel: If you prefer a more traditional hotel experience, Skjolden Hotel is a top choice. This charming hotel is located in the village center and offers comfortable rooms with modern amenities. With its warm hospitality and convenient location, Skjolden Hotel is an excellent base for exploring the area and enjoying activities such as kayaking, fishing, and hiking.
Overall, Skjolden offers a range of accommodation options to suit different preferences and budgets. Whether you choose to stay in the village center, camp by the fjord, rent a cabin, or opt for a hotel, you can be sure to enjoy the natural beauty and tranquility that Skjolden has to offer.
Hotels Map Of Skjolden
Easily navigate your Skjolden journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Skjolden with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Skjolden
There are several transportation options to Skjolden.
1. By Air: The nearest airport to Skjolden is Sogndal Airport, Haukasen (SOG), which is approximately 40 kilometers away. From the airport, you can take a taxi or rent a car to reach Skjolden.
2. By Train: The closest train station to Skjolden is Sogndal Station, which is approximately 30 kilometers away. From the station, you can take a taxi or rent a car to reach Skjolden.
3. By Bus: There are bus services available from major cities in Norway to Skjolden. You can check the schedules and book tickets through the local bus operators.
4. By Car: Skjolden is accessible by road, and you can drive to the town from other parts of Norway. The E16 and Rv55 highways connect Skjolden to other major cities in the country.
5. By Cruise: Skjolden is a popular port of call for cruise ships visiting the Norwegian fjords. If you are on a cruise, you can disembark at Skjolden and explore the town and its surroundings.
It is recommended to check the latest transportation options and schedules before planning your trip to Skjolden, as they may vary depending on the season and other factors.
Rent A Car In Skjolden
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Skjolden.
Nearby Destinantion From Skjolden
1. Luster: A picturesque village known for its stunning fjord views and outdoor activities.
2. Sogndal: A charming town nestled between mountains and fjords, offering a range of outdoor adventures and cultural experiences.
3. Flam: A popular tourist destination famous for its scenic railway, breathtaking waterfalls, and picturesque fjord cruises.
4. Balestrand: A quaint village known for its historic architecture, art galleries, and panoramic views of the Sognefjord.
5. Aurland: A small village renowned for its beautiful hiking trails, traditional stave churches, and panoramic viewpoints.
6. Vik: A coastal village with a rich Viking history, featuring a stunning black sand beach and a medieval stave church.
7. Laerdal: A historic town known for its well-preserved wooden houses, charming streets, and the world's longest road tunnel.
8. Hafslo: A peaceful village surrounded by mountains and lakes, offering opportunities for fishing, hiking, and skiing.
9. Kaupanger: A rural village famous for its 12th-century stave church and proximity to the stunning Sognefjord.
10. Solvorn: A picturesque village with traditional wooden houses, a charming harbor, and access to the stunning Jostedalsbreen National Park.