Fun Things to Do in Carlisle | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Carlisle, a charming village located on the island of Antigua and Barbuda. Nestled on the southern coast of the island, Carlisle offers visitors a tranquil and picturesque escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. With its pristine white sandy beaches, crystal-clear turquoise waters, and lush tropical landscapes, this hidden gem is a paradise for beach lovers and nature enthusiasts alike. Whether you're looking to relax on the beach, explore the vibrant coral reefs, or immerse yourself in the rich local culture, Carlisle has something for everyone. So pack your bags and get ready to experience the beauty and serenity of this Caribbean paradise.
Carlisle Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Carlisle for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Carlisle in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Carlisle Trip
Planning a trip to Carlisle on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Carlisle
Carlisle Travel Guide
Quick overview of Carlisle with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Carlisle
There are several things to do in Carlisle that cater to different interests and preferences. Here are some main activities and attractions you can explore:
1. Visit Carlisle Bay: This stunning bay is known for its crystal-clear turquoise waters and pristine white sandy beaches. Spend a day relaxing on the beach, swimming, snorkeling, or even scuba diving to explore the vibrant marine life and coral reefs.
2. Explore Nelson's Dockyard: Located in English Harbour, Nelson's Dockyard is a historic site that dates back to the 18th century. Tour the restored naval dockyard, admire the historic buildings, and learn about the area's maritime history. You can also find boutiques, restaurants, and art galleries in the surrounding area.
3. Hike to Shirley Heights: Embark on a scenic hike to Shirley Heights, a lookout point that offers breathtaking panoramic views of English Harbour and the surrounding islands. On Sundays, you can enjoy a sunset party with live music, local food, and drinks.
4. Take a Catamaran Cruise: Explore the coastline of Antigua and Barbuda by taking a catamaran cruise. These cruises often include snorkeling, swimming, and visiting secluded beaches. Some even offer sunset cruises or private charters for a more personalized experience.
5. Visit Devil's Bridge: Located on the eastern coast of Antigua, Devil's Bridge is a natural limestone arch carved by the ocean waves. Witness the powerful waves crashing against the rocks and enjoy the spectacular views. However, be cautious and stay behind the safety barriers as the waves can be dangerous.
6. Explore Betty's Hope: Discover the history of sugar production in Antigua by visiting Betty's Hope, a former sugar plantation. Explore the ruins, learn about the slave trade, and visit the museum to gain insights into the island's past.
Tours And Activities In Carlisle
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Carlisle at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Carlisle
The best time to visit Carlisle is between December and April. During this period, the weather is warm and dry, with average temperatures ranging from 75°F to 85°F. It is the peak tourist season in Antigua and Barbuda, so you can expect crowded beaches and higher prices. However, the clear skies and low chance of rainfall make it an ideal time for outdoor activities such as snorkeling, sailing, and exploring the island's natural beauty. If you prefer a quieter and more affordable experience, you can consider visiting during the shoulder seasons of May to June or November. During these months, the weather is still pleasant, and you can enjoy discounted rates on accommodations and fewer crowds. However, it is important to note that hurricane season in the Caribbean runs from June to November, so it is advisable to monitor weather forecasts and consider travel insurance.
Flight Calendar For Carlisle
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Carlisle.
Best Hotels To Stay In Carlisle
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Carlisle's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Carlisle
Carlisle offers a variety of excellent areas for accommodation. Here are a few of the best areas to consider:
1. Dickenson Bay: Known for its stunning white sandy beaches and crystal-clear waters, Dickenson Bay is a popular choice for tourists seeking a luxurious beachfront accommodation. The area is home to several high-end resorts and hotels, offering top-notch amenities and breathtaking views of the Caribbean Sea.
2. English Harbour: Situated on the southern coast of Antigua, English Harbour is a historic area that attracts both history enthusiasts and sailing enthusiasts. The area is famous for Nelson's Dockyard, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which offers a unique blend of history and natural beauty. Accommodation options in English Harbour range from charming boutique hotels to elegant villas, providing a tranquil and picturesque setting.
3. Jolly Harbour: Located on the western coast of Antigua, Jolly Harbour is a vibrant and bustling area known for its marina and golf course. The area offers a range of accommodation options, including waterfront villas, beachfront resorts, and cozy apartments. Jolly Harbour is also home to a variety of restaurants, bars, and shops, making it a convenient choice for those looking for entertainment and amenities within walking distance.
4. St. John's: As the capital city of Antigua and Barbuda, St. John's is a bustling hub with a mix of colonial architecture, vibrant markets, and beautiful beaches. The city offers a range of accommodation options, from budget-friendly guesthouses to upscale hotels. St. John's is also a great base for exploring the rest of the island, as it is centrally located and well-connected to other areas.
5. Falmouth Harbour: Situated adjacent to English Harbour, Falmouth Harbour is another popular area for accommodation, especially for sailing enthusiasts. The area is home to the Antigua Yacht Club Marina, which hosts various international sailing events throughout the year. Falmouth Harbour offers a range of accommodation options, including waterfront hotels, charming guesthouses, and luxury villas, providing a perfect blend of relaxation and maritime excitement.
Overall, Carlisle offers a diverse range of areas for accommodation, each with its own unique charm and attractions. Whether you prefer a beachfront paradise, a historic setting, or a vibrant city experience, there is something for everyone in this beautiful Caribbean destination.
Hotels Map Of Carlisle
Easily navigate your Carlisle journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Carlisle with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Carlisle
The most common mode of transportation to Carlisle is by air. The V.C. Bird International Airport in Antigua is the main gateway to the country, and from there, travelers can take a domestic flight or a ferry to reach Carlisle.
Rent A Car In Carlisle
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Carlisle.
Nearby Destinantion From Carlisle
1. St. John's: The capital city of Antigua and Barbuda, known for its beautiful beaches and historic sites.
2. Bolans: A small village located on the southwestern coast of Antigua, famous for its stunning beaches and water sports activities.
3. Parham: A historic town in Antigua and Barbuda, home to the ruins of Betty's Hope, the island's first sugar plantation.
4. All Saints: A vibrant town in Antigua, known for its lively street markets and cultural festivals.
5. Liberta: A charming village in Antigua, offering picturesque views of the surrounding hills and a peaceful atmosphere.
6. Falmouth: A quaint town in Antigua, popular among sailors and yachting enthusiasts for its marina and sailing events.
7. English Harbour: A historic district in Antigua, famous for its well-preserved naval dockyard and annual sailing regatta.
8. Willikies: A coastal village in Antigua, known for its tranquil beaches and proximity to Devil's Bridge, a natural limestone arch formation.
9. Codrington: A small village on the island of Barbuda, renowned for its pristine pink sand beaches and diverse bird population.
10. Cedar Grove: A peaceful village in Antigua, offering a serene escape with its lush greenery and scenic hiking trails.