Frequently Asked Questions About Bumthang District
Bumthang District in Bhutan is a region full of pristine beauty and cultural heritage. From ancient Buddhist temples to traditional villages, the district offers visitors an array of attractions for exploration. Whether it’s trekking through lush forests or exploring historical monuments, there is something here for everyone. Enjoy scenic views from Jakar Dzong or take part in the traditional festivals such as Tsechu (rancha) and Jambay Lhakhang Drup (Bumthang festival). There are also plenty of activities like yak safaris, horse riding and bird watching to enjoy. Visit Bumthang District and discover this unique corner of Bhutan!
Which time of the year is best to visit Bumthang District?
The best time to visit Bumthang District in Bhutan is late spring (April-May) and early autumn (September-October). The months offer mild, pleasant weather with clear skies and moderate temperatures. During this period, the region experiences sunny days, occasional showers and cooler nights. The monsoons arrive in June, bringing heavy rains until September. Winter is dry with snowfall occurring only at higher elevations.
What are the fun things to do in Bumthang District?
1. Explore the magnificent Buddhist temples and monasteries in Bumthang.
2. Try Bhutanese cuisine, such as ema datshi (red chili stew) and phaksha paa (marinated pork dish).
3. Hike through the forests of Jakar Dzong and catch stunning views from its peak.
4. Trek across the peaceful countryside past old farmhouses and fields to Ura Valley.
5. Visit Kurjey Lhakhang, one of the oldest temples in Bhutan, with its three sacred caves.
6. Make a pilgrimage to the sacred lakes of Jambey Lhakhang for blessings from monks.
7. Take part in traditional festivals like Tsechu (rancha) and Jambay Lhakhang Drup (Bumthang festival).
8. Spend a night camping in the wilderness for spectacular stargazing experiences.
9. Enjoy local activities like yak safaris, horse riding and bird watching.
10. Browse through souvenir shops in Wangdicholing Palace for traditional Bhutanese arts and crafts.
What are popular places to visit in Bumthang District?
1. Jakar Dzong – an iconic fortress overlooking the Chokhor Valley.
2. Ura Valley – a picturesque valley with traditional Bhutanese villages and farms.
3. Kurjey Lhakhang – one of the oldest temples in Bhutan, containing three sacred caves.
4. Jambey Lhakhang – a famous pilgrimage site with two sacred lakes and ancient temple ruins.
5. Tangbi Goemba – perched on a hilltop surrounded by lush forests, it is home to numerous Buddhist statues and frescoes.