Fun Things to Do in Paro | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Paro! Nestled in the eastern Himalayas, Paro is a picturesque town that offers a unique blend of natural beauty, rich cultural heritage, and spiritual tranquility. As you step foot in this enchanting destination, you will be greeted by the breathtaking sight of snow-capped mountains, lush green valleys, and traditional Bhutanese architecture. Paro is home to the iconic Paro Taktsang, also known as the Tiger's Nest Monastery, which is perched precariously on a cliffside and offers a spiritual retreat for both locals and visitors. Additionally, the town boasts a vibrant arts and crafts scene, with numerous traditional markets and workshops where you can witness the intricate craftsmanship of Bhutanese artisans. Whether you are seeking adventure, cultural immersion, or simply a peaceful escape, Paro is the perfect destination to fulfill your travel dreams.
Paro Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Paro for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Paro in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Paro Trip
Planning a trip to Paro on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Paro
Paro Travel Guide
Quick overview of Paro with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Paro
Paro is a beautiful destination with a rich cultural heritage and stunning natural landscapes. Here are some things to do in Paro:
1. Visit Paro Taktsang (Tiger's Nest): This iconic monastery is perched on a cliffside, offering breathtaking views of the valley below. Hike up to the monastery and explore its intricate architecture and spiritual significance.
2. Explore Paro Dzong: Also known as Rinpung Dzong, this fortress-monastery is a must-visit attraction in Paro. Marvel at its stunning architecture, intricate wall paintings, and peaceful courtyards.
3. Stroll around Paro Town: Take a leisurely walk through the charming streets of Paro Town. Browse through local shops, interact with friendly locals, and sample delicious Bhutanese cuisine at the local restaurants.
4. Discover the National Museum of Bhutan: Located in a historic watchtower, the museum showcases Bhutanese art, artifacts, and cultural relics. Learn about the country's history, traditions, and religious practices.
5. Attend a Tshechu Festival: If you're lucky to visit during the annual Tshechu festival, witness the vibrant masked dances, traditional music performances, and religious rituals. It's a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in Bhutanese culture.
6. Embark on a day trip to Chele La Pass: Take a scenic drive to Chele La Pass, the highest motorable pass in Bhutan. Enjoy panoramic views of the Himalayan peaks, pristine valleys, and colorful prayer flags fluttering in the wind.
7. Visit Kyichu Lhakhang: This ancient temple is one of the oldest and most sacred in Bhutan. Explore its peaceful surroundings, intricate murals, and serene atmosphere.
8. Engage in outdoor activities: Paro offers various outdoor activities like hiking, cycling, and river rafting. Take a nature walk along the Paro River or enjoy a thrilling rafting experience in the nearby rivers.
9. Experience a traditional hot stone bath: Relax and rejuvenate your body and mind with a traditional Bhutanese hot stone bath.
Tours And Activities In Paro
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Paro at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Paro
The best time to visit Paro is during the spring and autumn seasons, which are considered the peak tourist seasons. In spring, from March to May, the weather is pleasant with mild temperatures and blooming flowers, making it a great time for outdoor activities and sightseeing. The autumn months of September to November also offer favorable weather conditions, with clear skies and moderate temperatures, making it ideal for trekking and exploring the beautiful landscapes of Paro. However, it is important to note that these seasons are also the busiest in terms of tourist crowds, so it is advisable to book accommodations and flights in advance.
Flight Calendar For Paro
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Paro.
Best Hotels To Stay In Paro
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Paro's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Paro
Paro is a beautiful destination known for its stunning landscapes and rich cultural heritage. When it comes to finding accommodation in Paro, there are several areas that offer a comfortable and convenient stay.
Paro Town is the main hub of the district and is a popular choice for tourists. It offers a range of accommodation options, including hotels, guesthouses, and resorts. Staying in Paro Town allows easy access to various attractions such as the iconic Paro Taktsang (Tiger's Nest) monastery and the National Museum of Bhutan.
Bonday is another area worth considering for accommodation in Paro. It is located a short distance away from Paro Town and offers a peaceful and serene environment. Bonday is surrounded by lush greenery and offers breathtaking views of the Paro Valley. There are a few guesthouses and homestays available in this area, providing a more intimate and authentic experience.
For those seeking a more luxurious stay, Drukgyel Dzong is an excellent choice. This area is known for its upscale resorts and hotels that offer top-notch amenities and services. Drukgyel Dzong is located a bit further away from Paro Town but provides a tranquil setting with stunning views of the Himalayan mountains.
If you prefer a quieter and more rural experience, Nemjo is a great option. This area is located away from the main town and offers a peaceful atmosphere surrounded by farmlands and traditional Bhutanese houses. There are a few guesthouses and farm stays available in Nemjo, allowing visitors to immerse themselves in the local culture and lifestyle.
In conclusion, Paro offers a variety of accommodation options in different areas. Whether you prefer the convenience of Paro Town, the tranquility of Bonday, the luxury of Drukgyel Dzong, or the rural charm of Nemjo, you are sure to find a suitable place to stay during your visit to this enchanting destination.
Hotels Map Of Paro
Easily navigate your Paro journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Paro with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Paro
The most common mode of transportation to Paro is by air. The Paro International Airport is the only international airport in Bhutan and is served by several airlines. Alternatively, you can also travel to Paro by road from neighboring cities in India, such as Bagdogra or Siliguri, and then cross the border into Bhutan.
Rent A Car In Paro
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Paro.
Nearby Destinantion From Paro
1. Thimphu: The capital city of Bhutan, known for its stunning monasteries and vibrant cultural festivals.
2. Punakha: A picturesque town famous for its ancient dzong and beautiful rice fields.
3. Haa Valley: A serene valley surrounded by majestic mountains, offering breathtaking views and peaceful hiking trails.
4. Wangdue Phodrang: A historic town with a magnificent dzong and a bustling local market.
5. Phobjikha Valley: A scenic valley that serves as the winter home for endangered black-necked cranes.
6. Trongsa: A strategic town with an impressive dzong, serving as the gateway to central Bhutan.
7. Bumthang: A spiritual heartland with numerous ancient temples and monasteries, offering a glimpse into Bhutan's rich religious heritage.
8. Mongar: A vibrant town known for its traditional textiles and the Mongar Dzong, perched on a hilltop.
9. Trashigang: The easternmost town of Bhutan, offering stunning views of the surrounding mountains and a vibrant local market.
10. Samdrup Jongkhar: A bustling border town connecting Bhutan with the Indian state of Assam, known for its diverse wildlife and tea gardens.