Fun Things to Do in La Paz | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to La Paz! Nestled high in the Andes Mountains, La Paz is the world's highest capital city, sitting at an impressive altitude of over 3,600 meters. This vibrant city offers a unique blend of indigenous culture, colonial architecture, and breathtaking natural beauty. As you explore the bustling streets, you'll be captivated by the colorful markets, where locals sell everything from traditional textiles to exotic fruits. Don't miss the chance to visit the Witches' Market, where you can find all sorts of fascinating potions and charms. For adventure seekers, La Paz is the gateway to the stunning landscapes of the Bolivian Altiplano, where you can embark on thrilling hikes, bike rides, and even conquer the famous Death Road. Whether you're a history buff, nature lover, or adrenaline junkie, La Paz has something to offer everyone.
La Paz Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about La Paz for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in La Paz in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book La Paz Trip
Planning a trip to La Paz on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In La Paz
La Paz Travel Guide
Quick overview of La Paz with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In La Paz
La Paz offers a plethora of activities and attractions that cater to a wide range of interests. One of the must-see sights in the city is the Witches' Market, where you can find an array of traditional Bolivian goods, including herbs, potions, and talismans. Exploring the historic city center is also a highlight, as it is home to numerous colonial buildings, churches, and plazas.
For those seeking adventure, a visit to the Valle de la Luna (Valley of the Moon) is a must. This unique geological formation features bizarre rock formations that resemble the surface of the moon. Hiking enthusiasts can also embark on a challenging trek along the Choro Trail, which offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys.
To gain a deeper understanding of Bolivian culture, a visit to the Museo Nacional de Etnografia y Folklore (National Museum of Ethnography and Folklore) is highly recommended. Here, you can learn about the country's indigenous cultures through a vast collection of artifacts, traditional costumes, and exhibits.
For a taste of local cuisine, make sure to visit the Mercado Lanza, a bustling market where you can sample traditional Bolivian dishes such as saltenas (meat-filled pastries) and api (a warm corn-based drink). Additionally, taking a cooking class to learn how to prepare traditional Bolivian dishes can be a memorable experience.
Nature lovers will be delighted by the spectacular views offered by the Teleferico (cable car) system, which provides a unique perspective of the city and its surrounding landscapes. You can also take a day trip to the nearby Lake Titicaca, the highest navigable lake in the world, where you can explore the floating islands of the Uros people and learn about their unique way of life.
Lastly, a visit to El Alto, a neighboring city to La Paz, is highly recommended to experience the vibrant street markets and witness the colorful traditional clothing worn by the locals. The Sunday market in El Alto is particularly famous for its wide variety of goods, including textiles, handicrafts, and fresh produce.
Tours And Activities In La Paz
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around La Paz at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit La Paz
The best time to visit La Paz is during the dry season, which runs from May to October. During this time, the weather is mild and pleasant, with clear skies and minimal rainfall. The main attractions in La Paz, such as the Witches' Market, Plaza Murillo, and the Teleferico cable car system, can be enjoyed without any weather-related disruptions. Additionally, the temperature during the dry season is comfortable, ranging from 50°F to 70°F (10°C to 21°C), making it ideal for outdoor activities and exploring the city. However, it is important to note that temperatures can drop significantly during the nighttime, so it is advisable to bring warm clothing. On the other hand, the wet season in La Paz, which occurs from November to April, is characterized by frequent rainfall and cloudy skies. While the city is still accessible and offers its own unique charm during this time, it may be more challenging to fully enjoy outdoor activities and sightseeing due to the unpredictable weather. Therefore, if you want to make the most of your visit to La Paz, it is recommended to plan your trip during the dry season.
Flight Calendar For La Paz
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to La Paz.
Best Hotels To Stay In La Paz
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near La Paz's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In La Paz
La Paz offers a variety of great areas for accommodation. Here are a few of the best areas to consider:
1. Sopocachi: Located in the heart of La Paz, Sopocachi is known for its vibrant atmosphere and trendy vibe. This area is home to numerous restaurants, bars, and shops, making it a popular choice for both locals and tourists. Sopocachi also offers stunning views of the city and is well-connected to other parts of La Paz.
2. San Miguel: Situated in the southern part of La Paz, San Miguel is a peaceful and residential neighborhood. It is known for its beautiful parks and green spaces, making it an ideal area for those seeking a tranquil environment. San Miguel also offers easy access to amenities such as supermarkets and schools.
3. Miraflores: Miraflores is a bustling area located close to the city center. It is known for its lively markets, where you can find a wide range of local produce and handicrafts. Miraflores also offers a variety of accommodation options, from budget-friendly hostels to upscale hotels. This area is well-connected to public transportation, making it convenient for exploring the rest of La Paz.
4. Zona Sur: Zona Sur is one of the most affluent areas in La Paz, known for its upscale residential neighborhoods and luxurious accommodations. This area offers a high standard of living and is home to many expatriates and diplomats. Zona Sur also boasts excellent restaurants, shopping centers, and recreational facilities.
5. El Prado: El Prado is the main commercial and financial district of La Paz. It is a bustling area with a wide range of accommodation options, from budget-friendly hotels to upscale establishments. El Prado is also known for its vibrant nightlife, with numerous bars and clubs lining the streets. This area is well-connected to public transportation and offers easy access to various attractions and amenities.
Overall, La Paz offers a diverse range of areas for accommodation, each with its own unique charm and advantages. Whether you prefer a lively atmosphere, a peaceful environment, or a luxurious setting, you are sure to find the perfect area to suit your needs in La Paz.
Hotels Map Of La Paz
Easily navigate your La Paz journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of La Paz with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To La Paz
There are several transportation options to get to La Paz:
1. By Air: The easiest and fastest way to reach La Paz is by flying into El Alto International Airport (LPB), which is located about 13 kilometers west of the city center. Many international airlines offer flights to La Paz from major cities around the world.
2. By Bus: La Paz is well-connected to other cities in Bolivia and neighboring countries by bus. There are several long-distance bus companies that operate routes to and from La Paz. The bus journey can be quite long and may involve crossing mountainous terrain, so be prepared for a potentially bumpy ride.
3. By Train: Although there is no direct train service to La Paz, you can take a train to Oruro, which is about 200 kilometers away from La Paz. From Oruro, you can then take a bus or taxi to reach La Paz.
4. By Car: If you prefer to drive, you can rent a car and drive to La Paz. However, be aware that the roads in Bolivia can be challenging, especially in mountainous areas. It is recommended to have experience driving in such conditions.
5. By Boat: If you are coming from Peru, you can take a boat across Lake Titicaca to reach Copacabana, a town located on the shores of the lake. From there, you can take a bus or taxi to La Paz.
It is important to check the current travel restrictions and entry requirements before planning your trip to La Paz, as they may vary due to the COVID-19 pandemic or other factors.
Rent A Car In La Paz
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in La Paz.
Nearby Destinantion From La Paz
1. El Alto: A bustling city known for its vibrant markets and stunning views of the Andes.
2. Cochabamba: The gastronomic capital of Bolivia, offering delicious traditional cuisine and a pleasant climate.
3. Sucre: Bolivia's constitutional capital, renowned for its well-preserved colonial architecture and rich history.
4. Oruro: Famous for its extravagant Carnival celebrations, showcasing colorful costumes and lively dances.
5. Potosi: Home to the historic Cerro Rico silver mines, providing a glimpse into Bolivia's colonial past.
6. Tarija: A charming wine region known for its vineyards, producing some of Bolivia's finest wines.
7. Santa Cruz: Bolivia's largest city, offering a mix of modernity and tradition with its vibrant nightlife and historical sites.
8. Copacabana: A picturesque town located on the shores of Lake Titicaca, known for its stunning sunsets and sacred Inca sites.
9. Uyuni: Gateway to the mesmerizing Salar de Uyuni, the world's largest salt flat, offering surreal landscapes and unique photo opportunities.
10. Rurrenabaque: A gateway to the Bolivian Amazon, offering opportunities for wildlife spotting and jungle adventures.