Fun Things to Do in Canela | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Canela, a charming town nestled in the heart of the Serra Gaucha region. Known for its breathtaking natural beauty, Canela offers a unique blend of stunning landscapes, rich cultural heritage, and thrilling outdoor activities. As you explore this enchanting destination, you will be captivated by the majestic waterfalls, lush green valleys, and picturesque mountains that surround the town. Immerse yourself in the local culture by visiting the iconic Catedral de Pedra, a magnificent gothic-style cathedral that stands as a testament to the town's architectural prowess. For adventure seekers, Canela offers exhilarating opportunities such as hiking through the Parque Estadual do Caracol, where you can witness the awe-inspiring Caracol Waterfall, or taking a thrilling cable car ride to the top of the Serra do Rio do Rastro for panoramic views that will leave you breathless. With its natural wonders and cultural treasures, Canela is a destination that promises an unforgettable travel experience.
Canela Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Canela for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Canela in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Canela Trip
Planning a trip to Canela on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Canela
Canela Travel Guide
Quick overview of Canela with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Canela
Canela is a beautiful city located in the southern region of the country. It offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Here are some things to do in Canela:
1. Visit the stunning Cathedral of Our Lady of Lourdes: This iconic church is a must-see attraction in Canela. Its Gothic architecture and beautiful stained glass windows make it a truly breathtaking sight.
2. Explore the Caracol State Park: This park is home to the famous Caracol Waterfall, one of the most impressive natural wonders in Brazil. Hike through the park's trails and enjoy the stunning views of the waterfall and surrounding nature.
3. Take a ride on the Bondinhos Aereos: These cable cars offer a unique way to experience the beauty of Canela. Glide over the treetops and enjoy panoramic views of the city and its surroundings.
4. Discover the Alpen Park: This amusement park is perfect for families and thrill-seekers alike. Enjoy exciting rides, go-karting, and a variety of other attractions. Don't miss the Alpine Coaster, a thrilling roller coaster that takes you through the beautiful landscape.
5. Visit the Stone Church: Also known as the Church of St. Peter, this historic church is a popular tourist attraction in Canela. Admire its unique architecture and beautiful interior.
6. Explore the Florybal Chocolate Factory: Indulge your sweet tooth and learn about the chocolate-making process at this popular factory. Take a guided tour and sample delicious chocolates along the way.
7. Enjoy the Canela Steam Train: Take a nostalgic journey aboard this historic steam train. Experience the charm of a bygone era as you travel through the picturesque countryside.
8. Visit the Mundo a Vapor: This unique museum showcases the history of steam power and industrial machinery. Explore the exhibits and learn about the fascinating world of steam technology.
9. Take a day trip to nearby Gramado: Just a short distance from Canela, Gramado is another charming city worth exploring.
Tours And Activities In Canela
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Canela at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Canela
The best time to visit Canela is during the spring and fall seasons, which occur from September to November and from March to May. During these months, the weather is mild and pleasant, with average temperatures ranging from 15°C to 25°C (59°F to 77°F). Additionally, these seasons offer lower tourist crowds compared to the peak summer months of December to February. It is important to note that Canela experiences higher rainfall during the summer months, so visiting during the spring or fall can provide a more enjoyable and comfortable experience.
Flight Calendar For Canela
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Canela.
Best Hotels To Stay In Canela
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Canela's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Canela
Canela is a beautiful city located in the southern region of the country. It is known for its stunning natural landscapes, charming architecture, and rich cultural heritage. When it comes to finding the best areas for accommodation in Canela, there are a few standout options:
1. Downtown Canela: This area is perfect for those who want to be in the heart of the city. It offers a range of accommodation options, from budget-friendly hotels to luxurious resorts. Staying in downtown Canela allows visitors to easily explore the city's main attractions, such as the Catedral de Pedra (Stone Cathedral) and the Parque do Caracol (Caracol Park).
2. Gramado-Canela Road: This scenic road connects the neighboring cities of Gramado and Canela and is lined with beautiful hotels and guesthouses. Staying along this road offers a peaceful and picturesque setting, with easy access to both cities' attractions. Visitors can enjoy the stunning views of the surrounding mountains and indulge in the region's famous chocolate factories and gourmet restaurants.
3. Vila Suzana: Located on the outskirts of Canela, Vila Suzana is a tranquil residential area that offers a range of accommodation options, including cozy bed and breakfasts and charming cottages. This area is perfect for those seeking a peaceful retreat surrounded by nature. Vila Suzana is also close to the Parque Estadual do Caracol, where visitors can admire the breathtaking Caracol Waterfall.
4. Laje de Pedra: Situated in a privileged location, Laje de Pedra is a high-end residential area that offers luxurious accommodations, such as resorts and upscale hotels. This area is known for its beautiful landscapes, including a stunning golf course and panoramic views of the surrounding mountains. Staying in Laje de Pedra guarantees a luxurious and exclusive experience in Canela.
Overall, Canela offers a variety of accommodation options to suit different preferences and budgets. Whether you prefer to stay in the bustling downtown area, along the scenic Gramado-Canela Road, in a peaceful residential neighborhood like Vila Suzana, or in a luxurious setting like Laje de Pedra, you are sure to find the perfect place to stay and enjoy all that Canela has to offer.
Hotels Map Of Canela
Easily navigate your Canela journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Canela with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Canela
The transportation options to Canela include:
1. Airplane: The nearest airport to Canela is the Hugo Cantergiani Regional Airport (CXJ) in Caxias do Sul, which is approximately 75 kilometers away. From the airport, you can take a taxi or hire a private transfer to reach Canela.
2. Bus: Canela is well-connected by bus services from major cities in Brazil. You can take a bus from cities like Porto Alegre, Sao Paulo, or Rio de Janeiro to reach Canela. The bus journey may take several hours, depending on the distance.
3. Car: If you prefer driving, you can rent a car and take the BR-116 or RS-235 highways to reach Canela. The city is located approximately 120 kilometers north of Porto Alegre, the capital of Rio Grande do Sul state.
4. Taxi or Private Transfer: You can also hire a taxi or arrange a private transfer from nearby cities or airports to reach Canela. This option provides convenience and flexibility, especially if you have a lot of luggage or prefer a more comfortable journey.
Once you arrive in Canela, you can use local transportation options such as taxis, buses, or rental bikes to explore the city and its attractions.
Rent A Car In Canela
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Canela.
Nearby Destinantion From Canela
1. Gramado: A charming town known for its European architecture and stunning natural landscapes.
2. Nova Petropolis: A small city famous for its German heritage and beautiful flower gardens.
3. Sao Francisco de Paula: A peaceful town surrounded by mountains and lakes, perfect for outdoor activities.
4. Bento Goncalves: The wine capital of Brazil, offering vineyards, wine tastings, and cultural experiences.
5. Cambara do Sul: Home to breathtaking canyons and waterfalls, a paradise for nature lovers and hikers.
6. Farroupilha: A historical city with well-preserved colonial buildings and a rich cultural heritage.
7. Caxias do Sul: The second-largest city in Rio Grande do Sul, known for its industrial development and Italian influence.
8. Carlos Barbosa: A small town famous for its Italian traditions, especially its wine and gastronomy.
9. Garibaldi: A charming city renowned for its sparkling wine production and picturesque landscapes.
10. Tres Coroas: A peaceful town surrounded by nature, offering outdoor activities and spiritual retreats.