Fun Things to Do in Paraty | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Paraty! Nestled along the stunning Costa Verde, Paraty is a charming colonial town that offers a perfect blend of history, culture, and natural beauty. With its cobblestone streets, colorful buildings, and picturesque beaches, this UNESCO World Heritage site is a true gem of Brazil. As you wander through the town's well-preserved historic center, you'll be transported back in time to the 18th century, when Paraty was a bustling port for gold and diamond shipments. Today, the town is known for its vibrant arts scene, with numerous galleries and workshops showcasing the talents of local artists. Additionally, Paraty is surrounded by lush rainforests and crystal-clear waters, making it a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts. Whether you're exploring the colonial architecture, lounging on the pristine beaches, or embarking on a thrilling hike through the Atlantic Forest, Paraty promises an unforgettable travel experience.
Paraty Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Paraty for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Paraty in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Paraty Trip
Planning a trip to Paraty on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Paraty
Paraty Travel Guide
Quick overview of Paraty with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Paraty
Paraty is a charming coastal town located in the state of Rio de Janeiro. It is known for its well-preserved colonial architecture, cobblestone streets, and beautiful beaches. Here are some things to do in Paraty:
1. Explore the Historic Center: Take a stroll through the cobblestone streets of Paraty's Historic Center, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Admire the colonial architecture of the colorful buildings and visit the historic churches such as the Church of Santa Rita and the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary.
2. Boat Tours: Paraty is surrounded by stunning beaches and islands, making it a perfect destination for boat tours. Hop on a boat tour and explore the pristine beaches of Paraty, such as Praia do Sono and Praia do Cachadaco. You can also visit the nearby islands like Ilha Comprida and Ilha do Pelado.
3. Waterfalls and Natural Pools: Paraty is blessed with an abundance of waterfalls and natural pools. Take a hike through the lush rainforest and discover hidden gems like Cachoeira do Toboga and Cachoeira do Tarzan. Enjoy a refreshing swim in the crystal-clear waters and immerse yourself in the natural beauty of the region.
4. Cultural Events: Paraty is known for its vibrant cultural scene. Plan your visit during one of the annual festivals such as the FLIP (Paraty International Literary Festival) or the Paraty Carnival. These events showcase the rich literary, musical, and artistic traditions of the town.
5. Visit the Museums: Paraty is home to several interesting museums that offer insights into the town's history and culture. Museu de Arte Sacra displays religious art and artifacts, while Museu Forte Defensor Perpetuo showcases the town's military history. Museu do Cais provides a glimpse into Paraty's maritime heritage.
6. Try Local Cuisine: Indulge in the flavors of Paraty by trying the local cuisine.
Tours And Activities In Paraty
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Paraty at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Paraty
The best time to visit Paraty is during the dry season, which runs from April to October. During this time, the weather is pleasantly warm with low humidity and minimal rainfall. The peak tourist season in Paraty is from June to August, when the city hosts various cultural events and festivals. However, it is also the busiest time, so expect larger crowds and higher prices for accommodations. If you prefer a quieter and more affordable experience, consider visiting Paraty during the shoulder seasons of April to May or September to October.
Flight Calendar For Paraty
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Paraty.
Best Hotels To Stay In Paraty
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Paraty's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Paraty
Paraty is a charming coastal town located in the state of Rio de Janeiro. It is known for its well-preserved colonial architecture, cobblestone streets, and beautiful beaches. When it comes to accommodation, there are several best areas that offer unique experiences for visitors.
1. Historic Center: The Historic Center of Paraty is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is the heart of the town. It is lined with colorful colonial buildings that have been converted into boutique hotels, guesthouses, and charming bed and breakfasts. Staying in this area allows you to be in the midst of the town's cultural and historical attractions, as well as its vibrant nightlife.
2. Jabaquara: Jabaquara is a neighborhood located just a short distance from the Historic Center. It is known for its calm and shallow beach, making it a popular choice for families and those looking for a more relaxed atmosphere. There are several beachfront hotels and vacation rentals available in this area, offering stunning views of the ocean and easy access to water sports activities.
3. Pontal: Pontal is another neighborhood in Paraty that offers a mix of colonial charm and natural beauty. It is located at the mouth of the Pereque-Acu River and is known for its picturesque views of the bay. This area is home to a variety of accommodations, including boutique hotels, guesthouses, and vacation rentals. Staying in Pontal allows you to enjoy the tranquility of the river while still being within walking distance of the town's main attractions.
4. Trindade: If you're looking for a more secluded and nature-oriented experience, Trindade is the perfect area to consider. Located about 30 minutes away from Paraty, this small fishing village offers pristine beaches, lush forests, and stunning waterfalls. There are several eco-lodges and beachfront cabins available for accommodation, allowing you to immerse yourself in the natural beauty of the area.
Overall, Paraty offers a range of accommodation options in different areas, each with its own unique charm and attractions. Whether you prefer to stay in the Historic Center, enjoy the tranquility of Jabaquara or Pontal, or explore the natural wonders of Trindade, you're sure to find the perfect place to stay in this enchanting Brazilian town.
Hotels Map Of Paraty
Easily navigate your Paraty journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Paraty with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Paraty
There are several transportation options to get to Paraty:
1. By Air: The nearest airport to Paraty is Rio de Janeiro-Galeao International Airport (GIG). From there, you can take a domestic flight to Rio de Janeiro-Santos Dumont Airport (SDU) and then continue by bus or taxi to Paraty.
2. By Bus: Paraty is well-connected by bus from major cities in Brazil, including Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo. There are regular bus services from Rio de Janeiro's Novo Rio Bus Terminal and Sao Paulo's Tiete Bus Terminal to Paraty.
3. By Car: Paraty is accessible by car via the BR-101 highway. The journey from Rio de Janeiro takes approximately 4 hours, while from Sao Paulo it takes around 5 hours. It is important to note that the historic center of Paraty is pedestrian-only, so you will need to park your car outside the city and explore on foot.
4. By Boat: Paraty is also accessible by boat from nearby islands and coastal towns. There are boat tours and ferry services available from destinations such as Ilha Grande and Angra dos Reis.
Once in Paraty, the main mode of transportation within the town is by foot, as the historic center is best explored on foot due to its narrow cobblestone streets. Taxis and bicycles are also available for getting around.
Rent A Car In Paraty
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Paraty.
Nearby Destinantion From Paraty
1. Angra dos Reis: A coastal town known for its stunning beaches and crystal-clear waters.
2. Ubatuba: A popular beach destination with over 100 beautiful beaches and a vibrant surf culture.
3. Ilhabela: A picturesque island known for its lush rainforests, waterfalls, and pristine beaches.
4. Cunha: A charming mountain town famous for its pottery and breathtaking landscapes.
5. Trindade: A small fishing village surrounded by stunning beaches, natural pools, and hiking trails.
6. Mangaratiba: A tranquil coastal town with beautiful beaches and access to the stunning Ilha Grande.
7. Paraty-Mirim: A peaceful village with a secluded beach and a historical church dating back to the 18th century.
8. Sao Sebastiao: A historic coastal city with colonial architecture, beautiful beaches, and a lively nightlife.
9. Caraguatatuba: A bustling beach town with a wide range of water sports activities and vibrant beachfront bars.
10. Guaratingueta: A charming city known for its religious heritage, including the Basilica of the National Shrine of Our Lady of Aparecida.