Fun Things to Do in Santarem | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Santarem! Located in the heart of the Amazon rainforest, Santarem is a vibrant city that offers a unique blend of natural beauty and cultural heritage. As one of the gateways to the Amazon, this enchanting destination is a paradise for nature lovers and adventure seekers. From exploring the lush rainforest and encountering exotic wildlife to immersing yourself in the rich indigenous culture, Santarem promises an unforgettable experience. Don't miss the opportunity to witness the meeting of the waters, where the Amazon and Tapajos rivers merge, creating a breathtaking natural phenomenon. Whether you're looking to embark on a thrilling jungle expedition or simply relax on the pristine beaches, Santarem has something for everyone.
Santarem Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Santarem for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Santarem in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Santarem Trip
Planning a trip to Santarem on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Santarem
Santarem Travel Guide
Quick overview of Santarem with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Santarem
Santarem offers a variety of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Located in the Amazon Rainforest region, this city is known for its natural beauty and cultural heritage. Here are some must-see and must-do things in Santarem:
1. Meeting of the Waters: Witness the spectacular phenomenon where the Amazon River and Tapajos River meet but do not mix due to differences in temperature, speed, and water density. Take a boat tour to experience this natural wonder up close.
2. Alter do Chao: Visit this stunning beach located just outside Santarem. Known as the "Caribbean of the Amazon," Alter do Chao offers crystal-clear waters, white sand, and a relaxing atmosphere. Enjoy swimming, sunbathing, and exploring the nearby Lago Verde (Green Lake).
3. Maica Lake: Embark on a boat trip to Maica Lake, a pristine freshwater lake surrounded by lush vegetation. Here, you can observe wildlife, go fishing, or simply enjoy the tranquility of the surroundings.
4. Mercadao 2000: Explore this vibrant market where you can find a wide range of local products such as fruits, vegetables, handicrafts, and Amazonian spices. Immerse yourself in the colors, sounds, and flavors of the region.
5. Santarem Municipal Market: Discover the local culture by visiting this bustling market. Here, you can sample traditional dishes like tacaca (a spicy soup) and tapioca (a popular Brazilian snack). Don't forget to buy souvenirs like handmade crafts and local delicacies.
6. Floresta Nacional do Tapajos: Explore this protected area of the Amazon Rainforest, which offers hiking trails, wildlife spotting, and birdwatching opportunities. Immerse yourself in the pristine nature and learn about the importance of conservation.
Tours And Activities In Santarem
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Santarem at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Santarem
The best time to visit Santarem is during the dry season, which runs from July to December. This is when the weather is most pleasant, with warm temperatures and minimal rainfall. The wet season, from January to June, can be quite humid and rainy, which may hinder outdoor activities and sightseeing. However, if you are interested in experiencing the Amazon rainforest at its fullest, visiting during the wet season can provide a unique and vibrant experience. It is important to note that temperatures remain relatively consistent throughout the year, ranging from 25°C to 32°C (77°F to 90°F).
Flight Calendar For Santarem
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Santarem.
Best Hotels To Stay In Santarem
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Santarem's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Santarem
Santarem offers several great areas for accommodation. Here are a few of the best areas to consider:
1. Downtown Santarem: This area is the heart of the city and offers a vibrant atmosphere with a mix of historical and modern attractions. It is home to many hotels, restaurants, and shops, making it a convenient choice for tourists. Additionally, the waterfront promenade along the Tapajos River provides stunning views and a pleasant place to relax.
2. Alter do Chao: Known as the "Caribbean of the Amazon," Alter do Chao is a charming village located about 30 kilometers from Santarem. It is famous for its beautiful white sand beaches and crystal-clear waters. Accommodation options here range from cozy guesthouses to luxury resorts, allowing visitors to enjoy a tranquil and picturesque stay.
3. Maica: Situated on the outskirts of Santarem, Maica is a residential neighborhood that offers a quieter and more peaceful atmosphere. It is a great choice for those seeking a more local experience and a chance to immerse themselves in the daily life of the locals. The area has a few guesthouses and small hotels, providing a comfortable stay away from the hustle and bustle of the city center.
4. Tapajos National Forest: For nature lovers and adventure seekers, staying in the Tapajos National Forest can be an unforgettable experience. This protected area offers a wide range of eco-lodges and jungle resorts, allowing visitors to explore the Amazon rainforest and discover its unique flora and fauna. It is a perfect choice for those looking to disconnect from the outside world and reconnect with nature.
Overall, Santarem offers a variety of accommodation options in different areas, catering to various preferences and interests. Whether you prefer a bustling city center, a tranquil village, a residential neighborhood, or an immersive rainforest experience, Santarem has something to offer for everyone.
Hotels Map Of Santarem
Easily navigate your Santarem journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Santarem with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Santarem
There are several transportation options to Santarem.
1. By Air: The nearest airport to Santarem is Santarem-Maestro Wilson Fonseca Airport (STM). There are regular domestic flights from major cities in Brazil, such as Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, to Santarem.
2. By Bus: Santarem is well-connected by bus services from various cities in Brazil. There are long-distance buses that operate from major cities like Belem, Manaus, and Brasilia to Santarem. The journey duration may vary depending on the starting point.
3. By Boat: Santarem is located on the banks of the Amazon River, making it accessible by boat. There are regular boat services that connect Santarem to other cities along the Amazon River, such as Manaus and Belem. The journey by boat can be a scenic and adventurous option.
4. By Car: Santarem is connected to the Brazilian highway network, making it accessible by car. The BR-163 and BR-230 highways are the main routes to reach Santarem by road. The journey duration will depend on the starting point and road conditions.
It is recommended to check the availability and schedules of transportation options before planning your trip to Santarem.
Rent A Car In Santarem
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Santarem.
Nearby Destinantion From Santarem
1. Belem: A vibrant city known for its rich history and stunning architecture.
2. Manaus: The gateway to the Amazon rainforest, offering unique wildlife experiences and breathtaking natural beauty.
3. Macapa: A charming coastal city with a blend of indigenous and colonial influences.
4. Boa Vista: The capital of Roraima, surrounded by stunning savannah landscapes and close to Mount Roraima.
5. Altamira: A town located on the Xingu River, famous for its proximity to the stunning Belo Monte Dam.
6. Itaituba: A bustling port city on the Tapajos River, known for its gold mining history and beautiful waterfalls.
7. Oriximina: A peaceful riverside town surrounded by lush rainforests and home to the Trombetas River.
8. Juruti: A small town known for its bauxite mining industry and the picturesque Juruti Lake.
9. Monte Alegre: A historic town with ancient rock paintings and the stunning Monte Alegre Archaeological Park.
10. Obidos: A charming colonial town with colorful houses and a picturesque waterfront on the Amazon River.