Frequently Asked Questions About CitieSkaftafells
Which time of the year is best to visit Skaftafell?
The best time to visit Skaftafell is during the summer months, from June through August. The days are long with up to 21 hours of daylight allowing for plenty of time to explore and take in all that this unique landscape has to offer. During these months, temperatures can reach as high as 15°C (60°F) on average with lows around 5°C (41°F). Winter visits will also be rewarding but may require a bit more preparation due to Arctic temperatures. The winter months are generally November through March and daytime highs range between 0-5°C (32-41°F).
Which area is good to stay in Skaftafell?
The best area to stay in Skaftafell is in the town of Hofn, which is about 40 minutes away from the national park. This family-friendly town offers a variety of accommodation options ranging from hotels and hostels to camping sites. In addition, there are several restaurants and shops available nearby for convenience. The town also provides easy access to some of the most popular attractions within Skaftafell such as Svartifoss waterfall and Morsardalur Valley. Additionally, many guided tours operate out of Hofn that can take visitors around the national park and introduce them to all it has to offer.
What are popular places to visit in Skaftafell?
The popular attractions in Skaftafell include:
1. Svartifoss Waterfall, a unique waterfall whose walls are made up of black basalt columns.
2. Morsardalur Valley, a beautiful valley surrounded by glaciers and mountains.
3. Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon, an impressive glacial lagoon filled with icebergs.
4. Fjallsárlón Glacier Lagoon, another stunning glacial lagoon filled with blue ice bergs.
5. Lomagnupur Mountain, an iconic peak that offers incredible views of the area.
6. Vesturdalur Valley, a picturesque valley dotted with small lakes and rivers.
Where can I find the best local food in Skaftafell?
The best places to eat food in Skaftafell are:
1. Gamla Riff, a cozy cafe serving traditional Icelandic dishes.
2. Hella Steikhusid, a restaurant offering delicious steaks and other grilled meats.
3. Sveitabarinn, an upscale restaurant with a great selection of seafood dishes.
4. Systrafeli Cafe, a charming eatery with freshly made pastries and sandwiches.
5. Vinbudin Hofn, an excellent wine bar that also serves light meals like salads and soups.
What are popular shopping places in Skaftafell?
The best places to do shopping in Skaftafell are:
1. Kjörbúdin, a store that carries a wide selection of souvenirs and traditional Icelandic clothing.
2. Hofn Souvenir Shop, offering many unique items such as postcards and local handicrafts.
3. Vinbudin Hofn, an excellent wine shop with a great selection of both local and international options.
4. N1 Gas Station, the only gas station in the area which also offers groceries and other convenience items.
What are the best nightlife options in Skaftafell?
The best nightlife options in Skaftafell are:
1. Gamla Riff, a cozy cafe that serves traditional drinks such as beer and wine.
2. Sveitabarinn, an upscale restaurant with a bar serving classic cocktails.
3. Systrafeli Cafe, a charming eatery offering live music on the weekends.
4. Vinbudin Hofn, an excellent wine bar featuring local and international wines.
What are some good day trips from Skaftafell?
The best day trips near Skaftafell include:
1. Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon, an iconic glacial lagoon that offers a unique experience.
2. Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon, a stunning canyon surrounded by steep cliffs and lush vegetation.
3. Vatnajökull National Park, Iceland’s largest national park with many glaciers and mountains to explore.
4. Svínafellsjökull Glacier, a breathtaking glacier located close to the town of Hofn.
5. Dyrhólaey Nature Reserve, an area famous for its rocky seascapes and bird watching opportunities.