Fun Things to Do in Kolkata | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Kolkata's cultural capital and a city that seamlessly blends tradition with modernity. Located on the eastern banks of the Hooghly River, Kolkata is a vibrant metropolis known for its rich history, literary heritage, and artistic pursuits. As the former capital of British India, this city boasts an array of architectural marvels, including the iconic Victoria Memorial and the majestic Howrah Bridge. Kolkata is also home to numerous cultural festivals, such as Durga Puja, which attracts millions of visitors each year. With its bustling markets, delectable street food, and warm hospitality, Kolkata offers a unique and immersive travel experience that will leave you captivated.
Kolkata Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Kolkata for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Kolkata in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Kolkata Trip
Planning a trip to Kolkata on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Kolkata
Kolkata Travel Guide
Quick overview of Kolkata with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Kolkata
Kolkata, offers a plethora of things to do that cater to various interests and preferences. Here are some main activities and attractions that you should consider exploring:
1. Visit the Victoria Memorial: This iconic monument is a must-visit in Kolkata. It is a stunning white marble building that showcases the city's colonial heritage and houses a museum with a vast collection of artifacts.
2. Explore the Howrah Bridge: One of the most famous landmarks in Kolkata, the Howrah Bridge is an engineering marvel. Take a stroll across this iconic bridge to experience the bustling atmosphere and enjoy panoramic views of the Hooghly River.
3. Discover the Indian Museum: Established in 1814, the Indian Museum is the oldest and largest museum in India. It houses an extensive collection of art, archaeology, and natural history artifacts, including the famous Egyptian mummy.
4. Take a boat ride on the Hooghly River: Enjoy a leisurely boat ride on the Hooghly River, which flows through Kolkata. This allows you to witness the city's vibrant riverside culture, admire the beautiful ghats (riverfront steps), and catch glimpses of iconic landmarks.
5. Visit the Dakshineswar Kali Temple: Located on the eastern bank of the Hooghly River, this famous Hindu temple is dedicated to Goddess Kali. It is renowned for its stunning architecture and religious significance, attracting devotees and tourists alike.
6. Explore the Marble Palace: This magnificent mansion is a hidden gem in Kolkata. Built in the 19th century, it showcases a unique blend of European and Indian architectural styles. The palace is home to an impressive collection of art, including paintings, sculptures, and antique furniture.
7. Indulge in street food: Kolkata is renowned for its delectable street food. Don't miss the opportunity to savor local favorites like puchka (pani puri), kathi rolls, jhal muri (spicy puffed rice), and mishti doi (sweet yogurt) from the numerous street food stalls and markets.
8. Experience the Durga Puja festival: If you visit Kolkata during the Durga Puja festival, you'll witness the city come alive with vibrant decorations, elaborate pandals (temporary structures), and cultural performances. This festival celebrates the victory of Goddess Durga over evil and is a significant cultural event in Kolkata.
Tours And Activities In Kolkata
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Kolkata at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Kolkata
The best time to visit Kolkata is during the winter months of November to February. During this time, the weather is pleasant and cool, with temperatures ranging from 15 to 25 degrees Celsius. This makes it ideal for exploring the city's historical landmarks, such as the Victoria Memorial and Howrah Bridge, without being affected by the extreme heat and humidity that Kolkata experiences during the summer months. Additionally, the festive season in Kolkata, including Durga Puja and Diwali, falls during this time, adding to the vibrant atmosphere of the city.
Flight Calendar For Kolkata
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Kolkata.
Best Hotels To Stay In Kolkata
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Kolkata's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Kolkata
Kolkata offers a variety of areas for accommodation, each with its own unique charm and attractions. Here are some of the best areas to consider:
1. Park Street: Known as the "heart of Kolkata," Park Street is a vibrant and bustling area with numerous hotels, restaurants, and shops. It is famous for its nightlife, with numerous pubs and clubs lining the street. Park Street is also home to iconic landmarks like St. Xavier's College and the Indian Museum.
2. Salt Lake City: Located in the eastern part of Kolkata, Salt Lake City is a planned satellite town known for its modern infrastructure and green spaces. It is a popular choice for business travelers and families due to its proximity to the IT hub and educational institutions. The area also boasts shopping malls, sports complexes, and the beautiful Salt Lake Central Park.
3. Ballygunge: Ballygunge is a posh residential area in South Kolkata, known for its upscale homes and serene atmosphere. It offers a mix of luxury hotels, boutique guesthouses, and serviced apartments. Ballygunge is well-connected to the city center and is close to popular attractions like Victoria Memorial and Birla Mandir.
4. New Town: New Town is a rapidly developing area on the outskirts of Kolkata, known for its modern infrastructure and IT parks. It offers a range of accommodation options, including budget hotels and serviced apartments. The area is also home to Eco Park, a sprawling urban park with lakes, gardens, and recreational activities.
5. Sudder Street: Sudder Street is a popular choice for budget travelers and backpackers. Located in the heart of Kolkata, it offers affordable guesthouses, hostels, and budget hotels. The area is known for its vibrant street markets, where you can find handicrafts, books, and local street food.
Overall, Kolkata offers a diverse range of accommodation options in various areas, catering to different preferences and budgets. Whether you prefer a bustling city center or a peaceful residential neighborhood, Kolkata has something to offer for everyone.
Hotels Map Of Kolkata
Easily navigate your Kolkata journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Kolkata with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Kolkata
There are several transportation options available to travel to Kolkata.
1. Air: Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport in Kolkata is well-connected to major cities in India and around the world. Several domestic and international airlines operate regular flights to and from Kolkata.
2. Train: Kolkata is a major railway hub in India, and there are several trains connecting it to various cities across the country. Howrah Junction and Sealdah Railway Station are the two main railway stations in Kolkata.
3. Bus: Kolkata has a well-developed bus network, and there are regular bus services connecting it to nearby cities and towns. State-run buses as well as private operators provide bus services to and from Kolkata.
4. Metro: Kolkata Metro is the oldest underground metro system in India and provides a convenient mode of transportation within the city. It connects various parts of Kolkata and its suburbs.
5. Taxi/Cab: Taxis and cabs are readily available in Kolkata for local transportation as well as for traveling to nearby cities. App-based cab services like Uber and Ola are also popular in the city.
6. Auto-rickshaw: Auto-rickshaws are a common mode of transportation for short distances within the city. They are easily available and can be a convenient option for traveling within Kolkata.
7. Ferry: Kolkata is situated on the banks of the Hooghly River, and there are ferry services available for crossing the river and traveling to nearby places like Howrah.
It is advisable to check the availability and timings of the respective modes of transportation before planning your journey to Kolkata.
Rent A Car In Kolkata
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Kolkata.
Nearby Destinantion From Kolkata
1. Howrah: A bustling city known for its iconic Howrah Bridge.
2. Durgapur: An industrial town famous for its steel and coal industries.
3. Asansol: A major coal mining and industrial hub in West Bengal.
4. Bardhaman: A historic city known for its rich cultural heritage and ancient temples.
5. Siliguri: A gateway to the beautiful hill stations of Darjeeling and Sikkim.
6. Haldia: A major port town on the banks of the Hooghly River, known for its petrochemical industry.
7. Bolpur: Home to the famous Visva-Bharati University and the annual Poush Mela.
8. Kharagpur: A town renowned for the prestigious Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) and railway workshops.
9. Barrackpore: A historic town with significant colonial-era landmarks and the famous Gandhi Ghat.
10. Santiniketan: A serene town famous for Rabindranath Tagore's ashram and the Visva-Bharati University.