Fun Things to Do in Malang | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Malang! Located in East Java, this vibrant city is a hidden gem waiting to be explored. Known for its breathtaking landscapes, rich cultural heritage, and friendly locals, Malang offers a unique travel experience like no other. From the majestic Mount Bromo to the stunning waterfalls of Coban Rondo, nature enthusiasts will be in awe of the natural beauty that surrounds this city. History buffs can delve into the past by visiting the ancient temples of Singosari and the colonial architecture of Jalan Ijen. And for those seeking a taste of local cuisine, Malang is famous for its delicious street food, such as bakso (meatball soup) and rujak cingur (a traditional salad). So pack your bags and get ready to immerse yourself in the wonders of Malang!
Malang Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Malang for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Malang in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Malang Trip
Planning a trip to Malang on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Malang
Malang Travel Guide
Quick overview of Malang with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Malang
Malang offers a plethora of activities and attractions that cater to various interests. One of the main things to do in Malang is to explore its natural beauty. Start by visiting the stunning waterfalls such as Coban Rondo and Coban Pelangi, where you can enjoy the majestic cascades and take a refreshing dip in the crystal-clear pools. Another highlight is Mount Bromo, an active volcano that offers breathtaking sunrise views and the opportunity to hike to its crater.
For those interested in history and culture, a visit to the Temples of Singosari is a must. These ancient temples showcase intricate stone carvings and provide insights into the region's rich heritage. Additionally, the Museum Malang Tempo Doeloe offers a glimpse into the city's past through its collection of antiques and photographs.
Food enthusiasts will be delighted by the culinary scene in Malang. The city is famous for its traditional snacks such as bakpao (steamed buns) and onde-onde (glutinous rice balls). Don't miss the opportunity to try the local specialty, Bakso Malang, a flavorful meatball soup. Exploring the night markets is also a great way to sample a variety of local delicacies.
For those seeking adventure, Malang offers exciting outdoor activities. You can go rafting on the Progo River, paragliding over the beautiful landscapes, or cycling through the scenic countryside. The city is also known for its coffee plantations, where you can take a coffee tour and learn about the coffee-making process while enjoying a freshly brewed cup.
Lastly, don't forget to explore the charming neighborhoods of Malang, such as Kampung Warna-Warni (Colorful Village) and Kampung Tridi. These vibrant communities are adorned with colorful murals and offer a unique photo opportunity.
In summary, Malang offers a wide range of activities and attractions.
Tours And Activities In Malang
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Malang at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Malang
The best time to visit Malang is during the dry season, which runs from May to September. During this time, the weather is warm and sunny, making it ideal for outdoor activities and exploring the city's attractions. The rainy season, which occurs from October to April, can bring heavy rainfall and increased humidity, making it less favorable for sightseeing. However, if you don't mind occasional showers, visiting during the shoulder months of April and October can still be enjoyable, as the crowds are smaller and the prices are lower.
Flight Calendar For Malang
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Malang.
Best Hotels To Stay In Malang
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Malang's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Malang
Malang offers a variety of great areas for accommodation. Here are a few of the best areas to consider:
1. Kota Malang: This is the city center of Malang and is a popular choice for tourists due to its convenient location and vibrant atmosphere. Here, you will find a wide range of accommodation options, from budget-friendly guesthouses to luxurious hotels. Kota Malang is also known for its historical sites, such as the iconic Alun-Alun Malang and the beautiful Jami Mosque.
2. Batu: Located just a short drive from Malang, Batu is a picturesque area nestled in the mountains. It is famous for its cool climate and stunning natural attractions, including the breathtaking Coban Rondo Waterfall and the scenic Mount Panderman. In Batu, you can find a mix of cozy guesthouses and resorts that offer a peaceful retreat away from the city's hustle and bustle.
3. Klojen: Situated in the heart of Malang, Klojen is a vibrant neighborhood known for its lively markets and bustling streets. It is a great area to experience the local culture and indulge in delicious street food. Klojen is also home to some of Malang's most popular attractions, such as the vibrant Pasar Bunga and the historic Tugu Malang. Accommodation options in Klojen range from budget-friendly hostels to mid-range hotels.
4. Dinoyo: If you prefer a quieter and more residential area, Dinoyo is a great choice. Located in the southern part of Malang, Dinoyo offers a peaceful environment with easy access to the city center. This area is known for its charming residential streets and beautiful parks, such as Taman Rekreasi Kota and Taman Makam Pahlawan. Accommodation options in Dinoyo include cozy guesthouses and serviced apartments.
5. Sukun: Sukun is another popular area for accommodation in Malang, especially for those seeking a more suburban setting. It is located in the western part of the city and offers a mix of residential areas and commercial establishments. Sukun is known for its wide range of dining options, shopping centers, and entertainment venues. Accommodation in Sukun ranges from budget-friendly hotels to upscale resorts.
Overall, Malang offers a diverse range of areas for accommodation, each with its own unique charm and attractions. Whether you prefer a central location, a mountain retreat, or a peaceful residential area, you
Hotels Map Of Malang
Easily navigate your Malang journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Malang with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Malang
There are several transportation options to get to Malang:
1. Flight: The nearest airport to Malang is Abdul Rachman Saleh Airport (MLG). You can book a flight to this airport from major cities in Indonesia such as Jakarta, Surabaya, or Bali. From the airport, you can take a taxi or a shuttle bus to reach your destination in Malang.
2. Train: Malang is well-connected by train to major cities in Java, such as Jakarta, Surabaya, and Yogyakarta. You can take a train from these cities to Malang. The train journey offers scenic views of the Indonesian countryside.
3. Bus: There are also bus services available to Malang from various cities in Java. You can take a bus from cities like Surabaya, Yogyakarta, or Jakarta. The bus journey may take longer compared to other modes of transportation, but it is a more affordable option.
4. Car: If you prefer to drive, you can rent a car and drive to Malang. The city is accessible via major highways and roads. However, be aware that traffic conditions in Indonesia can be congested, especially in larger cities.
Once you arrive in Malang, you can use local transportation options such as taxis, ride-sharing services, or public buses to get around the city.
Rent A Car In Malang
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Malang.
Nearby Destinantion From Malang
1. Surabaya: The second-largest city in Indonesia, known for its vibrant culture and bustling city life.
2. Batu: A popular tourist destination famous for its cool climate and stunning natural landscapes.
3. Probolinggo: A gateway to Mount Bromo, a famous volcano in East Java, offering breathtaking sunrise views.
4. Blitar: The birthplace of Indonesia's first president, Soekarno, and home to historical sites and museums.
5. Tulungagung: A town known for its traditional batik industry and beautiful natural scenery.
6. Kediri: A city with a rich history, featuring ancient temples and cultural landmarks.
7. Jombang: A religious center with numerous Islamic boarding schools and historical mosques.
8. Ponorogo: Famous for its traditional Javanese puppetry, known as "wayang kulit."
9. Lumajang: Surrounded by stunning waterfalls and mountains, offering opportunities for outdoor activities.
10. Trenggalek: A coastal town with beautiful beaches and a laid-back atmosphere.