Fun Things to Do in Medan | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Medan! Located on the island of Sumatra, Medan is the capital city of North Sumatra province and serves as a gateway to the stunning natural wonders and cultural diversity that this region has to offer. With its rich history, vibrant markets, and mouthwatering cuisine, Medan is a destination that will captivate your senses and leave you wanting more. From exploring the majestic Lake Toba, the largest volcanic lake in the world, to immersing yourself in the unique Batak culture, Medan offers a plethora of experiences for every type of traveler. So pack your bags and get ready to embark on an unforgettable journey through the heart of Indonesia.
Medan Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Medan for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Medan in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Medan Trip
Planning a trip to Medan on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Medan
Medan Travel Guide
Quick overview of Medan with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Medan
Medan offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Located in North Sumatra, this bustling city is known for its rich cultural heritage, delicious cuisine, and vibrant markets.
One of the main attractions in Medan is the Maimun Palace, also known as Istana Maimun. This stunning palace showcases a blend of Malay, Islamic, and European architectural styles. Visitors can explore the palace's grand halls, admire the intricate wood carvings, and learn about the history of the Sultanate of Deli.
Another must-visit destination in Medan is the Great Mosque of Medan, also known as Masjid Raya Al Mashun. This impressive mosque features a unique blend of Middle Eastern and Spanish architectural influences. Visitors can marvel at the mosque's towering minarets, intricate domes, and beautiful stained glass windows.
For those interested in history and culture, a visit to the North Sumatra Museum is highly recommended. This museum houses a vast collection of artifacts and exhibits that showcase the region's history, including traditional costumes, ancient weaponry, and archaeological finds.
Food enthusiasts will be delighted by the culinary scene in Medan. The city is famous for its diverse street food, with local delicacies such as soto Medan (a traditional soup), bika Ambon (a sweet cake), and durian (a pungent fruit) being popular choices. Visitors can explore the bustling food markets and street stalls to sample these delicious treats.
Shopping is also a popular activity in Medan, with numerous markets and malls to explore. The Pajak Ikan Lama Market is a vibrant traditional market where visitors can find a wide variety of goods, including fresh produce, clothing, and handicrafts. For a more modern shopping experience, the Sun Plaza Mall offers a range of international and local brands.
Nature lovers can escape the city and explore the Taman Alam Lumbini, a beautiful Buddhist temple and park located just outside Medan. This serene sanctuary features lush gardens, tranquil ponds, and stunning statues, providing a peaceful retreat from the bustling city.
In conclusion, Medan offers a diverse range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. From exploring historical landmarks and museums to indulging in delicious street food and shopping, there is something for everyone in this vibrant city.
Tours And Activities In Medan
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Medan at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Medan
The best time to visit Medan is during the dry season, which runs from June to September. During this time, the weather is warm and sunny, making it ideal for outdoor activities and exploring the city. The wet season, which occurs from October to February, is characterized by heavy rainfall and high humidity, which can make it uncomfortable to be outside for long periods of time. However, if you don't mind the rain, visiting during the wet season can also have its advantages, such as lower hotel rates and fewer tourists. Overall, the best time to visit Medan is during the dry season for the most enjoyable and comfortable experience.
Flight Calendar For Medan
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Medan.
Best Hotels To Stay In Medan
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Medan's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Medan
Medan offers a variety of areas for accommodation, each with its own unique charm and attractions. Here are some of the best areas to consider:
1. Medan City Center: This bustling area is the heart of Medan, offering a wide range of accommodation options, from luxury hotels to budget-friendly guesthouses. It is conveniently located near popular attractions such as the Maimun Palace and the Great Mosque of Medan. Visitors staying in this area will have easy access to shopping malls, restaurants, and vibrant nightlife.
2. Kesawan: Known for its colonial architecture, Kesawan is a historic area in Medan that exudes charm and nostalgia. It is home to iconic landmarks like the Tjong A Fie Mansion and the Post Office building. Accommodation options in Kesawan range from boutique hotels to heritage guesthouses, providing a unique and memorable stay for history enthusiasts.
3. Polonia: Located near the Medan Train Station, Polonia is a convenient area for travelers who prefer easy access to transportation. It offers a mix of accommodation options, including mid-range hotels and budget-friendly hostels. Polonia is also known for its vibrant street food scene, making it a great choice for food lovers.
4. Deliserdang: For those seeking a tranquil retreat away from the city center, Deliserdang is an excellent choice. This area is known for its lush greenery and serene atmosphere. Accommodation options in Deliserdang include resorts and villas, providing a peaceful getaway surrounded by nature. Visitors can enjoy activities such as hiking, cycling, and exploring nearby attractions like the Sibolangit Waterfall.
5. Marelan: Situated along the Deli River, Marelan offers a scenic setting for accommodation. This area is known for its beautiful river views and peaceful ambiance. Accommodation options in Marelan range from riverside resorts to guesthouses, providing a relaxing stay away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Visitors can also explore nearby attractions such as the Titi Gantung Bridge and the Maimun Saleh Grand Mosque.
Overall, Medan offers a diverse range of areas for accommodation, catering to different preferences and interests. Whether you prefer a central location, a historic neighborhood, or a tranquil retreat, Medan has something to offer for every traveler.
Hotels Map Of Medan
Easily navigate your Medan journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Medan with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Medan
There are several transportation options to get to Medan:
1. Flight: The easiest and fastest way to reach Medan is by taking a flight to Kualanamu International Airport (KNO), which is located approximately 39 kilometers from the city center. Many domestic and international airlines operate flights to Medan.
2. Train: If you are already in Indonesia, you can also consider taking a train to Medan. The city is connected to other major cities in Sumatra, such as Jakarta and Bandung, by train. The journey may take longer compared to flying, but it offers a scenic experience.
3. Bus: Medan is well-connected to other cities in Sumatra by bus. There are several bus companies that operate routes to and from Medan. The duration of the journey depends on the distance and traffic conditions.
4. Ferry: If you are coming from Malaysia, you can take a ferry from Penang or Langkawi to Belawan Port, which is located near Medan. From Belawan Port, you can take a taxi or public transportation to reach Medan.
5. Car: If you prefer to drive, you can rent a car and drive to Medan. The city is accessible via well-maintained roads from other major cities in Sumatra. However, keep in mind that traffic conditions in Medan can be congested, especially during peak hours.
Once you arrive in Medan, there are various transportation options available within the city, including taxis, ride-hailing services, and public transportation such as buses and angkot (minibuses).
Rent A Car In Medan
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Medan.
Nearby Destinantion From Medan
1. Binjai: A bustling city known for its delicious durians.
2. Deliserdang: A regency famous for its beautiful Lake Toba.
3. Tebing Tinggi: A town surrounded by stunning hills and waterfalls.
4. Pematang Siantar: A vibrant city renowned for its Batak culture and culinary delights.
5. Tanjung Balai: A coastal town with pristine beaches and a thriving fishing industry.
6. Sibolga: A charming port city offering breathtaking views of the Indian Ocean.
7. Padang Sidempuan: A historical town known for its traditional Minangkabau architecture.
8. Rantau Prapat: A gateway to the stunning Sipiso-piso Waterfall and the enchanting Berastagi Highlands.
9. Tanjung Morawa: A serene village surrounded by lush rice fields and traditional Indonesian houses.
10. Tebing Tinggi: A small town nestled in the mountains, offering picturesque landscapes and cool climate.