Fun Things to Do in Kota Kinabalu | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Kota Kinabalu! Located on the island of Borneo, this vibrant city is a gateway to the stunning natural wonders of Sabah. With its breathtaking landscapes, rich cultural heritage, and diverse wildlife, Kota Kinabalu offers a truly unforgettable travel experience. Explore the majestic Mount Kinabalu, Southeast Asia's highest peak, and embark on thrilling jungle treks through the Kinabalu National Park. Dive into the crystal-clear waters of the Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park, home to vibrant coral reefs and an array of marine life. Immerse yourself in the local culture by visiting the bustling markets, where you can sample delicious street food and shop for traditional handicrafts. Whether you're an adventure seeker, nature lover, or culture enthusiast, Kota Kinabalu has something for everyone. Get ready to be captivated by the beauty and charm of this enchanting Malaysian city.
Kota Kinabalu Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Kota Kinabalu for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Kota Kinabalu in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Kota Kinabalu Trip
Planning a trip to Kota Kinabalu on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu Travel Guide
Quick overview of Kota Kinabalu with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu offers a plethora of exciting activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Here are some things to do in Kota Kinabalu:
1. Climb Mount Kinabalu: This iconic mountain is a must-visit for adventure enthusiasts. Embark on a challenging trek to the summit and be rewarded with breathtaking views of the surrounding landscapes.
2. Explore Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park: Just a short boat ride away from Kota Kinabalu, this marine park is a paradise for snorkeling and diving. Discover vibrant coral reefs, swim alongside tropical fish, and relax on pristine beaches.
3. Visit the Kota Kinabalu City Mosque: Known as the "Floating Mosque," this stunning architectural masterpiece is a sight to behold. Take a guided tour to learn about its history and admire its intricate design.
4. Discover the Mari Mari Cultural Village: Immerse yourself in the rich cultural heritage of Sabah at this traditional village. Experience traditional dances, sample local cuisine, and learn about the customs and traditions of the indigenous tribes.
5. Go island hopping: Kota Kinabalu is surrounded by numerous picturesque islands. Hop on a boat tour and visit islands like Manukan, Sapi, and Mamutik. Enjoy sunbathing, swimming, and snorkeling in crystal-clear waters.
6. Explore Kinabalu Park: This UNESCO World Heritage Site is home to an incredible diversity of flora and fauna. Take a guided nature walk, visit the botanical gardens, and marvel at the unique pitcher plants and orchids.
7. Indulge in seafood at the Filipino Market: Located in the heart of Kota Kinabalu, this bustling market offers a wide array of fresh seafood. Feast on grilled fish, prawns, and other local delicacies while enjoying the vibrant atmosphere.
8. Take a sunset cruise: Witness a breathtaking sunset over the South China Sea by embarking on a sunset cruise. Relax on board, enjoy a refreshing drink, and capture stunning photographs of the colorful sky.
9. Visit the Sabah State Museum: Learn about the history, culture, and natural heritage of Sabah at this informative museum. Explore the various galleries, including the ethnographic section and the natural history section.
10. Experience the Kota Kinabalu Night Market: Known as "Pasar Malam," this vibrant market comes alive in the evening.
Tours And Activities In Kota Kinabalu
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Kota Kinabalu at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Kota Kinabalu
The best time to visit Kota Kinabalu is between the months of March and October. During this period, the weather is generally dry and sunny, making it ideal for outdoor activities and exploring the city's natural attractions. The main tourist season in Kota Kinabalu falls between June and August, when the weather is at its best and the city is bustling with visitors. However, it is important to note that this is also the peak season, so expect larger crowds and higher prices for accommodations and attractions. If you prefer a quieter experience, consider visiting Kota Kinabalu in March or October, when the weather is still pleasant but the tourist crowds are smaller.
Flight Calendar For Kota Kinabalu
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Kota Kinabalu.
Best Hotels To Stay In Kota Kinabalu
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Kota Kinabalu's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu offers a variety of great areas for accommodation. Here are a few of the best areas to consider:
1. Downtown Kota Kinabalu: This bustling area is perfect for those who want to be in the heart of the city. It is home to numerous hotels, shopping malls, and restaurants, making it a convenient choice for tourists. The waterfront area is particularly popular, offering stunning views of the ocean and easy access to attractions like the Kota Kinabalu City Mosque and the Filipino Market.
2. Tanjung Aru: Located just a short drive from downtown, Tanjung Aru is known for its beautiful beach and stunning sunsets. This area offers a range of accommodation options, from luxury resorts to budget-friendly hotels. Visitors can enjoy relaxing on the beach, exploring the nearby Tanjung Aru Village, or taking a boat trip to the nearby islands.
3. Karamunsing: Situated slightly inland, Karamunsing is a great area for those looking for a quieter stay. It is known for its shopping centers, including the popular Karamunsing Complex, where visitors can find a wide range of products. The area also offers a good selection of hotels and is well-connected to other parts of the city.
4. Likas: Located northeast of downtown, Likas is a residential area that offers a more tranquil atmosphere. It is home to the Likas Bay Park, a popular spot for jogging and cycling, as well as the Likas Sports Complex, which hosts various sporting events. Accommodation options in Likas range from budget-friendly guesthouses to mid-range hotels.
5. Sutera Harbour: This upscale area is known for its luxurious resorts and golf courses. It is situated on a peninsula, offering stunning views of the South China Sea. Sutera Harbour is a great choice for those looking for a relaxing and indulgent stay, with its spa facilities, private beaches, and fine dining options.
Overall, Kota Kinabalu offers a diverse range of accommodation options in various areas, catering to different preferences and budgets. Whether you prefer a bustling city center, a beachfront location, or a quieter residential area, there is something for everyone in this vibrant Malaysian city.
Hotels Map Of Kota Kinabalu
Easily navigate your Kota Kinabalu journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Kota Kinabalu with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Kota Kinabalu
There are several transportation options to Kota Kinabalu.
1. Flight: The easiest and fastest way to reach Kota Kinabalu is by air. Kota Kinabalu International Airport (BKI) is well-connected to major cities in Malaysia and other countries. Various airlines operate regular flights to and from Kota Kinabalu.
2. Bus: There are long-distance buses available from different cities in Malaysia to Kota Kinabalu. The journey duration may vary depending on the starting point, but it is a cost-effective option for those who prefer land travel.
3. Train: Although there is no direct train service to Kota Kinabalu, you can take a train to the nearest city, like Kota Kinabalu, and then continue the journey by bus or taxi.
4. Ferry: If you are coming from nearby islands or neighboring countries like Brunei, you can take a ferry to Kota Kinabalu. There are regular ferry services available from Labuan and Brunei.
5. Car: If you prefer driving, you can rent a car and drive to Kota Kinabalu. The city is well-connected by highways, and the journey can be quite scenic.
It is recommended to check the availability and schedules of transportation options before planning your trip to Kota Kinabalu.
Rent A Car In Kota Kinabalu
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Kota Kinabalu.
Nearby Destinantion From Kota Kinabalu
1. Kinarut: A small coastal town known for its beautiful beaches and traditional fishing villages.
2. Papar: A historic town famous for its colonial architecture and vibrant local markets.
3. Tuaran: A charming village surrounded by lush greenery, offering a peaceful retreat for nature lovers.
4. Kudat: A scenic town located at the northern tip of Borneo, renowned for its stunning sunsets and cultural heritage.
5. Beaufort: A quaint town with a rich history, featuring well-preserved colonial buildings and a bustling railway station.
6. Ranau: A mountainous town nestled in the Crocker Range, offering breathtaking views of Mount Kinabalu and hot springs.
7. Keningau: A vibrant agricultural town known for its vast paddy fields and traditional Sabahan handicrafts.
8. Kota Belud: A picturesque town famous for its weekly tamu (local market) and traditional Bajau horsemen.
9. Tenom: A tranquil town surrounded by lush rainforests, home to the renowned Sabah Agricultural Park.
10. Kuala Penyu: A coastal town boasting pristine beaches and a marine park, perfect for snorkeling and diving enthusiasts.