Frequently Asked Questions About Dakhla
Traveling to Dakhla is an extraordinary experience that can be both relaxing and exciting at the same time. This vibrant oasis town in southwestern Morocco offers a unique combination of modern amenities and traditional charm. Stroll along the coast and discover beautiful beaches, explore the cobbled streets of the old medina, or take a day trip out into nature and marvel at the stunning landscapes. Whether you are looking to experience local culture, relax on sandy shores, or enjoy some shopping and nightlife, Dakhla has something to offer everyone.
When is the best time to travel to Dakhla?
The best time to visit Dakhla is from November to April. During this period, the weather is warm and sunny with temperatures ranging from 70-80°F (21-27°C). The climate of Dakhla is generally mild, making it suitable for outdoor activities such as water sports, desert tours, and bike trips. In addition, you can take advantage of the calm waters in the lagoon and explore its natural beauty. This season also sees fewer visitors than summer months, so if you're looking for a quiet getaway then this could be ideal!
Which is the best place to stay in Dakhla?
The best area to stay in Dakhla is the city centre. This area offers a range of accommodation options, from budget hotels to luxury resorts with beachfront views. You'll also find plenty of restaurants and cafes in this area, as well as local markets where you can pick up souvenirs and gifts. Most of the main attractions are located within walking distance, including the picturesque lagoon and nearby beaches. The city centre is also relatively close to the airport, making it convenient for those who need to travel further afield.
What are some of the best sights to see in Dakhla?
The popular attractions in Dakhla include:
1. The lagoon, which is a tranquil paradise with pristine waters and an abundance of aquatic wildlife.
2. The local markets, where you can pick up souvenirs and gifts.
3. La Pointe de L’Espiguette Beach, which is popular among windsurfers and kitesurfers.
4. The desert safari tours that take you to the stunning dunes of Erg Chigaga.
5. Oum Jdid Fishing Harbour, where you can witness traditional fishing activities.
6. Bird watching trips in nearby Salé Lagoon Nature Reserve.
7. Cultural tours to explore the city’s ancient heritage.
8. Watersports such as paddleboarding, kayaking, and snorkeling.
9. Adventure activities like sandboarding and camel riding.
10. The bustling nightlife scene in the city centre.
What are some good places to eat in Dakhla?
The best places to eat in Dakhla include:
1. Le Coin des Fruits, a popular café serving traditional Moroccan dishes.
2. Le Passage du Pêcheur, a seafood restaurant with stunning views of the lagoon.
3. La Maison Blanche, an upscale French restaurant near the centre of town.
4. La Paillote, a beachside eatery serving grilled seafood and fresh salads.
5. Tajine de Riz et Gemme, a local spot for classic Moroccan tajines.
6. El Jardín del Mar, an Italian restaurant with pizzas and pastas cooked to perfection.
7. Café Noir, an atmospheric café with shisha pipes and extensive tea menus.
8. Le Petit Café, a charming café serving delicious crepes and pastries.
9. La Table du Marché, a trendy market restaurant with an ever-changing menu.
10. El Patio de Dakhla, a hip bar and eatery with live music and DJs.
11. El Bistro de la Plage, a beachside bistro offering Mediterranean cuisine.
What are some good shopping spots in Dakhla?
The best places to do shopping in Dakhla include:
1. Souk Lahraoui, a bustling traditional market with a wide selection of souvenirs and local goods.
2. Marché Central, an open-air market located near the city centre that offers clothing and accessories.
3. La Galerie des Artisans, an artisanal shop selling handmade crafts and jewelry.
4. Centre Commercial de L'Océan, a modern shopping mall with brand name stores.
5. Atlas Market, a large supermarket that stocks international products.
6. La Kasbah d’Al Mansour Eddahbi, a historic shopping district with luxury boutiques and cafes.
7. Place du Souk, a bustling square with shops offering traditional Moroccan items.
8. La Capsule de Maroc, a store that sells vintage clothing and accessories from around the world.
9. Dakhla Soul, a boutique selling bohemian fashion and home decor items.
10. Le Bazar des Aromes, an herbalist shop with natural cosmetics and health products.
11. Port d'Oumaizan, a flea market with vintage furniture and antiques.
What are the best spots to enjoy nightlife in Dakhla?
The best nightlife options in Dakhla include:
1. La Koutoubia, a lively bar with live music and DJs.
2. Le Relais de L'Oasis, an outdoor terrace with gorgeous views of the lagoon.
3. The Beach Bar, a beachside club offering salsa nights and open mic sessions.
4. The Garden Club, a hip bar and lounge located in the city centre.
5. Le Café des Sports, a popular spot for sports fans to watch games on big screen TVs.
6. Pacha Lounge Bar, a chic nightclub with an eclectic mix of music genres.
7. El Bazar, an Arabic restaurant serving hookah pipes and traditional dishes.
What are some nearby day trips from Dakhla?
The best day trips near Dakhla include:
1. Lagoon Island, an idyllic spot for swimming and exploring the nearby reef.
2. Oum Lamboi Nature Reserve, a scenic nature park with diverse wildlife and stunning views.
3. Icht Nature Park, a protected area with spectacular dunes and vast stretches of desert.
4. Smara Valley, an oasis with lush vegetation along the meandering riverbanks.
5. Foum El Oued Beach, a secluded beach offering picturesque coastal views.
6. Laayoune city centre, where you can explore the old medina and souks of this ancient city.
7. Plage des Sables Blancs, a beach with white sand and crystal clear waters.
8. Tagounite Lake, an impressive salt lake with vibrant birdlife and stunning sunsets.
9. Agdz city centre, where you can visit the ruins of an old kasbah and explore quaint alleyways.
10. Oum Er Rebii Mountain, where you can trek to the top for breathtaking views over the landscape.