Fun Things to Do in Leeuwarden | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Leeuwarden, a charming city located in the northern part of the Netherlands. Known for its rich history, vibrant culture, and picturesque canals, Leeuwarden offers a unique travel experience that is sure to captivate any visitor. As the capital of the Friesland province, this city is steeped in tradition and boasts a plethora of historical landmarks, such as the iconic Oldehove tower and the stunning City Hall. Additionally, Leeuwarden is home to a thriving arts scene, with numerous museums and galleries showcasing both contemporary and traditional works. Whether you're strolling along the cobblestone streets, exploring the bustling markets, or indulging in the local cuisine, Leeuwarden promises to leave a lasting impression on all who venture here.
Leeuwarden Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Leeuwarden for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Leeuwarden in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Leeuwarden Trip
Planning a trip to Leeuwarden on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Leeuwarden
Leeuwarden Travel Guide
Quick overview of Leeuwarden with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Leeuwarden
There are many things to do in Leeuwarden that cater to a variety of interests.
One of the main attractions in Leeuwarden is the Fries Museum, which showcases the history and culture of the Friesland region. Visitors can explore the museum's extensive collection of art, artifacts, and interactive exhibits.
Another highlight of Leeuwarden is the Oldehove, a leaning tower that dates back to the 16th century. Climbing to the top of the tower offers panoramic views of the city and surrounding countryside.
For those interested in architecture, a visit to the Blokhuispoort is a must. This former prison has been transformed into a cultural hotspot, housing art galleries, shops, and restaurants.
Leeuwarden is also known for its canals, and a boat tour along the canals is a great way to see the city from a different perspective.
Shopping enthusiasts will enjoy exploring the Nieuwestad, Leeuwarden's main shopping street. Here, visitors can find a mix of local boutiques, international brands, and charming cafes.
For a taste of local cuisine, a visit to the Waagplein is recommended. This lively square is home to several restaurants and cafes where visitors can try traditional Frisian dishes.
Nature lovers can head to the Prinsentuin, a beautiful park located in the heart of the city. This tranquil oasis offers walking paths, gardens, and a historic orangery.
Lastly, Leeuwarden is known for its festivals and cultural events. The city was named the European Capital of Culture in 2018, and since then, it has continued to host a wide range of artistic and cultural activities throughout the year.
In summary, Leeuwarden offers a diverse range of attractions and activities for visitors to enjoy, including museums, historical sites, shopping, canal tours, local cuisine, parks, and cultural events.
Tours And Activities In Leeuwarden
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Leeuwarden at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Leeuwarden
The best time to visit Leeuwarden is during the summer months of June, July, and August. This is when the weather is the warmest and most pleasant, with average temperatures ranging from 17°C to 20°C. Additionally, many outdoor festivals and events take place during this time, such as the Leeuwarden Cultural Capital celebrations. However, it is important to note that summer is also the peak tourist season, so the city may be more crowded and prices for accommodations may be higher. If you prefer milder weather and fewer crowds, spring (April and May) and fall (September and October) are also good times to visit. During these seasons, the temperatures range from 10°C to 15°C, and you can still enjoy outdoor activities and explore the city without the summer crowds. Winter (December to February) is the off-peak season, with colder temperatures ranging from 2°C to 6°C. However, if you don't mind the cold, this can be a great time to visit for lower prices and a more authentic local experience.
Flight Calendar For Leeuwarden
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Leeuwarden.
Best Hotels To Stay In Leeuwarden
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Leeuwarden's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Leeuwarden
Leeuwarden, the capital city of the province of Friesland in the Netherlands, offers a variety of great areas for accommodation. Here are a few of the best areas to consider:
1. City Center: The heart of Leeuwarden, the city center is a vibrant and bustling area with a rich history. It is home to many historical buildings, museums, shops, and restaurants. Staying in the city center allows easy access to all the main attractions and amenities of Leeuwarden.
2. Hempens-Teerns: Located just outside the city center, Hempens-Teerns is a peaceful and picturesque area surrounded by beautiful countryside. It offers a tranquil environment and is perfect for those seeking a more rural setting while still being close to the city.
3. Bilgaard: Situated in the northern part of Leeuwarden, Bilgaard is a residential area known for its green spaces and family-friendly atmosphere. It has a range of housing options, including apartments and houses, and is well-connected to the city center by public transportation.
4. Camminghaburen: Another popular residential area, Camminghaburen is located in the northeastern part of Leeuwarden. It offers a mix of housing types, including apartments and single-family homes, and has a good selection of amenities such as schools, shops, and parks.
5. Vosseparkwijk: Situated to the west of the city center, Vosseparkwijk is a quiet and leafy neighborhood known for its beautiful park. It is a great area for nature lovers and offers a range of housing options, including apartments and houses.
These are just a few of the best areas for accommodation in Leeuwarden. Each area has its own unique charm and advantages, so it's important to consider your preferences and needs when choosing the best place to stay.
Hotels Map Of Leeuwarden
Easily navigate your Leeuwarden journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Leeuwarden with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Leeuwarden
There are several transportation options to get to Leeuwarden:
1. By Air: The nearest international airport to Leeuwarden is Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (AMS). From there, you can take a train or a bus to Leeuwarden. The train journey takes approximately 2 hours, while the bus journey takes around 2.5 hours.
2. By Train: Leeuwarden has a well-connected train station with regular services from major cities in the Netherlands. You can take a train from Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague, or other cities to reach Leeuwarden. The journey time varies depending on the starting point, but it typically takes around 2-3 hours.
3. By Bus: There are also bus services available to Leeuwarden from various cities in the Netherlands. You can check the schedules and book tickets online through the national bus company, such as FlixBus or Arriva.
4. By Car: If you prefer to drive, Leeuwarden is easily accessible by car. The city is well-connected to the Dutch highway network, and there are several parking facilities available in and around the city center.
5. By Bicycle: The Netherlands is known for its extensive cycling infrastructure, and Leeuwarden is no exception. If you are in a nearby city or town, you can consider cycling to Leeuwarden. There are dedicated cycling paths and bike rental services available in the area.
Once you arrive in Leeuwarden, you can use public transportation, such as buses or taxis, to get around the city. Leeuwarden also has a compact city center, making it easy to explore on foot.
Rent A Car In Leeuwarden
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Leeuwarden.
Nearby Destinantion From Leeuwarden
1. Groningen: A vibrant university city known for its historic buildings and lively cultural scene.
2. Sneek: A picturesque town famous for its water sports and charming canals.
3. Harlingen: A coastal city with a rich maritime history and a bustling harbor.
4. Dokkum: A quaint town surrounded by beautiful countryside and known for its well-preserved historic center.
5. Franeker: Home to the oldest functioning planetarium in the world and a charming old town.
6. Drachten: A modern city with a thriving business community and a variety of shopping and entertainment options.
7. Heerenveen: A sports-oriented town known for its ice skating heritage and hosting international sporting events.
8. Bolsward: A historic city with well-preserved medieval architecture and a vibrant cultural scene.
9. Joure: A picturesque village famous for its annual sailing event and charming waterfront.
10. Grou: A popular destination for boating enthusiasts, offering scenic canals and a relaxed atmosphere.