Fun Things to Do in Rotterdam | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Rotterdam, the vibrant and modern city located in the Netherlands! Known for its innovative architecture, bustling port, and diverse cultural scene, Rotterdam offers a unique travel experience that is sure to captivate any visitor. As the second-largest city in the Netherlands, Rotterdam is home to a rich history and a thriving contemporary art scene. Explore the iconic Cube Houses, designed by architect Piet Blom, or take a stroll along the stunning Erasmus Bridge, offering panoramic views of the city's skyline. With its world-class museums, lively markets, and delicious cuisine, Rotterdam is a must-visit destination for any traveler seeking a blend of tradition and modernity.
Rotterdam Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Rotterdam for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Rotterdam in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Rotterdam Trip
Planning a trip to Rotterdam on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Rotterdam
Rotterdam Travel Guide
Quick overview of Rotterdam with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Rotterdam
Rotterdam is a vibrant city with a rich history and plenty of attractions to explore. Here are some things to do in Rotterdam:
1. Visit the Euromast: This iconic tower offers stunning panoramic views of the city and its surroundings. You can also enjoy a meal at the restaurant located at the top.
2. Explore the Markthal: This unique indoor market is a feast for the senses. Admire the colorful murals on the ceiling while browsing through a wide variety of fresh produce, local delicacies, and international cuisine.
3. Take a boat tour on the Maas River: Discover Rotterdam's impressive skyline and architectural wonders from the water. Boat tours provide a different perspective of the city and allow you to see landmarks such as the Erasmus Bridge and the Kop van Zuid district.
4. Visit the Cube Houses: These innovative and quirky houses designed by architect Piet Blom are a must-see. Explore the interior of one of the houses, which has been transformed into a museum, to get a sense of what it's like to live in a tilted cube.
5. Discover the Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen: This art museum houses an extensive collection of paintings, sculptures, and applied arts. From Old Masters to contemporary art, there is something for every art enthusiast to enjoy.
6. Stroll along the Witte de Withstraat: This lively street is known for its trendy shops, art galleries, and vibrant nightlife. Enjoy a drink at one of the many bars or indulge in international cuisine at one of the restaurants.
7. Explore the Delfshaven: This historic neighborhood is a charming area with picturesque canals, old houses, and windmills. Take a leisurely walk along the waterfront and soak in the atmosphere of this well-preserved part of Rotterdam.
8. Visit the Kunsthal Rotterdam: This contemporary art museum hosts a diverse range of exhibitions, showcasing both established and emerging artists. With its ever-changing program, there is always something new and exciting to see.
9. Experience the Rotterdam Zoo: The Blijdorp Zoo is home to a wide variety of animals from around the world. Explore different habitats, watch animal feedings, and learn about conservation efforts.
Tours And Activities In Rotterdam
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Rotterdam at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Rotterdam
The best time to visit Rotterdam is during the summer months of June, July, and August. This is when the weather is the warmest and most pleasant, with average temperatures ranging from 17°C to 21°C (63°F to 70°F). The city comes alive during this time, with numerous outdoor festivals and events taking place. Additionally, the days are longer, allowing visitors to explore the city and enjoy outdoor activities for extended periods of time. However, it is important to note that summer is also the peak tourist season, so expect larger crowds and higher prices for accommodations and attractions. If you prefer quieter and more affordable travel, consider visiting Rotterdam during the shoulder seasons of spring (April and May) or fall (September and October). During these times, the weather is still mild and pleasant, and there are fewer tourists. Winter in Rotterdam can be cold and damp, with average temperatures ranging from 2°C to 6°C (36°F to 43°F), but if you don't mind the cold, it can be a great time to visit for lower prices and festive holiday markets.
Flight Calendar For Rotterdam
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Rotterdam.
Best Hotels To Stay In Rotterdam
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Rotterdam's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Rotterdam
Rotterdam offers a variety of great areas for accommodation. Here are a few of the best areas to consider:
1. Centrum: Located in the heart of Rotterdam, Centrum is the city's bustling downtown area. It is known for its vibrant atmosphere, diverse range of shops, restaurants, and entertainment options. Centrum is also home to many historical landmarks, such as the iconic Markthal and the Cube Houses. With its central location, Centrum is a great choice for those who want to be in the midst of all the action.
2. Kralingen: Situated east of the city center, Kralingen is a charming and picturesque neighborhood. It is known for its leafy streets, beautiful parks, and the popular Kralingse Plas lake. Kralingen offers a more peaceful and residential atmosphere compared to the bustling city center. It is a great area for families or those who prefer a quieter environment while still being within easy reach of the city center.
3. Delfshaven: Located west of the city center, Delfshaven is a historic neighborhood with a rich maritime heritage. It is known for its picturesque canals, old warehouses, and charming cobblestone streets. Delfshaven offers a unique blend of history and modernity, with a range of trendy bars, restaurants, and shops. It is a great area for those who appreciate a mix of old-world charm and contemporary amenities.
4. Noord: Situated north of the city center, Noord is an up-and-coming area that has undergone significant redevelopment in recent years. It is known for its modern architecture, trendy cafes, and cultural attractions such as the Kunsthal museum. Noord offers a more affordable housing option compared to the city center, making it popular among young professionals and students.
5. Blijdorp: Located northwest of the city center, Blijdorp is a green and residential neighborhood. It is known for its spacious parks, including the popular Blijdorp Zoo and the tranquil Vroesenpark. Blijdorp offers a peaceful and family-friendly environment, with a range of amenities such as schools, supermarkets, and recreational facilities. It is a great area for those who value a quieter lifestyle while still being well-connected to the city center.
Overall, Rotterdam offers a diverse range of areas for accommodation, each with its own unique charm and amenities. Whether you prefer the vibrant city center, the
Hotels Map Of Rotterdam
Easily navigate your Rotterdam journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Rotterdam with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Rotterdam
There are several transportation options to get to Rotterdam:
1. Plane: Rotterdam The Hague Airport is the closest airport to the city. From there, you can take a taxi, bus, or train to reach your destination.
2. Train: Rotterdam is well-connected by train to other major cities in the Netherlands and Europe. You can take a train from Amsterdam, The Hague, or other nearby cities to reach Rotterdam Central Station.
3. Bus: There are several bus companies that operate routes to Rotterdam from various cities in the Netherlands and neighboring countries.
4. Car: If you prefer to drive, you can rent a car and take the highway to Rotterdam. The city is easily accessible by road and has good infrastructure for drivers.
5. Ferry: Rotterdam is a major port city, and there are ferry services available from the UK and other European countries. You can take a ferry to the Hook of Holland and then continue your journey to Rotterdam by train or bus.
Once you are in Rotterdam, the city has an efficient public transportation system, including trams, buses, and metro, which can be used to get around the city.
Rent A Car In Rotterdam
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Rotterdam.
Nearby Destinantion From Rotterdam
1. The Hague: The political capital of the Netherlands, known for its historic buildings and international organizations.
2. Delft: Famous for its blue pottery and charming canals, this city is home to the renowned Delft University of Technology.
3. Gouda: A picturesque town famous for its cheese market and beautiful historic center.
4. Leiden: A vibrant university city with a rich cultural heritage, including the birthplace of Rembrandt.
5. Dordrecht: The oldest city in Holland, known for its historic harbors and beautiful architecture.
6. Schiedam: Famous for its historic windmills and jenever (Dutch gin) production.
7. Vlaardingen: A coastal town with a rich maritime history and a bustling fishing industry.
8. Brielle: A fortified town with well-preserved ramparts and a significant role in Dutch history.
9. Maassluis: A charming harbor town with a picturesque old town and a strong maritime character.
10. Spijkenisse: A modern city with a vibrant shopping center and beautiful nature reserves nearby.