Fun Things to Do in Balestrand | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Balestrand! Nestled on the shores of the Sognefjord, this picturesque village is a hidden gem in the heart of the Norwegian fjords. Known for its stunning natural beauty, Balestrand offers visitors a chance to immerse themselves in the tranquility of the surrounding mountains, crystal-clear waters, and lush green landscapes. With its charming wooden houses, historic churches, and friendly locals, this idyllic destination is perfect for those seeking a peaceful retreat. Whether you're interested in hiking through the nearby mountains, exploring the fjords by boat, or simply relaxing and taking in the breathtaking scenery, Balestrand has something for everyone. So pack your bags and get ready to experience the magic of Balestrand!
Balestrand Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Balestrand for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Balestrand in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Balestrand Trip
Planning a trip to Balestrand on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Balestrand
Balestrand Travel Guide
Quick overview of Balestrand with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Balestrand
Balestrand is a picturesque village located on the shores of the Sognefjord, known as the "King of the Fjords." This charming destination offers a plethora of activities and sights that will captivate any visitor.
One of the main attractions in Balestrand is the Sognefjord itself. This majestic fjord stretches over 200 kilometers and is surrounded by towering mountains, cascading waterfalls, and serene landscapes. Exploring the fjord by boat or kayak is a must-do activity, allowing you to fully immerse yourself in the breathtaking natural beauty of the area.
Another highlight of Balestrand is the St. Olaf's Church, a stunning wooden church built in the 19th century. This architectural masterpiece is adorned with intricate wood carvings and offers a glimpse into the region's rich cultural heritage. Visiting this church is a great way to learn about the local history and admire the craftsmanship of the past.
For those interested in art, a visit to the Kviknes Hotel is highly recommended. This historic hotel houses an impressive collection of paintings by renowned Norwegian artists, showcasing the region's artistic talent. Exploring the hotel's art gallery is a unique experience that combines history, culture, and creativity.
Nature enthusiasts will be delighted by the numerous hiking trails surrounding Balestrand. Hiking to the Keipen viewpoint offers panoramic views of the fjord and the surrounding mountains, providing a truly unforgettable experience. Additionally, fishing in the fjord or nearby rivers is a popular activity for both locals and visitors alike.
Balestrand is also home to the Ciderhuset, a local cider producer. Tasting their delicious ciders and learning about the cider-making process is a delightful way to spend an afternoon. The Ciderhuset also offers guided tours where you can gain insights into the history and traditions of cider production in the region.
Lastly, exploring the quaint village of Balestrand itself is a must-do activity.
Tours And Activities In Balestrand
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Balestrand at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Balestrand
The best time to visit Balestrand is during the summer months of June, July, and August. During this time, the weather is mild and pleasant, with average temperatures ranging from 15 to 20 degrees Celsius. The days are long, with up to 20 hours of daylight, allowing visitors to make the most of their time exploring the stunning fjords and picturesque landscapes. Additionally, summer is the peak tourist season, so there are plenty of activities and events happening in and around Balestrand. However, it is important to note that accommodation and attractions may be more crowded during this time, so it is advisable to book in advance. If you prefer quieter surroundings and don't mind cooler temperatures, spring and fall can also be great times to visit Balestrand, as the scenery is still beautiful and there are fewer tourists. Winter is the off-peak season, with limited daylight and colder temperatures, but it can be a magical time to visit for those interested in winter sports or witnessing the Northern Lights.
Flight Calendar For Balestrand
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Balestrand.
Best Hotels To Stay In Balestrand
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Balestrand's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Balestrand
Balestrand is a picturesque village located on the shores of the Sognefjord, making it an ideal destination for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts. When it comes to accommodation options, there are several best areas to consider:
1. Balestrand Center: This area is the heart of the village and offers a range of accommodation options, including hotels, guesthouses, and bed and breakfasts. Staying in Balestrand Center allows easy access to local amenities, such as restaurants, shops, and the historic St. Olaf's Church.
2. Fjordside: For those seeking breathtaking fjord views, staying in the Fjordside area is a must. Here, you can find hotels and cabins situated right on the water's edge, providing a tranquil and scenic atmosphere. Wake up to the sight of majestic mountains and the soothing sound of lapping waves.
3. H?yanger: Located just a short drive from Balestrand, H?yanger offers a more secluded and peaceful setting. This area is surrounded by lush forests and offers a range of accommodation options, including cabins and holiday homes. It's an excellent choice for those looking to immerse themselves in nature and enjoy activities like hiking and fishing.
4. Saurdal: Situated a few kilometers inland from Balestrand, Saurdal is a charming valley known for its stunning landscapes and hiking trails. Accommodation options in Saurdal include traditional Norwegian cabins and guesthouses, allowing visitors to experience the authentic charm of the region.
No matter which area you choose for accommodation in Balestrand, you can expect a warm and welcoming atmosphere, breathtaking natural beauty, and a range of outdoor activities to enjoy.
Hotels Map Of Balestrand
Easily navigate your Balestrand journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Balestrand with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Balestrand
There are several transportation options to Balestrand.
1. By Air: The nearest airport to Balestrand is Sogndal Airport, Haukasen (SOG), which is located about 30 kilometers away. From the airport, you can take a taxi or a bus to Balestrand.
2. By Train: The closest train station to Balestrand is Flam, which is about 70 kilometers away. From Flam, you can take a bus or a ferry to Balestrand.
3. By Bus: There are regular bus services to Balestrand from various cities in Norway, including Bergen and Oslo. You can check the bus schedules and book tickets online.
4. By Ferry: Balestrand is located on the Sognefjord, and there are ferry services that connect it to other towns and cities along the fjord. You can take a ferry from Bergen or other nearby towns to reach Balestrand.
5. By Car: If you prefer to drive, you can rent a car and take the scenic route to Balestrand. The journey will take you through beautiful landscapes and mountain passes.
It is recommended to check the schedules and availability of transportation options before planning your trip to Balestrand.
Rent A Car In Balestrand
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Balestrand.
Nearby Destinantion From Balestrand
1. Sogndal: A picturesque town located on the shores of the Sognefjord, known for its stunning natural beauty.
2. Flam: A small village nestled in the fjords, famous for its scenic railway and breathtaking waterfalls.
3. Vik: A historic village surrounded by mountains and fjords, offering opportunities for hiking and exploring ancient stave churches.
4. Leikanger: A charming municipality with a rich cultural heritage, boasting beautiful landscapes and a vibrant local community.
5. H?yanger: A scenic town situated on the banks of the Sognefjord, renowned for its industrial history and outdoor recreational activities.
6. Aurland: A tranquil village known for its idyllic setting, offering hiking trails, kayaking, and panoramic views of the fjords.
7. Laerdal: A historic town with well-preserved wooden houses, offering a gateway to the stunning Jotunheimen National Park.
8. Voss: A popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts, offering a wide range of activities such as skiing, hiking, and whitewater rafting.
9. Ulvik: A charming village surrounded by fruit orchards and mountains, known for its picturesque setting and cultural events.
10. Eidfjord: A scenic municipality nestled in the Hardangerfjord, famous for its stunning waterfalls, hiking trails, and the V?ringsfossen waterfall.