Fun Things to Do in Batan | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Batan! Located in the province of Batanes, Batan is the second largest island in the archipelago and offers a unique and unforgettable travel experience. Known for its stunning landscapes, rich cultural heritage, and warm hospitality, Batan is a hidden gem waiting to be explored. From its rolling hills and rugged cliffs to its picturesque beaches and traditional stone houses, this island paradise is a haven for nature lovers and adventure seekers. Immerse yourself in the local Ivatan culture by visiting the charming villages, trying traditional delicacies, and participating in cultural festivals. Whether you're hiking up Mount Iraya, exploring the historic Basco Lighthouse, or simply relaxing on the pristine beaches, Batan promises to leave you with memories that will last a lifetime.
Batan Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Batan for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Batan in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Batan Trip
Planning a trip to Batan on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Batan
Batan Travel Guide
Quick overview of Batan with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Batan
Batan offers a variety of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Here are some must-see and must-do things in Batan:
1. Explore the Batanes landscapes: Batan Island is known for its stunning natural beauty. Take a scenic drive along the rolling hills and cliffs to admire the breathtaking views of the ocean and countryside. Don't miss the Marlboro Country and Racuh a Payaman (also known as Marlboro Hills and Rolling Hills), which offer panoramic vistas.
2. Visit the Basco Lighthouse: The Basco Lighthouse is an iconic landmark in Batan. Climb to the top for a spectacular view of the surrounding area, including the ocean and mountains. It's a great spot for photography enthusiasts.
3. Discover the Ivatan culture: Immerse yourself in the local culture by visiting the Honesty Coffee Shop in Ivana, where you can purchase goods and leave payment on an honor system. You can also explore the Chawa View Deck and Mahatao Boat Shelter Port, which showcase the traditional Ivatan stone houses and fishing boats.
4. Go on a boat tour: Take a boat tour to explore the nearby islands and beaches. One popular destination is Sabtang Island, known for its traditional villages and scenic coastlines. You can also visit Itbayat Island, which is famous for its caves and rock formations.
5. Try local cuisine: Indulge in the unique flavors of Batanes by trying local dishes such as uvud balls (pork meatballs), vakul (traditional headgear made from dried leaves), and tatus (coconut crab). Don't forget to sample the sweet delicacies like vakay (sweetened banana) and arayu (sticky rice cake).
6. Go on a hiking adventure: Batan Island offers several hiking trails that lead to spectacular viewpoints. One popular trail is the Mt. Iraya hike, which takes you to the island's highest peak.
Tours And Activities In Batan
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Batan at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Batan
The best time to visit Batan is during the dry season, which typically runs from November to April. During this time, the weather is warm and sunny, making it ideal for outdoor activities and exploring the island's natural beauty. The rainy season, which occurs from May to October, brings heavy rainfall and strong winds, making it less favorable for tourists. However, if you don't mind the occasional rain showers, visiting during the off-peak season can offer cheaper accommodation rates and fewer crowds.
Flight Calendar For Batan
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Batan.
Best Hotels To Stay In Batan
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Batan's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Batan
Batan offers several great areas for accommodation.
Basco is the capital of Batan and is a popular choice for tourists. It is known for its stunning landscapes, including rolling hills and breathtaking cliffs. Basco offers a range of accommodations, from budget-friendly guesthouses to luxurious resorts. Visitors can enjoy exploring the town's historic sites, such as the Basco Lighthouse and the Naidi Hills, which offer panoramic views of the surrounding area.
Mahatao is another excellent area for accommodation in Batan. This charming town is known for its well-preserved Spanish-era houses and beautiful beaches. Visitors can relax on the white sandy shores of Mahatao's beaches or explore the town's cultural attractions, such as the San Carlos Borromeo Church and the Mahatao Boat Shelter Port. Accommodation options in Mahatao range from cozy bed and breakfasts to beachfront resorts.
Ivana is a coastal town in Batan that offers a peaceful and laid-back atmosphere. It is famous for its traditional stone houses and the Honesty Coffee Shop, where visitors can grab a cup of coffee and leave payment in an honesty box. Ivana is also home to the House of Dakay, the oldest stone house in Batan. Accommodation in Ivana includes guesthouses and homestays, providing visitors with an authentic local experience.
Uyugan is a small town in Batan that is perfect for those seeking tranquility and natural beauty. It is surrounded by lush greenery and offers stunning views of the mountains. Uyugan is known for its rice terraces, which are a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Visitors can enjoy hiking through the terraces and exploring the town's traditional farming practices. Accommodation options in Uyugan are limited but include guesthouses and homestays.
Overall, Batan offers a variety of areas for accommodation, each with its own unique charm and attractions. Whether you prefer a bustling capital city or a peaceful coastal town, Batan has something to offer every traveler.
Hotels Map Of Batan
Easily navigate your Batan journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Batan with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Batan
There are several transportation options to Batan.
1. By Air: The nearest airport to Batan is Basco Airport (BSO), which is served by domestic flights from Manila. From the airport, you can take a tricycle or hire a van to reach Batan.
2. By Sea: There are ferry services available from Manila to Basco, the capital of Batanes. The ferry journey takes around 11-12 hours. Once you reach Basco, you can hire a tricycle or van to reach Batan.
3. By Land and Sea: Another option is to take a bus or drive from Manila to the port of Ivana in Batan. From Ivana, you can take a boat to Sabtang Island, which is part of Batanes. After exploring Sabtang Island, you can take a boat back to Ivana and then hire a tricycle or van to reach Batan.
It is recommended to check the schedules and availability of transportation options in advance, as they may vary depending on the season and weather conditions.
Rent A Car In Batan
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Batan.
Nearby Destinantion From Batan
1. Basco: The capital of Batanes province, known for its stunning landscapes and traditional stone houses.
2. Mahatao: A small coastal town with beautiful beaches and the iconic Mahatao lighthouse.
3. Ivana: Home to the famous Honesty Coffee Shop and the picturesque House of Dakay, one of the oldest stone houses in Batanes.
4. Uyugan: A peaceful village surrounded by rolling hills and known for its traditional Ivatan houses.
5. Itbayat: The northernmost municipality in the Philippines, offering breathtaking cliffs, caves, and the unique Ivatan culture.
6. Sabtang: A remote island known for its well-preserved traditional Ivatan villages and the picturesque Chamantad-Tinyan Viewpoint.
7. Imnajbu: A tranquil village with stunning coastal views and the famous Marlboro Hills, perfect for hiking and photography.
8. Itbud: A charming village with a beautiful white sand beach and the stunning Rakuh-a-Payaman, also known as Marlboro Country.
9. San Vicente: A coastal town with pristine beaches, crystal-clear waters, and the popular Diura Fishing Village.
10. Ivuhos: A scenic village with rolling hills, lush greenery, and the breathtaking Valugan Boulder Beach.