Fun Things to Do in Kimberley | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Kimberley! Located in the Northern Cape province, Kimberley is a city rich in history and natural beauty. Known as the "Diamond City," it was once the epicenter of the diamond rush in the late 19th century, attracting fortune seekers from all over the world. Today, visitors can explore the Big Hole, a massive open-pit diamond mine that offers a glimpse into the city's diamond mining past. Additionally, Kimberley is home to the Kimberley Mine Museum, where you can learn about the diamond industry and even try your luck at panning for diamonds. Beyond its diamond heritage, Kimberley boasts stunning landscapes, including the nearby Mokala National Park, which is home to a diverse range of wildlife, including rhinos, giraffes, and zebras. Whether you're a history buff, nature lover, or simply seeking a unique travel experience, Kimberley has something to offer everyone.
Kimberley Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Kimberley for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Kimberley in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Kimberley Trip
Planning a trip to Kimberley on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Kimberley
Kimberley Travel Guide
Quick overview of Kimberley with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Kimberley
There are several things to do in Kimberley that cater to a variety of interests.
One of the main attractions in Kimberley is the Big Hole, which is an enormous open-pit diamond mine. Visitors can take a guided tour to learn about the history of diamond mining in the area and even try their luck at diamond sifting. The Big Hole Museum is also worth a visit, as it provides further insight into the diamond industry and showcases a collection of diamonds and mining artifacts.
For those interested in history, Kimberley Mine Museum offers a glimpse into the city's past. This living museum allows visitors to experience what life was like during the diamond rush era. The museum features restored buildings, including original homes and shops, as well as exhibits on mining techniques and the lives of the miners.
Nature enthusiasts can explore the Mokala National Park, which is located just outside of Kimberley. This park is home to a diverse range of wildlife, including rare and endangered species such as black rhinos and roan antelopes. Visitors can go on game drives, guided walks, or even stay overnight in one of the park's campsites or lodges.
Another highlight in Kimberley is the William Humphreys Art Gallery, which houses an impressive collection of South African art. The gallery features works by renowned artists such as Irma Stern and Gerard Sekoto, as well as a variety of temporary exhibitions.
For a taste of local culture, visitors can explore the African Market Square, where they can find a wide range of traditional crafts, clothing, and food. This vibrant market is a great place to immerse oneself in the local atmosphere and interact with the friendly locals.
Lastly, Kimberley is known for its excellent golf courses. The Kimberley Golf Club and the Magersfontein Memorial Golf Estate offer beautiful settings and challenging courses for golf enthusiasts to enjoy.
In summary, Kimberley offers a range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. From exploring the historic diamond mines and museums to experiencing the natural beauty of the Mokala National Park, there is something for everyone in this vibrant city. Don't forget to visit the William Humphreys Art Gallery and immerse yourself in the local culture at the African Market Square.
Tours And Activities In Kimberley
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Kimberley at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Kimberley
The best time to visit Kimberley is during the spring and autumn months, which are from September to November and March to May respectively. During these seasons, the weather is mild and pleasant, with lower chances of rainfall compared to the summer months. The main attractions in Kimberley, such as the Big Hole and the Kimberley Mine Museum, are open year-round, but visiting during the best time ensures that you can comfortably explore these sites without extreme temperatures or heavy rain. Additionally, the spring and autumn months offer the opportunity to witness the beautiful blooming of flowers and enjoy outdoor activities like hiking and sightseeing.
Flight Calendar For Kimberley
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Kimberley.
Best Hotels To Stay In Kimberley
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Kimberley's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Kimberley
Kimberley offers several great areas for accommodation. One of the best areas is the city center, which is known for its vibrant atmosphere and convenient location. Here, you will find a variety of hotels, guesthouses, and apartments to choose from. The city center is also home to many restaurants, shops, and entertainment venues, making it a great choice for those who want to be in the heart of the action.
Another popular area for accommodation in Kimberley is the Belgravia neighborhood. This area is known for its beautiful Victorian-style houses and leafy streets, giving it a charming and picturesque feel. Belgravia is also close to many tourist attractions, such as the Big Hole and the Magersfontein Battlefield, making it a convenient choice for sightseeing.
If you prefer a more peaceful and scenic setting, the Royldene area is a great option. Located on the outskirts of Kimberley, Royldene offers tranquil surroundings and stunning views of the surrounding countryside. Here, you can find a range of guesthouses and bed and breakfasts that provide a comfortable and relaxing stay.
Lastly, the Rhodesdene area is another popular choice for accommodation in Kimberley. This area is known for its quiet residential streets and proximity to amenities. Rhodesdene is also close to the Kimberley Golf Club, making it an ideal choice for golf enthusiasts.
Overall, whether you prefer the bustling city center, the charming Belgravia neighborhood, the peaceful Royldene area, or the quiet Rhodesdene area, Kimberley offers a range of accommodation options to suit every preference.
Hotels Map Of Kimberley
Easily navigate your Kimberley journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Kimberley with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Kimberley
There are several transportation options to Kimberley.
1. By Air: The Kimberley Airport (KIM) is the main airport serving the city. There are regular domestic flights from major cities in South Africa, such as Johannesburg and Cape Town.
2. By Train: The Shosholoza Meyl train service operates from Johannesburg to Kimberley. The journey takes approximately 10-12 hours, depending on the train and schedule.
3. By Bus: Several bus companies, such as Greyhound and Intercape, offer bus services to Kimberley from various cities in South Africa. The duration of the journey depends on the departure location.
4. By Car: Kimberley is accessible by road, and there are major highways connecting the city to other parts of South Africa. The N12 and N8 highways are the main routes to Kimberley.
5. By Taxi: Taxis are available within Kimberley for local transportation, but they can also be hired for longer distances or airport transfers.
It is recommended to check the availability and schedules of transportation options before planning your trip to Kimberley.
Rent A Car In Kimberley
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Kimberley.
Nearby Destinantion From Kimberley
1. Bloemfontein - The judicial capital of South Africa, known for its historic buildings and museums.
2. Mafikeng - A city with a rich history and cultural heritage, home to the Mafikeng Game Reserve.
3. Vryburg - A vibrant town with a strong agricultural industry and the popular Leon Taljaard Nature Reserve.
4. Kuruman - Famous for the Eye of Kuruman, a natural spring that has been a water source for centuries.
5. Upington - Located on the banks of the Orange River, known for its vineyards and the Kalahari-Oranje Museum.
6. Warrenton - A small town with a peaceful atmosphere, offering opportunities for fishing and birdwatching.
7. Postmasburg - Surrounded by beautiful landscapes, this town is a gateway to the Kalahari Desert and the Witsand Nature Reserve.
8. Hartswater - A farming town known for its large-scale production of vegetables and the Hartswater Wine Cellar.
9. Jan Kempdorp - A quaint town with historical buildings and the nearby Taung Heritage Site, famous for its fossil discoveries.
10. Danielskuil - A mining town with natural hot springs and the Wonderwerk Cave, an archaeological site with ancient rock art.