Fun Things to Do in Port Elizabeth | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Port Elizabeth! Located on the southeastern coast of the country, this vibrant city is known for its stunning beaches, rich history, and diverse wildlife. With its warm climate and picturesque landscapes, Port Elizabeth offers a perfect destination for both relaxation and adventure. Whether you're interested in exploring the famous Addo Elephant National Park, discovering the city's fascinating colonial past, or simply soaking up the sun on its pristine shores, Port Elizabeth has something for everyone. So pack your bags and get ready to experience the beauty and charm of this captivating South African city.
Port Elizabeth Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Port Elizabeth for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Port Elizabeth in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Port Elizabeth Trip
Planning a trip to Port Elizabeth on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth Travel Guide
Quick overview of Port Elizabeth with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Whether you are interested in exploring nature, immersing yourself in history, or indulging in outdoor adventures, this vibrant city has something for everyone.
One of the main attractions in Port Elizabeth is the Addo Elephant National Park. This park is home to over 600 elephants, as well as other wildlife such as lions, buffalos, and rhinos. Visitors can go on safari drives to observe these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat.
For those who enjoy beach activities, Port Elizabeth boasts stunning coastlines and pristine beaches. Hobie Beach is a popular spot for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports such as surfing and kayaking. The Boardwalk Casino and Entertainment World is also located nearby, offering a variety of restaurants, shops, and entertainment options.
If you are interested in history and culture, a visit to the Donkin Reserve is a must. This historic site features a lighthouse, monument, and museum that provide insight into the city's past. The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Art Museum is another highlight, showcasing a diverse collection of artworks from both local and international artists.
For adrenaline junkies, Port Elizabeth offers thrilling adventure activities. Shark cage diving is a popular choice, allowing visitors to get up close and personal with these majestic creatures. Bungee jumping from the Bloukrans Bridge, one of the highest commercial bungee jumps in the world, is also a thrilling experience.
Additionally, Port Elizabeth is known for its excellent golf courses. The Humewood Golf Club is a championship course that attracts golf enthusiasts from around the world. Playing a round of golf while enjoying the beautiful coastal views is a must-do for any golfer visiting the city.
In conclusion, Port Elizabeth offers a diverse range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. From wildlife safaris and beach activities to historic sites and adventure sports, there is something for everyone in this vibrant city.
Tours And Activities In Port Elizabeth
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Port Elizabeth at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Port Elizabeth
The best time to visit Port Elizabeth is during the summer months of December to February. This is when the city experiences warm temperatures and minimal rainfall, making it ideal for outdoor activities and beach visits. However, it is important to note that this is also the peak tourist season, so expect larger crowds and higher prices. If you prefer a quieter and more affordable trip, consider visiting during the shoulder seasons of spring (September to November) or autumn (March to May). During these times, the weather is still pleasant, and you can enjoy milder temperatures and fewer tourists. Winter (June to August) is the off-peak season in Port Elizabeth, with cooler temperatures and higher chances of rainfall. However, if you don't mind the cooler weather, this can be a great time to visit for lower prices and less crowded attractions.
Flight Calendar For Port Elizabeth
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Port Elizabeth.
Best Hotels To Stay In Port Elizabeth
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Port Elizabeth's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth offers a variety of excellent areas for accommodation. Here are a few top choices:
1. Summerstrand: Located along the stunning coastline, Summerstrand is a popular area for tourists and locals alike. It boasts beautiful beaches, a vibrant atmosphere, and a range of accommodation options, including luxury hotels and guesthouses. With its proximity to the beach and various entertainment venues, Summerstrand is an ideal choice for those seeking a beachside getaway.
2. Walmer: Situated close to the airport, Walmer is a convenient and sought-after area for accommodation. It offers a mix of hotels, bed and breakfasts, and self-catering options. Walmer is known for its leafy streets, trendy restaurants, and boutique shops. It is also within easy reach of popular attractions such as the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Art Museum and the Boardwalk Casino and Entertainment World.
3. Central: As the heart of Port Elizabeth, Central is a bustling area with a range of accommodation choices. It is home to numerous hotels, guesthouses, and backpacker lodges, making it suitable for all budgets. Central is known for its vibrant nightlife, diverse dining options, and proximity to attractions like the Donkin Reserve and the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium.
4. Humewood: Another fantastic area for accommodation in Port Elizabeth is Humewood. This coastal suburb offers stunning views of the Indian Ocean and is known for its beautiful beaches, including the popular Kings Beach. Humewood is home to a variety of hotels and self-catering apartments, making it a great choice for families and beach lovers.
5. Mill Park: For those seeking a more tranquil and residential area, Mill Park is an excellent option. This leafy suburb offers a range of guesthouses and bed and breakfasts, providing a peaceful retreat away from the city center. Mill Park is known for its beautiful gardens, tree-lined streets, and proximity to attractions like St George's Park and the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium.
Overall, Port Elizabeth offers a diverse range of accommodation options in various areas, catering to different preferences and budgets. Whether you prefer a beachside escape, a central location, or a peaceful retreat, you are sure to find the perfect place to stay in this vibrant South African city.
Hotels Map Of Port Elizabeth
Easily navigate your Port Elizabeth journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Port Elizabeth with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Port Elizabeth
There are several transportation options to Port Elizabeth.
1. By Air: The Port Elizabeth International Airport is well-connected to major cities in South Africa and other international destinations. Several airlines operate regular flights to and from the airport.
2. By Train: The Shosholoza Meyl train service offers a long-distance train route to Port Elizabeth from various cities in South Africa, including Johannesburg and Cape Town. The journey provides scenic views of the countryside.
3. By Bus: Several bus companies, such as Greyhound and Intercape, operate regular bus services to Port Elizabeth from various cities in South Africa. The bus journey is usually comfortable and affordable.
4. By Car: Port Elizabeth is easily accessible by road, with well-maintained highways connecting it to other major cities in South Africa. Renting a car or using a private vehicle is a convenient option for traveling to Port Elizabeth.
5. By Sea: Port Elizabeth is a popular port for cruise ships, and some travelers may choose to arrive by sea. However, this option is less common and may require specific arrangements with cruise companies.
It is recommended to check the availability, schedules, and prices of transportation options before planning your trip to Port Elizabeth.
Rent A Car In Port Elizabeth
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Port Elizabeth.
Nearby Destinantion From Port Elizabeth
1. Jeffreys Bay: A popular surfing destination known for its world-class waves.
2. Uitenhage: A historic town with beautiful Victorian architecture and a rich automotive manufacturing heritage.
3. Grahamstown: Home to the prestigious Rhodes University and renowned for its annual National Arts Festival.
4. Despatch: A small town known for its friendly community and picturesque landscapes.
5. St. Francis Bay: A tranquil coastal village with pristine beaches and a charming canal system.
6. Humansdorp: A bustling market town offering a variety of shops, restaurants, and cultural attractions.
7. Colchester: Located on the banks of the Sundays River, this town is a gateway to the Addo Elephant National Park.
8. Kirkwood: Famous for its annual Kirkwood Wildsfees, a festival celebrating wildlife, agriculture, and entertainment.
9. Patensie: Surrounded by citrus orchards, this town is a gateway to the Baviaanskloof Nature Reserve.
10. Hankey: Known as the "Gamtoos Valley's citrus capital," this town offers scenic beauty and agricultural heritage.