Fun Things to Do in St Lucia | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to St Lucia, a hidden gem located on the eastern coast of South Africa. This picturesque town is nestled between the warm Indian Ocean and the iSimangaliso Wetland Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. St Lucia is renowned for its stunning beaches, diverse wildlife, and breathtaking landscapes, making it a must-visit destination for nature lovers and adventure seekers alike. Whether you're exploring the pristine beaches, embarking on a thrilling safari, or discovering the rich cultural heritage of the Zulu people offers a unique and unforgettable travel experience. So pack your bags and get ready to immerse yourself in the beauty and wonder of St Lucia.
St Lucia Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about St Lucia for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in St Lucia in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book St Lucia Trip
Planning a trip to St Lucia on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In St Lucia
St Lucia Travel Guide
Quick overview of St Lucia with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In St Lucia
St Lucia offers a plethora of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. One of the main things to do in St Lucia is to explore the iSimangaliso Wetland Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This park is home to a diverse range of wildlife, including hippos, crocodiles, and various bird species. Visitors can embark on safari tours or take a boat cruise along the St Lucia Estuary to witness these incredible creatures in their natural habitat.
Another highlight of St Lucia is the Cape Vidal Beach, which boasts pristine white sands and crystal-clear waters. Swimming, snorkeling, and sunbathing are popular activities here, and visitors can also enjoy picnicking or camping in the nearby Cape Vidal Campsite.
For those interested in birdwatching is a paradise. The St Lucia Estuary is a renowned birding destination, with over 500 bird species recorded in the area. Visitors can join guided birding tours or simply explore the numerous walking trails to spot a variety of feathered friends.
If you're a nature lover, a visit to the St Lucia Crocodile Centre is a must. Here, you can learn about the conservation efforts being made to protect these fascinating reptiles. The centre offers educational tours and crocodile feeding demonstrations, providing a unique and informative experience.
For those seeking a bit of adventure offers kayaking and canoeing opportunities along the St Lucia Estuary. Paddling through the calm waters, visitors can get up close to the resident hippos and crocodiles, creating an exhilarating and unforgettable experience.
Lastly, don't miss the chance to explore the local culture and history of St Lucia. The St Lucia Market is a great place to immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere and purchase local crafts and souvenirs. Additionally, the St Lucia Museum provides insight into the area's rich heritage, including its ties to the Zulu Kingdom.
In conclusion offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy.
Tours And Activities In St Lucia
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around St Lucia at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit St Lucia
The best time to visit St Lucia is during the dry season, which runs from May to September. During this time, the weather is mild and pleasant, with lower chances of rainfall. This makes it ideal for wildlife viewing and exploring the outdoors. The wet season, from October to April, can be hot and humid, with frequent rain showers. However, this is also the time when the landscape is lush and green, and many migratory birds can be spotted. Whale watching is also popular during the winter months of June to November. Overall, the best time to visit St Lucia depends on your preferences, but the dry season offers the most comfortable weather for outdoor activities.
Flight Calendar For St Lucia
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to St Lucia.
Best Hotels To Stay In St Lucia
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near St Lucia's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In St Lucia
St Lucia offers a variety of excellent areas for accommodation. Here are a few of the best areas to consider:
1. St Lucia Estuary: This area is perfect for nature lovers and those seeking a tranquil setting. It is located near the iSimangaliso Wetland Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and offers stunning views of the estuary. Accommodation options here range from luxury lodges to self-catering cottages.
2. St Lucia Village: This is the main hub of the town and offers a range of accommodation options, including hotels, guesthouses, and backpacker lodges. St Lucia Village is known for its vibrant atmosphere, with a variety of restaurants, shops, and entertainment venues within walking distance.
3. Cape Vidal: Situated within the iSimangaliso Wetland Park, Cape Vidal is a popular destination for beach lovers. The area boasts pristine beaches, crystal-clear waters, and excellent snorkeling and diving opportunities. Accommodation options here include beachfront chalets and campsites.
4. Monzi: Located just outside of St Lucia, Monzi is a peaceful and rural area that offers a more secluded accommodation experience. It is surrounded by lush vegetation and offers a range of guesthouses and self-catering cottages. Monzi is also known for its birdlife, making it a great choice for birdwatchers.
5. Maphelane: For those seeking a more adventurous accommodation option, Maphelane is an excellent choice. It is located at the southernmost tip of the iSimangaliso Wetland Park and offers camping facilities right on the beach. Visitors can enjoy activities such as hiking, fishing, and exploring the sand dunes.
Overall offers a diverse range of accommodation options in various areas, catering to different preferences and interests. Whether you prefer a tranquil estuary setting, a vibrant village atmosphere, a beachfront experience, a secluded rural retreat, or an adventurous camping trip has something for everyone.
Hotels Map Of St Lucia
Easily navigate your St Lucia journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of St Lucia with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To St Lucia
There are several transportation options to get to St Lucia.
1. By Air: The nearest major airport is King Shaka International Airport in Durban, which is approximately a 2.5-hour drive from St Lucia. From the airport, you can rent a car or take a taxi to reach St Lucia.
2. By Car: St Lucia is easily accessible by road. If you are driving from Durban, you can take the N2 highway northbound and then follow the signs to St Lucia. The drive takes approximately 2.5 to 3 hours, depending on traffic conditions.
3. By Bus: There are bus services available from Durban to St Lucia. Companies like Greyhound and Intercape offer regular bus services to St Lucia. The journey takes around 3 to 4 hours, depending on the route and traffic.
4. By Shuttle: There are shuttle services available from Durban to St Lucia. These shuttle services provide convenient and comfortable transportation to St Lucia. You can book a shuttle service in advance or find one at the airport or bus station.
5. By Train: Unfortunately, there is no direct train service to St Lucia. The nearest train station is in Empangeni, which is approximately a 1-hour drive from St Lucia. From Empangeni, you can take a taxi or arrange for a transfer to reach St Lucia.
Once you arrive in St Lucia, there are local transportation options available, such as taxis and rental cars, to explore the area and get around.
Rent A Car In St Lucia
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in St Lucia.
Nearby Destinantion From St Lucia
1. Cape Vidal - A coastal nature reserve known for its pristine beaches and diverse wildlife.
2. Hluhluwe - Home to the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park, one of the oldest game reserves in Africa.
3. Mtubatuba - A small town situated on the banks of the Mfolozi River, offering access to the iSimangaliso Wetland Park.
4. Richards Bay - A major industrial port city with beautiful beaches and a vibrant waterfront.
5. Empangeni - Known for its sugar cane fields and proximity to the Tugela River, offering outdoor activities and cultural experiences.
6. Eshowe - A historic town with a rich Zulu heritage, featuring the Fort Nongqayi Museum Village and the Dlinza Forest Aerial Boardwalk.
7. Mkuze - A quaint village near the Mkuze Game Reserve, renowned for its birdlife and diverse ecosystems.
8. Pongola - A farming town located on the banks of the Pongola River, offering opportunities for fishing and game viewing.
9. Melmoth - Surrounded by rolling hills and forests, this town is known for its natural beauty and historical sites.
10. Ulundi - The former capital of the Zulu Kingdom, now home to the Ulundi Cultural and Heritage Route, showcasing Zulu traditions and history.