Fun Things to Do in Bentota | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Bentota Travel Guide
Quick overview of Bentota with essential tips and insights. Jump to any section.
Welcome to Bentota, a picturesque coastal town located in the southwestern region of Sri Lanka. Known for its pristine beaches, lush greenery, and rich cultural heritage, Bentota offers a perfect blend of relaxation and adventure for travelers of all kinds. Whether you're seeking a tranquil beach getaway, thrilling water sports activities, or a chance to explore ancient temples and wildlife sanctuaries, Bentota has it all. With its warm tropical climate, friendly locals, and a wide range of accommodation options, this charming town is a must-visit destination for those looking to immerse themselves in the beauty and serenity of Sri Lanka.
Bentota Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Bentota for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Bentota in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Things To Do In Bentota
Bentota offers a plethora of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Here are some must-see and must-do things in Bentota:
1. Water Sports: Bentota is renowned for its water sports activities. Engage in thrilling jet skiing, banana boat rides, parasailing, and windsurfing. The calm waters of the Bentota River also provide an ideal setting for kayaking and canoeing.
2. Beach Relaxation: Spend a day relaxing on the pristine beaches of Bentota. The golden sands and crystal-clear waters create a tranquil atmosphere, perfect for sunbathing and swimming. Don't forget to indulge in a rejuvenating Ayurvedic massage offered by the beachside spas.
3. Turtle Hatchery: Visit the turtle hatchery in Bentota to witness the conservation efforts for these magnificent creatures. Learn about the different turtle species, observe the hatching process, and even release baby turtles into the sea.
4. Madu River Safari: Embark on a boat safari along the Madu River, a scenic waterway surrounded by lush mangroves. Explore the estuary, visit islands, and observe the diverse flora and fauna. Don't miss the chance to visit the Cinnamon Island and witness the traditional cinnamon production.
5. Brief Garden: Discover the enchanting Brief Garden, a beautifully landscaped garden created by renowned Sri Lankan artist Bevis Bawa. Explore the artistic sculptures, manicured lawns, and exotic plants. The garden also offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
6. Kande Viharaya: Pay a visit to the Kande Viharaya, a Buddhist temple located on a hilltop. Admire the impressive Buddha statue, intricate wall paintings, and serene meditation spaces. The temple offers a peaceful atmosphere for spiritual contemplation.
7. Lunuganga Estate: Explore the Lunuganga Estate, the former residence of renowned Sri Lankan architect Geoffrey Bawa. This beautifully landscaped garden showcases Bawa's architectural vision and offers breathtaking views of the Bentota River.
Tours And Activities In Bentota
Check out these Top-Rated Tours and Activities in Bentota. Read real reviews and highlights.
Best Time To Visit Bentota
The best time to visit Bentota is between November and April. During this period, the weather is warm and dry, making it ideal for beach activities and water sports. The monsoon season in Bentota occurs from May to October, bringing heavy rainfall and rough sea conditions, which may limit outdoor activities. However, if you are interested in surfing, the monsoon season can provide excellent waves. It is important to note that tourist crowds are generally higher during the peak season from December to March, so if you prefer a quieter experience, it is advisable to visit during the shoulder months of November or April.
Flight Calendar For Bentota
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Bentota.
Best Areas To Stay In Bentota
Bentota, located in Sri Lanka, offers a variety of excellent areas for accommodation. Here are a few notable ones:
1. Bentota Beach: This area is perfect for beach lovers as it offers stunning views of the Indian Ocean. The beachfront resorts here provide luxurious accommodations with direct access to the sandy shores. Visitors can enjoy water sports activities, sunbathe, or simply relax while taking in the breathtaking coastal scenery.
2. Aluthgama: Situated close to Bentota, Aluthgama is a charming town known for its tranquil atmosphere. It offers a range of accommodation options, including boutique hotels and guesthouses. Aluthgama is also famous for its traditional markets, where visitors can explore local handicrafts, spices, and fresh produce.
3. Induruwa: For those seeking a quieter and more secluded experience, Induruwa is an ideal choice. This area is known for its pristine beaches and lush greenery. Accommodations in Induruwa often feature private villas and bungalows, providing a peaceful retreat amidst nature. Visitors can enjoy long walks along the beach or indulge in Ayurvedic spa treatments.
4. Kosgoda: Nature enthusiasts will appreciate Kosgoda, which is renowned for its turtle conservation projects. This area offers a unique opportunity to witness the nesting and hatching of sea turtles. Accommodations in Kosgoda range from eco-friendly resorts to cozy guesthouses, allowing visitors to immerse themselves in the natural beauty of the surroundings.
5. Beruwala: Located a short distance from Bentota, Beruwala is a vibrant coastal town with a rich cultural heritage. It offers a mix of modern resorts and budget-friendly accommodations. Beruwala is famous for its historic mosques, colorful temples, and the iconic Beruwala Lighthouse. Visitors can also explore the lively fish market and indulge in delicious seafood.
In conclusion, Bentota and its surrounding areas provide a diverse range of accommodation options to suit different preferences. Whether you prefer beachfront luxury, tranquility, nature, or cultural experiences, there is an area in Bentota that will cater to your needs.
Hotels Map Of Bentota
All-in-one Map to find Best Hotels, Vacation Rentals, Tours, Activities and Restaurants in Bentota.
Transportation To Bentota
There are several transportation options to Bentota.
1. By Air: The nearest international airport to Bentota is Bandaranaike International Airport (CMB) in Colombo. From the airport, you can take a taxi or arrange for a private transfer to Bentota, which is approximately a 2-hour drive.
2. By Train: Bentota has its own railway station, and you can take a train from Colombo or other major cities in Sri Lanka to reach Bentota. The train journey offers scenic views of the countryside and is a popular mode of transportation for tourists.
3. By Bus: There are regular bus services from Colombo and other major cities to Bentota. Buses are a more affordable option compared to taxis or trains, but they can be crowded and may take longer due to frequent stops.
4. By Taxi: Taxis are readily available in Sri Lanka, and you can hire one from Colombo or the airport to reach Bentota. It is advisable to negotiate the fare before starting the journey or use a reputable taxi service.
5. By Tuk-tuk: Tuk-tuks, or three-wheeler taxis, are a common mode of transportation in Sri Lanka. You can hire a tuk-tuk for shorter distances or for exploring the local area in Bentota.
Once you reach Bentota, you can also use local transportation options like tuk-tuks or taxis to get around the town and explore nearby attractions.
Nearby Destination From Bentota
1. Aluthgama: A coastal town known for its beautiful beaches and vibrant local markets.
2. Beruwala: A popular tourist destination with stunning beaches, a historic lighthouse, and a bustling fish market.
3. Ambalangoda: A traditional Sri Lankan town famous for its intricate mask-making industry and vibrant cultural heritage.
4. Hikkaduwa: A lively beach town renowned for its vibrant nightlife, coral reefs, and excellent surfing spots.
5. Galle: A historic city with a UNESCO World Heritage-listed fort, charming colonial architecture, and a bustling old town.
6. Kalutara: A coastal town known for its picturesque beaches, ancient temples, and the iconic Kalutara Bodhiya.
7. Matara: A bustling city with a rich history, beautiful beaches, and the famous Matara Fort.
8. Mirissa: A laid-back coastal village famous for its stunning beaches, whale watching opportunities, and vibrant beach bars.
9. Tangalle: A tranquil coastal town boasting pristine beaches, scenic lagoons, and a peaceful atmosphere.
10. Colombo: The capital city of Sri Lanka, offering a mix of modernity and tradition with its bustling markets, colonial architecture, and vibrant street food scene.