Fun Things to Do in Nuwara Eliya | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Nuwara Eliya, a picturesque town nestled in the heart of Sri Lanka's hill country. Known as "Little England," this charming destination offers a unique blend of colonial architecture, lush tea plantations, and breathtaking landscapes. As you explore Nuwara Eliya, you'll be captivated by its cool climate, which is a refreshing escape from the tropical heat of the rest of the country. Don't miss the opportunity to visit the famous Pedro Tea Estate, where you can learn about the tea-making process and indulge in a cup of freshly brewed Ceylon tea. Additionally, the town is surrounded by stunning natural wonders, including the cascading waterfalls of Lovers Leap and the serene beauty of Lake Gregory. Whether you're a nature enthusiast, a history buff, or simply seeking a tranquil getaway, Nuwara Eliya is the perfect destination to immerse yourself in Sri Lanka's rich culture and natural beauty.
Nuwara Eliya Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Nuwara Eliya for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Nuwara Eliya in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Nuwara Eliya Trip
Planning a trip to Nuwara Eliya on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Nuwara Eliya
Nuwara Eliya Travel Guide
Quick overview of Nuwara Eliya with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Nuwara Eliya
Nuwara Eliya, located in Sri Lanka, offers a plethora of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Nuwara Eliya is known as "Little England" due to its colonial-era architecture and cool climate, making it a popular destination for both locals and tourists alike.
One of the main attractions in Nuwara Eliya is Horton Plains National Park. This stunning national park is home to diverse flora and fauna, including the famous World's End viewpoint. Visitors can embark on a hiking adventure through the park's trails, enjoying breathtaking views of the surrounding landscapes.
Another highlight of Nuwara Eliya is Lake Gregory. This picturesque lake offers various recreational activities such as boating and jet skiing. Visitors can also enjoy a leisurely stroll along the lake's promenade, surrounded by beautiful scenery.
For those interested in tea, a visit to tea plantations is a must-do in Nuwara Eliya. The region is renowned for its tea production, and visitors can take guided tours of the plantations to learn about the tea-making process. Tea tasting sessions are also available, allowing visitors to savor the flavors of freshly brewed tea.
Golf enthusiasts will be delighted to know that Nuwara Eliya is home to one of the oldest golf courses in Asia, the Nuwara Eliya Golf Club. This 18-hole golf course offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and is a perfect spot for a relaxing game of golf.
Additionally, Victoria Park is a beautiful public park in Nuwara Eliya that offers a tranquil escape from the bustling city. Visitors can enjoy a peaceful walk amidst well-manicured gardens, colorful flower beds, and towering trees. The park also features a mini zoo where visitors can observe various animals and birds.
Lastly, Adams Peak is a sacred mountain located near Nuwara Eliya. It is a popular pilgrimage site for people of various religions. Climbing Adams Peak during the pilgrimage season is a unique and spiritual experience, offering panoramic views of the surrounding landscapes from the summit.
In conclusion, Nuwara Eliya, offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. From exploring national parks and tea plantations to indulging in recreational activities and experiencing cultural and spiritual sites, there is something for everyone in this charming destination.
Tours And Activities In Nuwara Eliya
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Nuwara Eliya at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Nuwara Eliya
The best time to visit Nuwara Eliya is from April to June and from August to September. During these months, the weather is pleasant and mild, with temperatures ranging from 15 to 20 degrees Celsius. This makes it an ideal time to explore the beautiful tea plantations and enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking and sightseeing. Additionally, the famous Nuwara Eliya Golf Club hosts its annual tournament in April, attracting golf enthusiasts from around the world. However, it is important to note that Nuwara Eliya experiences a monsoon season from October to January, which brings heavy rainfall and can disrupt travel plans. Therefore, it is advisable to avoid visiting during this period.
Flight Calendar For Nuwara Eliya
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Nuwara Eliya.
Best Hotels To Stay In Nuwara Eliya
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Nuwara Eliya's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Nuwara Eliya
Nuwara Eliya, located in the central highlands of Sri Lanka, is a picturesque town known for its cool climate and stunning natural beauty. When it comes to accommodation, there are several best areas that offer a range of options to suit different preferences and budgets.
1. Gregory Lake: Situated in the heart of Nuwara Eliya, Gregory Lake is a popular area for accommodation. With its serene surroundings and proximity to the lake, visitors can enjoy breathtaking views and engage in various water activities. The area offers a mix of luxury hotels, cozy guesthouses, and charming cottages, making it an ideal choice for those seeking a peaceful and scenic stay.
2. Nuwara Eliya Town: The town center itself is another great area for accommodation. Here, you will find a wide range of hotels, guesthouses, and homestays, catering to different budgets. Staying in the town allows easy access to various attractions, such as the Victoria Park, tea plantations, and the bustling local market. Additionally, the town offers a vibrant atmosphere with numerous restaurants, cafes, and shops to explore.
3. Hakgala: For nature enthusiasts and adventure seekers, Hakgala is an excellent area to consider. Known for its stunning Hakgala Botanical Gardens and the famous Hakgala Peak, this area offers a tranquil escape amidst lush greenery. Accommodation options in Hakgala include eco-lodges and boutique hotels, providing a unique and immersive experience in nature.
4. Ambewela: If you wish to experience the beauty of Nuwara Eliya's countryside, Ambewela is the perfect area for accommodation. Surrounded by rolling hills, picturesque farms, and dairy factories, this area offers a peaceful retreat away from the bustling town. Visitors can choose from cozy cottages and guesthouses, allowing them to immerse themselves in the rural charm and enjoy activities like hiking and exploring the nearby Horton Plains National Park.
In conclusion, Nuwara Eliya offers a variety of best areas for accommodation, each with its own unique charm and attractions. Whether you prefer lakeside views, town convenience, nature immersion, or countryside tranquility, there is an area in Nuwara Eliya that will cater to your preferences and provide a memorable stay.
Hotels Map Of Nuwara Eliya
Easily navigate your Nuwara Eliya journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Nuwara Eliya with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Nuwara Eliya
There are several transportation options to Nuwara Eliya.
1. By Air: The nearest international airport to Nuwara Eliya is Bandaranaike International Airport in Colombo. From there, you can take a domestic flight to the nearby Diyathalawa Airport or Hatton Airport. From either of these airports, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to Nuwara Eliya.
2. By Train: Nuwara Eliya has its own train station, which is connected to major cities like Colombo and Kandy. You can take a train from Colombo or Kandy to Nuwara Eliya. The train journey is scenic and offers beautiful views of the Sri Lankan countryside.
3. By Bus: There are regular bus services from major cities like Colombo, Kandy, and Ella to Nuwara Eliya. The bus journey may take longer than other modes of transportation, but it is a more affordable option.
4. By Taxi: You can hire a taxi or a private car from any major city in Sri Lanka to Nuwara Eliya. This option offers convenience and flexibility, but it can be more expensive than other modes of transportation.
Once you reach Nuwara Eliya, you can also use local transportation options like tuk-tuks or hire a bicycle to explore the town and its surroundings.
Rent A Car In Nuwara Eliya
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Nuwara Eliya.
Nearby Destinantion From Nuwara Eliya
1. Kandy: Known as the cultural capital of Sri Lanka, Kandy is home to the sacred Temple of the Tooth Relic.
2. Ella: A picturesque hill town famous for its stunning views, tea plantations, and hiking trails.
3. Haputale: Nestled amidst misty mountains, Haputale offers breathtaking vistas and is a gateway to the Horton Plains National Park.
4. Badulla: A historic town with colonial charm, Badulla is surrounded by lush greenery and is a starting point for exploring the Dunhinda Falls.
5. Nanu Oya: A small railway town known for its scenic train rides, especially the journey to Ella.
6. Hatton: Situated in the heart of Sri Lanka's tea country, Hatton is a bustling town surrounded by tea estates and offers panoramic views of the mountains.
7. Bandarawela: A charming hill town with a cool climate, Bandarawela is known for its colonial architecture and is a base for exploring the surrounding tea estates.
8. Horton Plains: A national park renowned for its biodiversity, including the famous World's End viewpoint and the stunning Baker's Falls.
9. Nuwara Eliya Golf Club: A historic golf club located in Nuwara Eliya, offering a picturesque setting and a challenging course for golf enthusiasts.
10. Hakgala Botanical Garden: A beautiful garden located near Nuwara Eliya, known for its diverse collection of flora, including rare orchids and roses.