Fun Things to Do in Paramaribo | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Paramaribo, the vibrant capital city of Suriname! Located on the northern coast of South America, Paramaribo is a hidden gem waiting to be explored. With its rich history, diverse culture, and stunning natural beauty, this city offers a unique travel experience like no other. As you wander through the streets, you'll be captivated by the charming Dutch colonial architecture, which has earned Paramaribo a well-deserved spot on the UNESCO World Heritage List. Immerse yourself in the local culture by visiting the bustling Central Market, where you can sample exotic fruits, spices, and traditional Surinamese dishes. Don't miss the opportunity to explore the breathtaking natural wonders that surround the city, such as the pristine rainforests and the awe-inspiring Brownsberg Nature Park. Whether you're a history enthusiast, a nature lover, or simply seeking a new adventure, Paramaribo has something for everyone. Get ready to embark on an unforgettable journey in this enchanting city!
Paramaribo Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Paramaribo for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Paramaribo in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Paramaribo Trip
Planning a trip to Paramaribo on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Paramaribo
Paramaribo Travel Guide
Quick overview of Paramaribo with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Paramaribo
Paramaribo, the capital city of Suriname, offers a variety of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Here are some things to do in Paramaribo:
1. Explore the Historic Inner City: Paramaribo's historic inner city is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is known for its well-preserved Dutch colonial architecture. Stroll along the Waterkant, a picturesque street along the Suriname River, and admire the beautiful buildings such as the Presidential Palace and the Fort Zeelandia.
2. Visit the Central Market: The Central Market is a bustling hub of activity where locals gather to buy and sell fresh produce, spices, handicrafts, and more. Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere, sample local delicacies, and shop for unique souvenirs.
3. Discover the Suriname River: Take a boat tour along the Suriname River and explore the lush mangroves, picturesque villages, and wildlife-rich areas. Enjoy activities like fishing, bird watching, and swimming in the river's clear waters.
4. Experience the Maroon Culture: Suriname is home to several Maroon communities, descendants of African slaves who escaped from plantations. Learn about their rich culture and traditions by visiting villages like Danpaati or Palumeu, where you can participate in traditional ceremonies, taste local cuisine, and listen to captivating stories.
5. Relax at the Palm Garden: The Palm Garden is a tranquil oasis in the heart of Paramaribo. Take a leisurely walk through the lush greenery, enjoy a picnic, or simply relax on one of the benches while admiring the beautiful palm trees and colorful flowers.
6. Explore the Commewijne District: Just a short boat ride away from Paramaribo, the Commewijne District offers a glimpse into Suriname's rural life. Visit plantations like Peperpot or Frederiksdorp, take a bike tour through the countryside, and indulge in delicious Surinamese cuisine at one of the riverside restaurants.
Tours And Activities In Paramaribo
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Paramaribo at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Paramaribo
The best time to visit Paramaribo is during the dry season, which runs from February to August. During this time, the weather is warm and sunny, with minimal rainfall. The wet season, which occurs from September to January, is characterized by heavy rainfall and high humidity. While the landscape is lush and green during this time, it can make outdoor activities more challenging. Additionally, it is important to note that Suriname experiences a tropical climate, so temperatures remain fairly consistent throughout the year, ranging from 25 to 35 degrees Celsius.
Flight Calendar For Paramaribo
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Paramaribo.
Best Hotels To Stay In Paramaribo
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Paramaribo's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Paramaribo
Paramaribo, the capital city of Suriname, offers a variety of areas for accommodation. Here are some of the best areas to consider:
1. Centrum: Located in the heart of Paramaribo, Centrum is the city's bustling downtown area. It is home to numerous hotels, guesthouses, and apartments, making it a convenient choice for tourists and business travelers. Centrum is known for its vibrant nightlife, shopping opportunities, and proximity to historical landmarks such as the Presidential Palace and the Waterkant.
2. Zorg en Hoop: Situated in the western part of Paramaribo, Zorg en Hoop is a residential area that offers a peaceful and tranquil environment. It is known for its leafy streets, spacious houses, and well-maintained apartments. Zorg en Hoop is a great choice for those seeking a quieter stay while still being within easy reach of the city center.
3. Rainville: Located in the northern part of Paramaribo, Rainville is a popular area for both locals and expatriates. It offers a mix of residential properties, hotels, and serviced apartments. Rainville is known for its beautiful colonial-style houses, lush greenery, and proximity to the Suriname River. It is also home to several embassies and international organizations.
4. Tourtonne: Situated in the southeastern part of Paramaribo, Tourtonne is a residential area that offers a range of accommodation options. It is known for its quiet streets, spacious villas, and modern apartments. Tourtonne is a great choice for those looking for a suburban feel while still being within a short drive from the city center.
5. Flora: Located in the southwestern part of Paramaribo, Flora is a residential area that offers a mix of housing options. It is known for its well-maintained houses, gated communities, and apartment complexes. Flora is a popular choice for families and individuals looking for a safe and family-friendly neighborhood.
Overall, Paramaribo offers a diverse range of areas for accommodation, each with its own unique characteristics. Whether you prefer the bustling city center, a peaceful residential area, or a suburban neighborhood, you are sure to find a suitable place to stay in Paramaribo.
Hotels Map Of Paramaribo
Easily navigate your Paramaribo journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Paramaribo with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Paramaribo
There are several transportation options to get to Paramaribo:
1. By Air: You can fly to Johan Adolf Pengel International Airport (PBM), which is the main international airport serving Paramaribo. There are direct flights from various cities in South America, the Caribbean, and Europe.
2. By Land: If you are in a neighboring country, you can travel to Paramaribo by land. There are bus services and shared taxis available from countries like Guyana, and French Guiana.
3. By River: If you are in a nearby riverine area, you can also reach Paramaribo by boat. There are river transport services available from places like French Guiana and various river towns in Suriname.
4. By Cruise: Some cruise ships also include Paramaribo as a port of call. You can check with cruise operators for availability and schedules.
It is recommended to check the latest travel advisories and make necessary arrangements before planning your trip to Paramaribo.
Rent A Car In Paramaribo
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Paramaribo.
Nearby Destinantion From Paramaribo
1. Lelydorp: A bustling town located just 15 kilometers south of Paramaribo, known for its vibrant market and cultural events.
2. Wanica: A suburban district adjacent to Paramaribo, offering a mix of residential areas, nature reserves, and historical sites.
3. Commewijne: A picturesque district east of Paramaribo, famous for its colonial plantations, river tours, and delicious local cuisine.
4. Nieuw Nickerie: A coastal town in western Suriname, serving as a gateway to the stunning Bigi Pan nature reserve and neighboring Guyana.
5. Moengo: A former bauxite mining town in the eastern part of Suriname, now known for its thriving art scene and vibrant cultural festivals.
6. Albina: A border town located on the Marowijne River, offering access to French Guiana and serving as a starting point for jungle adventures.
7. Brokopondo: A town situated near the Brokopondo Reservoir, known for its scenic beauty, fishing opportunities, and eco-tourism activities.
8. Marienburg: A historic village with a rich sugar plantation heritage, featuring remnants of old factories and a museum showcasing Suriname's colonial past.
9. Brownsweg: A small town nestled in the Surinamese rainforest, serving as a base for exploring the nearby Raleighvallen Nature Reserve and Voltzberg.
10. Groningen: A charming village in the Saramacca District, offering a peaceful atmosphere, traditional wooden houses, and access to the beautiful Saramacca River.