What are popular places to visit in Serengeti?
Visiting the Serengeti in Tanzania is an incredible experience and one that should not be missed. From game drives and hot air balloon rides to cultural experiences, there’s something for everyone to enjoy in this spectacular corner of East Africa. The Great Migration is a highlight, with millions of wildebeest, zebra and gazelle stomping across the plains. This natural wonder combined with the abundance of wildlife such as lions, cheetahs and hyenas makes for an unforgettable trip into the heart of nature. Whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation, visiting the Serengeti promises an extraordinary journey every step of the way.
Which time of the year is best to visit Serengeti?
The best time to visit the Serengeti in Tanzania depends on your goals. If you are interested in seeing the Great Migration, late June through early October is the best time to go as this is when millions of wildebeest, zebra and gazelle traverse across the plains. During this timeframe, predators like lions, cheetahs and hyenas can also be spotted hunting their prey.
What are the fun things to do in Serengeti?
The best things to do in the Serengeti include:
1. Spot wildlife with a game drive and/or hot air balloon ride across the plains.
2. Visit Olduvai Gorge, believed by many anthropologists to be the birthplace of mankind.
3. Walk through Ngorongoro Crater, one of the world’s largest calderas with its abundance of wild animals.
4. Take part in cultural experiences such as visiting local villages or attending traditional dances and ceremonies.
5. Enjoy outstanding hospitality and top cuisine at one of the area’s luxurious lodges or campsites.
6. Explore nearby Lake Victoria, Africa’s largest lake, known for its vibrant birdlife and diverse fish species.
7. Go on a walking safari to observe animals in their natural habitat and gain an understanding of the environment and its inhabitants.
8. Participate in guided nature walks and horseback riding tours through the Serengeti National Park.
9. Visit Lake Natron, known for its high population of flamingos, as well as other bird species like pelicans and herons.
10. Spend time with local Maasai people who inhabit the area, learning about their culture and traditional way of life.
What are the best places to visit in Serengeti?
The best places to visit in the Serengeti include:
1. Seronera Valley, home to a variety of predators and prey animals which can be spotted on game drives.
2. Lobo Valley, where visitors can observe large prides of lions, as well as cheetahs, leopards and other big cats.
3. Ngorongoro Crater, one of the world’s largest calderas with its abundance of wild animals including lions, elephants and buffalos.
4. The short grass plains of the southern Serengeti, ideal for spotting giraffe, zebra and wildebeest during their seasonal migration from July to October .
5. Olduvai Gorge, believed by many anthropologists to be the birthplace of mankind and home to some of the oldest human remains ever discovered.
6. The Serengeti Migration camp, offering exceptional game viewing opportunities with its prime location along the path of the Great Migration.
7. Lake Victoria, Africa’s largest lake known for its vibrant birdlife and diverse fish species such as tilapia.
8. Lake Natron, a shallow alkaline lake inhabited by thousands of flamingos and other migratory birds in wet season months.
9. The Maasai Village Experience, where visitors can gain insight into traditional Maasai culture and lifestyle up close.