Fun Things to Do in Tanga | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Tanga Travel Guide
Quick overview of Tanga with essential tips and insights. Jump to any section.
Welcome to Tanga, a hidden gem nestled along the picturesque coastline of East Africa. Known for its pristine beaches, vibrant culture, and rich history, Tanga offers a unique and off-the-beaten-path travel experience. As you explore this coastal city, you will be captivated by its stunning landscapes, from the azure waters of the Indian Ocean to the lush greenery of the Usambara Mountains. Immerse yourself in the local Swahili culture as you wander through the bustling markets, sample delicious street food, and interact with friendly locals. Don't miss the opportunity to visit the historical sites, such as the Amboni Caves, which date back millions of years, or the ruins of Tongoni, a once-thriving Swahili trading town. Whether you are seeking relaxation on the beach, adventure in nature, or a cultural immersion, Tanga has something to offer every traveler.
Tanga Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Tanga for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Tanga in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Things To Do In Tanga
Tanga offers a variety of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Here are some things to do in Tanga:
1. Explore the Tanga City Centre: Take a stroll through the city center and discover its historic buildings, such as the Tanga Museum and the German Boma. Immerse yourself in the local culture by visiting the local markets and interacting with the friendly locals.
2. Relax on the beautiful beaches: Tanga is known for its pristine coastline and white sandy beaches. Spend a day sunbathing and swimming at Amboni Caves Beach or Ushongo Beach. Enjoy the serene atmosphere and take in the breathtaking views of the Indian Ocean.
3. Visit the Amboni Caves: Embark on an adventure to the Amboni Caves, which are the largest limestone caves in East Africa. Explore the intricate cave system and marvel at the stunning rock formations. Guided tours are available to enhance your experience.
4. Go on a safari: Tanga is located near several wildlife reserves and national parks. Embark on a safari to the Saadani National Park or the Mkomazi National Park. Spot a variety of wildlife, including elephants, lions, giraffes, and zebras.
5. Explore the Amani Nature Reserve: Hike through the lush rainforest of the Amani Nature Reserve. Discover a wide range of flora and fauna, including rare bird species. Enjoy the tranquility of nature and take in the fresh air.
6. Engage in water sports: Tanga offers opportunities for diving, snorkeling, and fishing.
Tours And Activities In Tanga
Check out these Top-Rated Tours and Activities in Tanga. Read real reviews and highlights.
Best Time To Visit Tanga
The best time to visit Tanga is during the dry season, which runs from June to October. During this time, the weather is warm and sunny, with little to no rainfall. This makes it ideal for outdoor activities such as sightseeing, hiking, and beach visits. The wet season, which occurs from November to May, is characterized by heavy rainfall and high humidity. While the landscape is lush and green during this time, it can make it more challenging to engage in outdoor activities. Additionally, some roads may become impassable due to flooding. Therefore, it is recommended to plan your visit to Tanga during the dry season for the most enjoyable experience.
Flight Calendar For Tanga
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Tanga.
Best Areas To Stay In Tanga
Tanga offers several great areas for accommodation. Here are a few of the best areas to consider:
1. Tanga City Center: This area is the heart of Tanga and offers a range of accommodation options, from budget-friendly guesthouses to luxurious hotels. Staying in the city center allows easy access to attractions such as the Tanga Museum and the lively local markets.
2. Pangani: Located just south of Tanga, Pangani is a charming coastal town known for its beautiful beaches and historical sites. Accommodation options here include beachfront resorts and eco-lodges, providing a tranquil and scenic stay. Don't miss the opportunity to explore the Pangani River and visit the historic Pangani Fort.
3. Amboni Caves: For those seeking a unique accommodation experience, staying near the Amboni Caves is a great choice. These limestone caves are a natural wonder and offer guided tours for visitors. There are a few guesthouses and lodges in the surrounding area, providing a peaceful retreat close to nature.
4. Saadani National Park: If you're looking to combine accommodation with wildlife experiences, Saadani National Park is the place to be. This park is the only one in Tanzania that borders the Indian Ocean, offering a unique blend of beach and safari experiences. There are a few lodges and tented camps within the park, allowing you to immerse yourself in the stunning natural surroundings.
5. Mlingoni Beach: Situated on the outskirts of Tanga, Mlingoni Beach is a popular spot for both locals and tourists. The area offers a range of accommodation options, including beachfront resorts and guesthouses. Enjoy the sandy beaches, clear waters, and various water activities such as snorkeling and fishing.
Overall, Tanga provides diverse accommodation options in different areas, catering to various preferences and interests. Whether you prefer city center convenience, coastal relaxation, nature exploration, or wildlife encounters, Tanga has something for everyone.
Hotels Map Of Tanga
All-in-one Map to find Best Hotels, Vacation Rentals, Tours, Activities and Restaurants in Tanga.
Transportation To Tanga
There are several transportation options to Tanga.
1. By Air: The nearest airport to Tanga is the Tanga Airport (TGT), which is served by domestic flights from Dar es Salaam. From the airport, you can take a taxi or arrange for a transfer to reach your destination in Tanga.
2. By Bus: Tanga is well-connected by bus services from various cities in Tanzania. You can take a bus from Dar es Salaam, Arusha, or other major cities to reach Tanga. The journey duration and ticket prices may vary depending on the starting point.
3. By Train: Tanga is also accessible by train. The Tanzania Railways Corporation operates train services from Dar es Salaam to Tanga. The journey takes approximately 6-8 hours, and you can enjoy scenic views along the way.
4. By Car: If you prefer to drive, you can rent a car and take the road to Tanga. The city is connected to the rest of Tanzania by well-maintained roads. However, it is advisable to check the road conditions and plan your journey accordingly.
Once you reach Tanga, you can use local taxis, buses, or hire a car to get around the city and explore its attractions.
Nearby Destination From Tanga
1. Pangani: A coastal town known for its beautiful beaches and historical sites.
2. Muheza: A small town surrounded by lush green hills and home to the Amani Nature Reserve.
3. Handeni: A vibrant market town with a rich cultural heritage and traditional Swahili architecture.
4. Korogwe: A bustling town located on the slopes of the Usambara Mountains, offering stunning views and hiking opportunities.
5. Lushoto: A charming hill station known for its cool climate, tea plantations, and panoramic views of the surrounding valleys.
6. Moshi: A popular tourist destination at the foothills of Mount Kilimanjaro, offering access to various trekking routes.
7. Arusha: The gateway to Tanzania's famous national parks, including Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater.
8. Dar es Salaam: The largest city in Tanzania, known for its vibrant markets, cultural diversity, and beautiful beaches.
9. Bagamoyo: A historic coastal town with UNESCO World Heritage sites and a rich history of trade and slavery.
10. Zanzibar City: The capital of Zanzibar, renowned for its stunning beaches, spice markets, and UNESCO-listed Stone Town.