Fun Things to Do in Lopburi | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Lopburi, a city that seamlessly blends ancient history with modern charm. Located just 150 kilometers north of Bangkok, Lopburi is renowned for its rich cultural heritage and captivating landmarks. As you wander through the streets, you'll be transported back in time to the Khmer Empire, with magnificent ruins and temples scattered throughout the city. One of the most iconic attractions is the Prang Sam Yot, a stunning 13th-century temple overrun by mischievous monkeys. These playful creatures have become synonymous with Lopburi and add a unique element to your visit. Whether you're exploring the ancient ruins, indulging in delicious Thai cuisine, or immersing yourself in the vibrant local markets, Lopburi promises an unforgettable travel experience.
Lopburi Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Lopburi for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Lopburi in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Lopburi Trip
Planning a trip to Lopburi on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Lopburi
Lopburi Travel Guide
Quick overview of Lopburi with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Lopburi
Lopburi is a vibrant city located in central Thailand. It is known for its rich history, stunning architecture, and unique attractions. Here are some things to do in Lopburi:
1. Visit the Phra Prang Sam Yot Temple: This iconic temple is one of the most famous landmarks in Lopburi. It features three towering prangs (spires) and is home to a large population of monkeys. Exploring the temple grounds and observing the monkeys is a must-do activity.
2. Explore the Lopburi Monkey Temple: Also known as the Phra Kan Shrine, this temple is overrun by monkeys. Interacting with these mischievous creatures and feeding them can be a fun and unique experience.
3. Discover the Lopburi National Museum: This museum showcases the history and culture of Lopburi. Admire the artifacts and learn about the city's past through the various exhibits.
4. Visit the King Narai's Palace: This historical site was once the residence of King Narai the Great. Explore the palace grounds, admire the beautiful architecture, and learn about the history of the Ayutthaya period.
5. Explore the Wat Phra Si Mahathat: This ancient temple is known for its impressive Buddha statues and intricate carvings. Take a stroll around the temple complex and immerse yourself in the peaceful atmosphere.
6. Experience the Lopburi Sunflower Fields: If you visit Lopburi during the sunflower season (November to January), take a trip to the nearby sunflower fields. Witness the stunning yellow blooms and capture memorable photos.
7. Enjoy the Lopburi Food Scene: Lopburi is famous for its delicious street food and local delicacies. Indulge in dishes like khao lam (sticky rice in bamboo), khanom mo kaeng (coconut custard), and khanom tan (palm sugar candy).
Tours And Activities In Lopburi
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Lopburi at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Lopburi
The best time to visit Lopburi is during the cool and dry season, which runs from November to February. During this time, the weather is pleasantly mild with lower humidity levels, making it ideal for exploring the city's attractions and outdoor activities. Additionally, this period coincides with the festive season in Thailand, including Christmas and New Year, which adds to the vibrant atmosphere of Lopburi. It is important to note that Lopburi can get quite hot and humid during the summer months from March to May, and experiences heavy rainfall during the monsoon season from June to October. Therefore, it is advisable to avoid visiting during these times to ensure a more enjoyable experience.
Flight Calendar For Lopburi
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Lopburi.
Best Hotels To Stay In Lopburi
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Lopburi's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Lopburi
Lopburi is a charming city located in central Thailand, known for its rich history and cultural heritage. When it comes to finding accommodation in Lopburi, there are several areas that stand out for their convenience and attractions.
1. Lopburi City Center: This area is the heart of the city and offers a range of accommodation options, from budget guesthouses to luxury hotels. Staying in the city center allows easy access to Lopburi's main attractions, such as the famous Monkey Temple and the historical sites of Phra Narai Ratchaniwet Palace and Wat Phra Si Mahathat.
2. Phra Kanong: Located just outside the city center, Phra Kanong is a quieter area that offers a more relaxed atmosphere. It is a great choice for those seeking a peaceful stay while still being within reach of Lopburi's main attractions. The area is known for its beautiful temples and traditional Thai architecture.
3. Ban Mi: Situated on the outskirts of Lopburi, Ban Mi is a rural area that provides a tranquil escape from the city. It is surrounded by lush greenery and offers a chance to experience the authentic Thai countryside. Accommodation options in Ban Mi range from cozy guesthouses to eco-friendly resorts, making it an ideal choice for nature lovers and those looking for a unique experience.
4. Tha Hin: Located along the Lopburi River, Tha Hin is a picturesque area that offers a blend of natural beauty and historical sites. It is home to the iconic King Narai's Palace, which is a must-visit attraction in Lopburi. The area also boasts scenic river views and charming cafes, making it a popular choice for those seeking a peaceful and scenic stay.
Overall, Lopburi offers a variety of accommodation options in different areas, catering to various preferences and budgets. Whether you prefer to stay in the bustling city center or immerse yourself in the tranquility of the countryside, Lopburi has something to offer for every traveler.
Hotels Map Of Lopburi
Easily navigate your Lopburi journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Lopburi with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Lopburi
There are several transportation options to get to Lopburi:
1. By Train: Lopburi has a train station that is well-connected to major cities in Thailand, including Bangkok. You can take a train from Bangkok's Hua Lamphong Station to Lopburi, which takes approximately 2-3 hours.
2. By Bus: There are regular bus services from Bangkok's Northern Bus Terminal (Mo Chit) to Lopburi. The journey takes around 2-3 hours, depending on traffic conditions.
3. By Car: Lopburi is located approximately 150 kilometers north of Bangkok, and you can reach it by car via Highway 1 (Phahonyothin Road). The journey takes around 2-3 hours, depending on traffic conditions.
4. By Minivan: Minivans are a popular mode of transportation in Thailand, and you can find minivan services from Bangkok to Lopburi. These minivans are usually faster than buses and take around 2 hours to reach Lopburi.
5. By Taxi: You can also hire a taxi from Bangkok to Lopburi, which offers a more comfortable and convenient option. However, it can be more expensive compared to other modes of transportation.
It is recommended to check the schedules and availability of transportation options before your trip to ensure a smooth journey to Lopburi.
Rent A Car In Lopburi
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Lopburi.
Nearby Destinantion From Lopburi
1. Ayutthaya: Known for its ancient temples and historical ruins.
2. Saraburi: Famous for its stunning waterfalls and natural beauty.
3. Singburi: Home to the iconic Wat Phra Non Chakkrasi Worawihan temple.
4. Ang Thong: Offers picturesque landscapes and a vibrant floating market.
5. Nakhon Sawan: Known as the "City of Heaven" with its beautiful riverside scenery.
6. Suphan Buri: Rich in historical sites, including the iconic Dragon Descendants Museum.
7. Chai Nat: Boasts the stunning Chao Phraya River and the famous Wat Thammamun Worawihan temple.
8. Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya: A UNESCO World Heritage Site, renowned for its ancient ruins and temples.
9. Nakhon Pathom: Home to the iconic Phra Pathom Chedi, the tallest stupa in the world.
10. Bangkok: The bustling capital city of Thailand, known for its vibrant street life and cultural landmarks.