Fun Things to Do in Suzhou | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Suzhou, a city that seamlessly blends ancient traditions with modern innovation. Located in the eastern part of the country, Suzhou is renowned for its picturesque canals, classical gardens, and silk production. As one of the oldest cities in the Yangtze Basin, Suzhou boasts a rich history that dates back over 2,500 years. Its well-preserved ancient architecture and UNESCO World Heritage Sites, such as the Humble Administrator's Garden and the Master of the Nets Garden, offer visitors a glimpse into China's imperial past. Additionally, Suzhou is known as the "Venice of the East" due to its intricate network of canals and charming water towns like Zhouzhuang and Tongli. Whether you're exploring the city's cultural heritage, indulging in delectable local cuisine, or immersing yourself in the vibrant street markets, Suzhou promises an unforgettable travel experience that combines tradition, beauty, and authenticity.
Suzhou Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Suzhou for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Suzhou in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Suzhou Trip
Planning a trip to Suzhou on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Suzhou
Suzhou Travel Guide
Quick overview of Suzhou with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Suzhou
Suzhou is a city rich in history and culture, offering a plethora of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Here are some of the main things to do in Suzhou:
1. Explore the Classical Gardens: Suzhou is famous for its exquisite classical gardens, which are recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage site. These gardens, such as the Humble Administrator's Garden and the Lingering Garden, showcase traditional Chinese landscaping techniques and offer a serene escape from the bustling city.
2. Visit Tiger Hill: Tiger Hill is a historic landmark in Suzhou, known for its iconic leaning pagoda, the Yunyan Temple. Visitors can climb to the top of the pagoda for panoramic views of the city and explore the beautiful gardens and historical sites within the hill.
3. Take a Boat Ride on the Grand Canal: The Grand Canal, a UNESCO World Heritage site, runs through Suzhou and offers a unique way to explore the city. Visitors can take a boat ride along the canal, passing by traditional houses, ancient bridges, and bustling markets.
4. Stroll along Pingjiang Road: Pingjiang Road is a charming ancient street in Suzhou, lined with traditional houses, shops, and teahouses. It is a great place to immerse yourself in the local culture, try local snacks, and shop for traditional handicrafts.
5. Visit Suzhou Museum: Designed by renowned architect I.M. Pei, the Suzhou Museum is a must-visit for art and history enthusiasts. The museum houses a vast collection of ancient artifacts, paintings, and calligraphy, showcasing the rich cultural heritage of Suzhou.
6. Experience Kunqu Opera: Suzhou is the birthplace of Kunqu Opera, one of the oldest forms of Chinese opera. Visitors can attend a performance at the Suzhou Kunqu Opera Theater to witness the graceful movements, melodious singing, and intricate costumes of this traditional art form.
7. Explore the Water Towns: Suzhou is surrounded by picturesque water towns, such as Zhouzhuang and Tongli, which offer a glimpse into traditional Chinese village life. Visitors can wander through narrow canals, admire ancient architecture, and enjoy boat rides in these charming towns.
8. Try Local Cuisine: Suzhou is known for its delicious local cuisine, which includes dishes like sweet and sour Mandarin fish, squirrel-shaped mandarin fish, and hairy crab.
Tours And Activities In Suzhou
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Suzhou at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Suzhou
The best time to visit Suzhou is during the spring (March to May) and autumn (September to November) seasons. During these times, the weather is mild and pleasant, with comfortable temperatures ranging from 15 to 25 degrees Celsius (59 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit). The spring season brings blooming flowers and lush greenery, making it a picturesque time to explore the city's beautiful gardens and scenic landscapes. In the autumn, the city is adorned with vibrant fall foliage, creating a colorful backdrop for sightseeing and outdoor activities. Additionally, these seasons are considered off-peak times for tourism, meaning fewer crowds and lower prices for accommodations and attractions. However, it is important to note that Suzhou can experience heavy rainfall during the spring and typhoons during the autumn, so it is advisable to check the weather forecast before planning your trip.
Flight Calendar For Suzhou
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Suzhou.
Best Hotels To Stay In Suzhou
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Suzhou's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Suzhou
Suzhou offers a variety of great areas for accommodation. Here are a few of the best areas to consider:
1. Pingjiang District: Located in the heart of Suzhou, Pingjiang District is known for its charming canals, historic buildings, and traditional Chinese gardens. This area offers a unique cultural experience with its narrow streets, ancient bridges, and well-preserved architecture. It is also home to many boutique hotels and guesthouses, providing a cozy and authentic stay.
2. Suzhou Industrial Park: Situated in the eastern part of the city, Suzhou Industrial Park is a modern and vibrant area. It is known for its high-tech industries, beautiful lakes, and well-planned urban development. This area offers a range of accommodation options, including luxury hotels and serviced apartments. It is a great choice for business travelers or those looking for a more contemporary atmosphere.
3. Gusu District: Gusu District is the historic center of Suzhou and is famous for its classical gardens, UNESCO World Heritage sites, and traditional Chinese architecture. Staying in this area allows you to immerse yourself in the rich history and cultural heritage of Suzhou. There are numerous hotels and guesthouses available, offering a blend of traditional charm and modern comfort.
4. Suzhou New District: As the economic and administrative center of Suzhou, Suzhou New District is a bustling area with a mix of residential, commercial, and industrial zones. It offers a wide range of accommodation options, from budget-friendly hotels to upscale serviced apartments. This area is well-connected to transportation hubs and offers convenient access to shopping malls, restaurants, and entertainment venues.
5. Wuzhong District: Located in the southwestern part of Suzhou, Wuzhong District is known for its picturesque water towns, scenic lakes, and tranquil countryside. This area offers a peaceful and serene environment, making it a popular choice for those seeking a relaxing getaway. There are various accommodation options available, including boutique hotels and traditional guesthouses, allowing visitors to experience the charm of rural Suzhou.
Overall, Suzhou offers a diverse range of accommodation options in different areas, catering to various preferences and interests. Whether you prefer a historic district, a modern industrial park, or a serene countryside setting, Suzhou has something to offer for everyone.
Hotels Map Of Suzhou
Easily navigate your Suzhou journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Suzhou with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Suzhou
There are several transportation options to Suzhou.
1. By Air: The nearest airport to Suzhou is Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport (SHA), which is about 80 kilometers away. From the airport, you can take a taxi or a shuttle bus to Suzhou.
2. By Train: Suzhou has two major train stations, Suzhou Railway Station and Suzhou North Railway Station. You can take a high-speed train from major cities in China, such as Shanghai, Beijing, and Guangzhou, to Suzhou.
3. By Bus: Suzhou has a well-developed bus network connecting it to nearby cities and towns. You can take a long-distance bus from Shanghai, Nanjing, Hangzhou, and other cities to Suzhou.
4. By Taxi: Taxis are readily available in Suzhou and can be a convenient way to get around the city or to travel to nearby areas.
5. By Metro: Suzhou has a metro system with several lines that connect different parts of the city. This can be a convenient option for traveling within Suzhou.
6. By Bicycle: Suzhou is known for its beautiful canals and gardens, and cycling is a popular way to explore the city. You can rent a bicycle from various rental shops in Suzhou.
It is recommended to check the latest transportation schedules and availability before planning your trip to Suzhou.
Rent A Car In Suzhou
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Suzhou.
Nearby Destinantion From Suzhou
1. Shanghai: A bustling metropolis known for its modern skyline and vibrant nightlife.
2. Hangzhou: Famous for its picturesque West Lake and historic temples.
3. Nanjing: A city rich in history, with attractions such as the Ming Xiaoling Mausoleum and Nanjing City Wall.
4. Wuxi: Known as the "Land of Fish and Rice," it offers beautiful gardens and a thriving food scene.
5. Changzhou: Home to the ancient Tianning Temple and the scenic China Dinosaur Park.
6. Yangzhou: A charming city with traditional Chinese architecture and the stunning Slender West Lake.
7. Nantong: Offers a mix of modern development and natural beauty, with attractions like Wolf Mountain and Hao River.
8. Zhenjiang: Known for its scenic landscapes, including the majestic Jinshan Mountain and the Yangtze River.
9. Taizhou: A coastal city with beautiful beaches and a rich cultural heritage.
10. Changshu: Famous for its silk industry and the picturesque Yushan Mountain.