Frequently Asked Questions About Makarska
Makarska is a vibrant city on the Croatian coast of the Adriatic Sea. With its stunning beaches, bustling markets and lively nightlife, it’s the perfect destination for a memorable holiday. Explore ancient cobbled streets in the old town or head out to the tranquil countryside for breathtaking views. You’ll find plenty of activities to keep you entertained during your stay, such as sailing, diving and exploring local landmarks. Discover amazing restaurants serving up traditional dishes with fresh seafood and delightful wines. Whether you’re looking for an adventure-filled getaway or a relaxing beach vacation, Makarska has something for everyone!
When is the best time for traveling to Makarska?
The best time to visit Makarska, Croatia, is between May and October. During this period, the weather is typically sunny and mild with temperatures reaching up to 30°C (86°F). This is also a great time for swimming and beach activities. The sea temperature generally reaches 24°C (75°F) during these months. If you're looking for fewer crowds but still good weather, April or early May are great times to visit as well. The winter months can be quite cold, so it's best to avoid visiting the region in December, January or February if possible.
Which area is best to stay in Makarska?
The best area to stay in Makarska is the city centre. There are many hotels, apartments and villas located here with easy access to the beach, restaurants and other attractions. The city centre also has good public transport links and is within walking distance of most major sites. If you're looking for a more secluded experience, then you can opt for accommodation situated on one of the nearby islands or head further inland towards the mountains. Here you'll find quieter resorts as well as stunning views of the Adriatic Sea.
Which are the most popular attractions in Makarska?
Popular attractions in Makarska include:
1. The City Centre – Here you can explore the narrow winding streets, visit the many shops, cafes and restaurants as well as soak up the vibrant culture of Makarska.
2. Mts Vrulja – This is a mountain peak that overlooks Makarska Bay. You can take a cable car to get to the top for stunning views of the city and sea.
3. Biokovo Nature Park – This park is located nearby and contains an incredible variety of flora and fauna. There are also several hiking trails here which make for great day trips from Makarska.
4. Beach Promenade – Stroll along this beach promenade and enjoy the stunning views of Makarska Bay and its many islands.
5. St Peter's Church – This historic church is located in the centre of Makarska, and it is a popular spot for locals and tourists alike. Inside you can admire its intricate architecture, stained glass windows and artwork.
6. Island Hopping – Take a boat trip to one or more of the nearby islands such as Hvar, Brac or Vis for further exploration and adventure.
7. Water Sports – From kayaking to windsurfing, Makarska offers plenty of opportunities for water sports enthusiasts.
Which food places should I try in Makarska?
The best places to eat in Makarska are:
1. Konoba Didov San – Offering authentic Croatian cuisine including fresh seafood.
2. La Bocca Pizzeria – A great spot for pizza lovers.
3. Punta Rata Beach Bar & Restaurant – Located on the beach, this restaurant has an excellent selection of traditional dishes and cocktails.
4. Da Vinci's – This is a popular Italian restaurant featuring classic Italian dishes and an extensive wine list.
5. Toma - An informal eatery serving up delicious homemade burgers and fries.
6. Restauraunt Franić – Specializing in Mediterranean fare with a variety of vegetarian options.
7. Cantina Bonaca – A vibrant seafood restaurant with a wonderful terrace overlooking the sea.
8. Bistro Kalelarga – Offering up tasty meat dishes as well as vegan and vegetarian options.
9. La Nave Bar & Restaurant – Situated on an old fishing boat, this restaurant serves up traditional Croatian cuisine in a unique setting.
What are some good shopping areas in Makarska?
The best places to do shopping in Makarska are:
1. The Old Town – Here you can find a variety of souvenirs and gifts, as well as local handmade jewelry.
2. Kralja Tomislava Street – This pedestrian street offers a range of shops selling clothes, accessories and other items.
3. Port Milenijum Shopping Centre– Located next to the harbour, this shopping centre has many stores with everything from fashion to electronics.
4. Stinica Shopping Centre – This is another great place for those looking for clothing or cosmetics.
5. Poljana Shopping Mall – A big mall offering a wide selection of goods ranging from apparel to household items.
6. Marketplaces - You can find a variety of fresh produce, spices, and souvenirs at the local marketplaces.
7. Boutiques – There are several boutique stores here offering luxury items such as designer clothes and accessories.
8. Craftsman's Shops – Here you will find handmade goods made by local artisans ranging from pottery to jewelry.
9. Supermarkets - Makarska has several supermarkets where you can get all your grocery needs in one place. These include Konzum, Tommy and Plodine.
What are the best places to enjoy nightlife in Makarska?
The best nightlife options in Makarska are:
1. Incognito – With a great atmosphere, this bar is the perfect place to kickstart your evening with its tasty cocktails and live music.
2. La Nave Bar & Restaurant – This unique restaurant-bar is situated on an old fishing boat and has a lively atmosphere for drinks and dancing.
3. Punta Rata Beach Bar & Restaurant – Both day and night this beach bar offers great food as well as delicious cocktails.
4. Budva Lounge & Restaurant – A vibrant club featuring top DJs from around the world, along with delicious bites and signature cocktails.
5. Charlie’s Pub – Enjoy live DJ sets, beer pong competitions and more at this popular pub.
6. Old Town Clubs– There are a few clubs situated in the old town, offering up electro and house music until late.
7. Casa Del Mar – Situated on the harbour with amazing views, this bar offers a wide selection of drinks and cocktails.
8. Toma - This is an informal bar with live music throughout the week and plenty of beer on tap. They also serve traditional Croatian dishes.
What are the nearby day trips to take from Makarska?
The best day trips near Makarska are:
1. Split – This UNESCO World Heritage site is one of the largest cities in Croatia, and offers plenty of attractions such as Diocletian’s Palace and Marjan Hill.
2. Hvar Island – Located just off the coast, this gorgeous island is the perfect spot to relax and enjoy stunning views.
3. Dubrovnik – A beautiful walled city with a rich history, here you can explore medieval churches, Venetian fortresses and more.
4. Plitvice Lakes National Park – Experience Mother Nature at its finest with stunning lakes, waterfalls and verdant forests.
5. Krka National Park – Famous for its majestic waterfalls, this park is home to a variety of wildlife that you can observe.
6. Mostar – This city is known for its beautiful Stari Most bridge, as well as many Ottoman-era buildings and churches.
7. Kornati Islands – A stunning archipelago with more than 140 islands, here you can enjoy some of the best sunsets in Croatia.
8. Trogir – An old fishing town with medieval walls and Venetian influences, Trogir offers amazing food and scenery.
9. Korcula Island – Enjoy crystal clear waters, unspoiled beaches and plenty of history at this charming island near Makarska.