Fun Things to Do in Protaras | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Protaras Travel Guide
Quick overview of Protaras with essential tips and insights. Jump to any section.
Welcome to Protaras! Located on the southeastern coast of the island, Protaras is a popular tourist destination known for its stunning beaches, crystal-clear waters, and vibrant nightlife. With its warm Mediterranean climate, this coastal town offers the perfect setting for a relaxing beach getaway. Whether you're looking to soak up the sun on the famous Fig Tree Bay, explore the underwater world through snorkeling and diving, or indulge in delicious Cypriot cuisine at the local tavernas, Protaras has something for everyone. Don't miss the opportunity to visit the nearby Cape Greco National Forest Park, where you can hike along scenic trails and discover breathtaking sea caves. With its picturesque landscapes and rich cultural heritage, Protaras is a must-visit destination for any traveler seeking a blend of relaxation and adventure.
Protaras Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Protaras for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Protaras in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Things To Do In Protaras
Protaras is a beautiful coastal town located on the southeastern coast of the island. It offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy.
One of the main things to do in Protaras is to visit its stunning beaches. The town is known for its crystal-clear turquoise waters and golden sandy shores. Fig Tree Bay is the main beach in Protaras and is considered one of the best beaches in Cyprus. Visitors can relax on the beach, soak up the sun, and take a refreshing swim in the sea.
Another main attraction in Protaras is the Cape Greco National Forest Park. This natural park is a haven for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts. It offers scenic walking trails, breathtaking viewpoints, and unique rock formations. Visitors can explore the park on foot or by bike and enjoy the stunning views of the Mediterranean Sea.
For those interested in history and culture, a visit to the Church of Profitis Elias is a main highlight. This iconic church is perched on a hilltop and offers panoramic views of Protaras and the surrounding area. Visitors can climb to the top of the church and admire the stunning vistas.
Water sports are also a main draw in Protaras. Visitors can try their hand at activities such as jet skiing, parasailing, and banana boat rides. The warm Mediterranean waters provide the perfect setting for these thrilling adventures.
In addition, Protaras offers a vibrant nightlife scene with numerous bars, clubs, and restaurants. Visitors can enjoy delicious local cuisine, sip on refreshing cocktails, and dance the night away.
Overall, Protaras offers a diverse range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. From its beautiful beaches and natural parks to its historical sites and exciting water sports, there is something for everyone in this charming coastal town.
Tours And Activities In Protaras
Check out these Top-Rated Tours and Activities in Protaras. Read real reviews and highlights.
Best Time To Visit Protaras
The best time to visit Protaras is during the spring (April to June) and fall (September to November) seasons. During these months, the weather is pleasantly warm, with average temperatures ranging from 20°C to 25°C (68°F to 77°F). The summer months (July and August) can be extremely hot, with temperatures often exceeding 30°C (86°F). Winter (December to February) is the off-peak season, with cooler temperatures and a higher chance of rain. However, even during the winter months, Protaras still experiences mild weather compared to other European destinations. Tourist crowds are generally smaller during the spring and fall, making it an ideal time to visit if you prefer a quieter and more relaxed atmosphere.
Flight Calendar For Protaras
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Protaras.
Best Areas To Stay In Protaras
Protaras is a popular tourist destination located on the eastern coast of Cyprus. It offers a range of beautiful beaches and crystal-clear waters, making it an ideal location for beach lovers. One of the best areas for accommodation in Protaras is Fig Tree Bay, known for its stunning sandy beach and vibrant atmosphere. This area is home to a variety of luxury resorts and beachfront hotels, providing visitors with easy access to the beach and a range of amenities.
Another great area for accommodation in Protaras is Pernera, which is slightly quieter than Fig Tree Bay but still offers a range of family-friendly hotels and apartment complexes. Pernera is known for its picturesque harbor and waterfront restaurants, providing visitors with a charming and relaxed atmosphere.
For those seeking a more peaceful and secluded stay, Cape Greco is an excellent choice. This area is located on a protected nature reserve and offers stunning cliffside views of the Mediterranean Sea. Accommodation options in Cape Greco include private villas and boutique hotels, providing a tranquil and luxurious experience.
Overall, Protaras offers a range of accommodation options to suit different preferences and budgets. Whether you prefer a lively beachfront location or a peaceful retreat, Protaras has something to offer for everyone.
Hotels Map Of Protaras
All-in-one Map to find Best Hotels, Vacation Rentals, Tours, Activities and Restaurants in Protaras.
Transportation To Protaras
There are several transportation options to Protaras.
1. By Air: The nearest airport to Protaras is Larnaca International Airport (LCA), which is approximately 65 kilometers away. From the airport, you can take a taxi, hire a private transfer, or use public transportation to reach Protaras.
2. By Bus: There are regular bus services from Larnaca to Protaras. The journey takes around 1 hour and buses operate throughout the day. You can check the bus schedules and fares on the Cyprus Public Transport website.
3. By Taxi: Taxis are readily available at Larnaca Airport and can take you directly to Protaras. It is advisable to negotiate the fare with the driver before starting the journey.
4. By Car: If you prefer to drive, you can rent a car at Larnaca Airport and take the A3 highway towards Ayia Napa. Protaras is located just a few kilometers east of Ayia Napa and is well signposted.
5. By Shuttle Service: Some hotels and resorts in Protaras offer shuttle services for their guests. Check with your accommodation provider if they provide this service.
It is recommended to check the latest transportation options and schedules before your trip, as they may be subject to change.
Nearby Destination From Protaras
1. Ayia Napa: A popular tourist destination known for its vibrant nightlife and beautiful beaches.
2. Paralimni: A charming town with traditional Cypriot architecture and a bustling town square.
3. Larnaca: A coastal city famous for its palm-lined promenade, historic sites, and lively atmosphere.
4. Limassol: The second-largest city in Cyprus, offering a mix of modern amenities, ancient ruins, and a vibrant marina.
5. Nicosia: The capital city of Cyprus, known for its rich history, cultural landmarks, and bustling city center.
6. Paphos: A UNESCO World Heritage site, Paphos is home to ancient ruins, beautiful beaches, and a picturesque harbor.
7. Famagusta: A historic city with well-preserved medieval walls, ancient ruins, and stunning sandy beaches.
8. Deryneia: A small village known for its panoramic views, traditional taverns, and proximity to the Green Line.
9. Xylophagou: A peaceful village surrounded by farmland, offering a tranquil escape from the bustling tourist areas.
10. Oroklini: A picturesque village nestled on a hillside, offering stunning views of Larnaca Bay and a peaceful atmosphere.