Fun Things to Do in Nottingham | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Nottingham! Located in the heart of the East Midlands, this vibrant city is known for its rich history, stunning architecture, and legendary tales of Robin Hood. As you explore Nottingham, you'll be captivated by its medieval charm, with the iconic Nottingham Castle standing proudly atop a hill, offering panoramic views of the city. Immerse yourself in the city's cultural scene by visiting the Nottingham Contemporary, a renowned art gallery showcasing contemporary works, or catch a show at the Theatre Royal, one of the oldest theaters in the country. Don't forget to indulge in the local cuisine, with traditional dishes such as the famous Nottinghamshire pie and the delicious Bramley apple pie. Whether you're a history enthusiast, an art lover, or a foodie, Nottingham has something to offer for everyone. So pack your bags and get ready to embark on an unforgettable journey through this enchanting city.
Nottingham Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Nottingham for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Nottingham in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Nottingham Trip
Planning a trip to Nottingham on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Nottingham
Nottingham Travel Guide
Quick overview of Nottingham with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Nottingham
There are many things to do in Nottingham that cater to a variety of interests.
One of the main attractions in Nottingham is Nottingham Castle. This historic site offers stunning views of the city and houses a museum that showcases the city's history. Visitors can explore the castle grounds, visit the caves beneath the castle, and learn about the legendary outlaw Robin Hood.
For those interested in literature and history, a visit to The Lace Market is a must. This area is known for its beautiful Georgian and Victorian architecture and was once the center of the world's lace industry. Today, it is home to trendy shops, cafes, and bars, making it a great place to explore and soak up the atmosphere.
Wollaton Hall and Deer Park is another popular destination in Nottingham. This Elizabethan mansion is surrounded by a vast parkland where visitors can spot deer and enjoy a peaceful walk. The hall itself houses the Nottingham Natural History Museum, which displays a wide range of exhibits, including fossils, taxidermy, and local wildlife.
If you're a fan of shopping, then a visit to intu Victoria Centre is a must. This large shopping center is home to a wide range of high street and designer stores, as well as restaurants and entertainment options. It's the perfect place to indulge in some retail therapy or catch a movie.
For those who enjoy outdoor activities, Sherwood Forest is a must-visit. This ancient woodland is famous for being the legendary home of Robin Hood and his Merry Men. Visitors can explore the forest on foot or by bike, and even take part in archery lessons. The forest also offers various walking trails and picnic spots, making it a great place to spend a day in nature.
Lastly, Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem is a unique attraction in Nottingham. This pub claims to be the oldest inn in England, dating back to 1189. It is built into the rock beneath Nottingham Castle and offers a fascinating glimpse into the city's history. Visitors can enjoy a drink in the cozy interior or relax in the beer garden while taking in the historic surroundings.
In conclusion, Nottingham offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. From exploring historic sites like Nottingham Castle and The Lace Market to enjoying outdoor activities in Sherwood Forest, there is something for everyone in this vibrant city.
Tours And Activities In Nottingham
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Nottingham at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Nottingham
The best time to visit Nottingham is during the summer months of June, July, and August. This is when the weather is generally warm and sunny, making it ideal for exploring the city's outdoor attractions such as Nottingham Castle and Wollaton Hall. Additionally, summer is when festivals and events like the Nottingham Carnival and Riverside Festival take place, adding to the vibrant atmosphere of the city. However, it's important to note that summer is also the peak tourist season, so expect larger crowds and higher prices for accommodations. If you prefer a quieter visit, spring and autumn can also be good times to visit Nottingham as the weather is mild and there are fewer tourists.
Flight Calendar For Nottingham
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Nottingham.
Best Hotels To Stay In Nottingham
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Nottingham's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Nottingham
Nottingham offers a variety of great areas for accommodation. Here are a few of the best areas to consider:
1. City Centre: The heart of Nottingham, the City Centre is a bustling area with a vibrant nightlife, shopping districts, and cultural attractions. It is home to popular landmarks such as Nottingham Castle and the Old Market Square. Accommodation options in the City Centre range from luxury hotels to budget-friendly hostels, making it a convenient choice for both tourists and business travelers.
2. Lace Market: Located just south of the City Centre, the Lace Market is a historic area known for its well-preserved Georgian and Victorian architecture. It is named after the lace industry that once thrived here. Today, the Lace Market is a trendy neighborhood with a mix of boutique hotels, stylish apartments, and trendy bars and restaurants. It offers a unique blend of history and modernity.
3. West Bridgford: Situated just across the River Trent from the City Centre, West Bridgford is a popular residential area known for its leafy streets and family-friendly atmosphere. It is home to the famous Trent Bridge cricket ground and the Nottingham Forest Football Club. West Bridgford offers a range of accommodation options, including charming guesthouses and comfortable serviced apartments.
4. Beeston: Located southwest of the City Centre, Beeston is a vibrant suburb with a thriving community. It is home to the University of Nottingham's main campus, making it a popular choice for students and academics. Beeston offers a mix of affordable housing options, including student accommodation, family homes, and modern apartments. The area also boasts a variety of shops, restaurants, and green spaces.
5. Mapperley: Situated northeast of the City Centre, Mapperley is a residential area known for its picturesque streets and green spaces. It offers a peaceful and suburban atmosphere while still being within easy reach of the City Centre. Accommodation options in Mapperley include charming bed and breakfasts, cozy guesthouses, and self-catering apartments. The area is also well-connected by public transport, making it convenient for commuting.
Overall, Nottingham offers a diverse range of areas for accommodation, each with its own unique charm and amenities. Whether you prefer the bustling City Centre, the historic Lace Market, the family-friendly West Bridgford, the student-friendly Beeston, or the peaceful Mapperley, you are sure to find a suitable place to stay in this vibrant city.
Hotels Map Of Nottingham
Easily navigate your Nottingham journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Nottingham with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Nottingham
There are several transportation options to get to Nottingham:
1. By Air: The nearest airport to Nottingham is East Midlands Airport (EMA), which is located about 13 miles southwest of the city center. From the airport, you can take a taxi, bus, or train to reach Nottingham.
2. By Train: Nottingham is well-connected by train services. There are direct train services from major cities in the UK, including London, Birmingham, Manchester, and Leeds. The train station in Nottingham is centrally located, making it convenient to reach the city center.
3. By Bus: National Express and other bus companies operate services to Nottingham from various cities in the UK. The bus station in Nottingham is located in the city center, providing easy access to the surrounding areas.
4. By Car: Nottingham is easily accessible by car, with major roads such as the M1 and A52 connecting the city to other parts of the UK. There are several car parks available in the city center for parking.
5. By Coach: National Express and other coach companies offer coach services to Nottingham from various cities in the UK. The coach station in Nottingham is located in the city center, making it convenient for travelers.
Once in Nottingham, there are also local transportation options available, including buses and trams, to explore the city and its surroundings.
Rent A Car In Nottingham
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Nottingham.
Nearby Destinantion From Nottingham
1. Derby - A vibrant city known for its rich history and cultural attractions.
2. Leicester - A diverse city with a thriving arts scene and a fascinating mix of modern and historical architecture.
3. Lincoln - Home to a stunning cathedral and a medieval castle, this city offers a glimpse into England's past.
4. Sheffield - A bustling city surrounded by beautiful countryside, famous for its steel industry and vibrant music scene.
5. Mansfield - Nestled in the heart of Sherwood Forest, this town is known for its connection to the legendary Robin Hood.
6. Chesterfield - Famous for its crooked spire, this market town offers a charming blend of history and modern amenities.
7. Loughborough - A university town renowned for its sporting heritage and innovative technology.
8. Newark-on-Trent - A historic market town with a stunning castle and a bustling market square.
9. Burton upon Trent - Known for its brewing heritage, this town offers a taste of traditional English ales.
10. Melton Mowbray - Famous for its pork pies and stilton cheese, this market town is a food lover's paradise.