Fun Things to Do in Saint Laurent du Maroni | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Saint Laurent du Maroni, a charming town located in the heart of French Guiana. Nestled along the Maroni River, this hidden gem offers a unique blend of history, culture, and natural beauty. As one of the largest towns in the region, Saint Laurent du Maroni is known for its rich colonial past, having once served as a major penal colony during the 19th and 20th centuries. Today, visitors can explore the remnants of the infamous Camp de la Transportation, a former prison that provides a haunting glimpse into the town's dark history. Beyond its historical significance, Saint Laurent du Maroni also boasts stunning natural landscapes, including lush rainforests, picturesque waterfalls, and pristine beaches. Whether you're interested in delving into the town's past or immersing yourself in its breathtaking surroundings, Saint Laurent du Maroni offers a truly unforgettable travel experience.
Saint Laurent du Maroni Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Saint Laurent du Maroni for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Saint Laurent du Maroni in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Saint Laurent du Maroni Trip
Planning a trip to Saint Laurent du Maroni on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Saint Laurent du Maroni
Saint Laurent du Maroni Travel Guide
Quick overview of Saint Laurent du Maroni with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Saint Laurent du Maroni
Saint Laurent du Maroni offers a plethora of activities for visitors to enjoy. Located on the western border of French Guiana, this charming town is known for its rich history and stunning natural beauty. Here are some things to do in Saint Laurent du Maroni:
1. Explore the Camp de la Transportation: This former penal colony is a must-visit attraction in Saint Laurent du Maroni. Discover the dark history of the prison and learn about the lives of the prisoners who were once held here.
2. Visit the Saint-Joseph Church: This beautiful church is a significant landmark in the town. Admire its stunning architecture and explore its interior, which is adorned with intricate artwork and religious artifacts.
3. Take a boat tour on the Maroni River: The Maroni River is a major waterway in French Guiana, and taking a boat tour is a fantastic way to experience the region's natural beauty. Cruise along the river, enjoy the scenic views, and spot wildlife such as birds, monkeys, and caimans.
4. Visit the Maison du Patrimoine: This museum showcases the cultural heritage of Saint Laurent du Maroni and French Guiana. Learn about the indigenous cultures, colonial history, and the region's natural environment through informative exhibits and displays.
5. Explore the Jardin Botanique de Saint Laurent du Maroni: This botanical garden is a peaceful oasis in the heart of the town. Stroll through the well-maintained gardens, admire the diverse plant species, and relax in the tranquil surroundings.
6. Discover the local cuisine: Saint Laurent du Maroni offers a variety of culinary delights influenced by its multicultural population. Sample traditional Creole dishes, fresh seafood, and exotic fruits at local restaurants and food stalls.
7. Take a day trip to the Maripasoula Village: Located a short distance from Saint Laurent du Maroni, Maripasoula Village is a picturesque settlement surrounded by lush rainforests. Embark on a guided tour to explore the village, hike through the pristine forests, and learn about the indigenous communities that call this area home.
Tours And Activities In Saint Laurent du Maroni
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Saint Laurent du Maroni at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Saint Laurent du Maroni
The best time to visit Saint Laurent du Maroni in French Guiana is during the dry season, which runs from August to December. During this time, the weather is warm and sunny, with lower chances of rainfall. This makes it ideal for outdoor activities and exploring the town's historical sites, such as the Saint-Joseph Church and the Camp de la Transportation. However, it's important to note that French Guiana experiences a tropical climate, so humidity and mosquitoes can still be present even during the dry season. It's recommended to bring light and breathable clothing, as well as insect repellent.
Flight Calendar For Saint Laurent du Maroni
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Saint Laurent du Maroni.
Best Hotels To Stay In Saint Laurent du Maroni
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Saint Laurent du Maroni's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Saint Laurent du Maroni
Saint Laurent du Maroni is a vibrant city located in French Guiana, offering a range of accommodation options for visitors. Here are some of the best areas to consider for your stay:
1. City Center: The heart of Saint Laurent du Maroni, the city center is a bustling area with a variety of hotels, guesthouses, and apartments. Staying here puts you in close proximity to popular attractions such as the Municipal Market and the Church of Saint Laurent.
2. Rue Madame Paye: This charming street is known for its colonial-style houses that have been converted into cozy bed and breakfasts. It offers a more intimate and authentic experience, with easy access to local shops, restaurants, and the Maroni River.
3. Crique Fouillee: For those seeking a tranquil retreat, Crique Fouillee is an ideal choice. This area is surrounded by lush greenery and offers eco-lodges and cabins nestled in the heart of nature. It's perfect for nature lovers and those looking to disconnect from the hustle and bustle of the city.
4. Camp de la Transportation: History enthusiasts will appreciate staying in this area, which was once a penal colony. Today, it offers unique accommodations such as converted prison cells and historical buildings turned into hotels. It's a fascinating place to learn about the region's past while enjoying comfortable lodging.
5. Plage Les Hattes: If you're a beach lover, Plage Les Hattes is the place to be. This area boasts beautiful sandy beaches and offers beachfront resorts and bungalows. It's a great spot for sunbathing, swimming, and enjoying water sports.
No matter which area you choose, Saint Laurent du Maroni offers a diverse range of accommodations to suit every taste and budget. Whether you prefer a central location, a peaceful retreat, or a beachside getaway, you're sure to find the perfect place to stay in this captivating city.
Hotels Map Of Saint Laurent du Maroni
Easily navigate your Saint Laurent du Maroni journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Saint Laurent du Maroni with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Saint Laurent du Maroni
There are several transportation options to Saint Laurent du Maroni.
1. By Air: The nearest international airport is Cayenne - Felix Eboue Airport (CAY), located in Cayenne, the capital of French Guiana. From there, you can take a domestic flight to Saint Laurent du Maroni Airport (LDX), which is about a 45-minute flight.
2. By Road: If you are already in French Guiana or neighboring countries, you can reach Saint Laurent du Maroni by road. There are highways connecting Saint Laurent du Maroni to Cayenne and other major cities in French Guiana. The journey by road can take around 3-4 hours, depending on the starting point.
3. By River: Another unique transportation option is to travel to Saint Laurent du Maroni by river. The Maroni River, which forms the border between French Guiana and Suriname, is navigable and offers boat services. You can take a boat from Albina in Suriname to Saint Laurent du Maroni, which takes approximately 1-2 hours.
It is recommended to check the availability and schedules of transportation options before planning your trip to Saint Laurent du Maroni.
Rent A Car In Saint Laurent du Maroni
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Saint Laurent du Maroni.
Nearby Destinantion From Saint Laurent du Maroni
1. Cayenne: The capital city of French Guiana, known for its vibrant culture and colonial architecture.
2. Kourou: Home to the Guiana Space Centre, a major spaceport for European space missions.
3. Mana: A small town surrounded by lush rainforests, offering opportunities for hiking and wildlife spotting.
4. Saint-Georges: A picturesque village located on the Maroni River, known for its traditional Amerindian culture.
5. Apatou: A riverside town famous for its annual canoe race and traditional Maroon festivities.
6. Grand-Santi: A remote village nestled in the heart of the Amazon rainforest, offering a unique experience of indigenous culture.
7. Iracoubo: Known for its historic church, which is one of the oldest wooden buildings in French Guiana.
8. Awala-Yalimapo: A coastal village renowned for its sea turtle nesting sites and beautiful beaches.
9. Sinnamary: A charming town with a rich history, featuring colonial ruins and a vibrant local market.
10. Roura: Surrounded by pristine nature, this town is a gateway to the Amazon rainforest and offers various eco-tourism activities.