Fun Things to Do in Aachen | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Aachen! Located in the western part of the country, Aachen is a charming city that seamlessly blends its rich history with a vibrant modern atmosphere. Known for its stunning architecture, Aachen is home to the iconic Aachen Cathedral, a UNESCO World Heritage Site that dates back to the 8th century. This magnificent cathedral is not only a place of worship but also houses the Palatine Chapel, which was the coronation site of German kings for centuries. Additionally, Aachen is famous for its thermal springs, making it a popular destination for those seeking relaxation and rejuvenation. With its picturesque streets, lively markets, and delicious local cuisine, Aachen offers a unique and unforgettable travel experience.
Aachen Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Aachen for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Aachen in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Aachen Trip
Planning a trip to Aachen on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Aachen
Aachen Travel Guide
Quick overview of Aachen with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Aachen
There are several things to do in Aachen that are worth exploring.
One of the main attractions in Aachen is the Aachen Cathedral, also known as the Imperial Cathedral. This stunning architectural masterpiece is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is famous for its mix of different architectural styles. Visitors can admire the intricate mosaics, beautiful stained glass windows, and the Palatine Chapel, which is the oldest part of the cathedral.
Another must-visit place in Aachen is the Elisenbrunnen, a historic neoclassical pavilion located in the city center. This iconic structure is known for its healing thermal waters and is a popular spot for locals and tourists alike. Visitors can enjoy a relaxing stroll in the nearby Kurpark, a beautiful park with well-manicured gardens and a tranquil atmosphere.
For history enthusiasts, a visit to the Aachen Rathaus is highly recommended. This impressive town hall dates back to the 14th century and showcases a blend of Gothic and Renaissance architectural styles. Inside, visitors can explore the magnificent Coronation Hall, where German kings were once crowned.
Art lovers should not miss the opportunity to visit the Suermondt-Ludwig-Museum. This museum houses an extensive collection of European art, including works by famous artists such as Rubens, Rembrandt, and Monet. The museum also features a beautiful sculpture garden, providing a serene setting to appreciate art.
Additionally, Aachen is known for its thermal baths. The Carolus Thermen is a popular wellness center where visitors can relax in various pools, saunas, and steam rooms. This is the perfect place to unwind and rejuvenate after a day of exploring the city.
Lastly, Aachen is famous for its Christmas market. During the holiday season, the city transforms into a winter wonderland with festive decorations, twinkling lights, and numerous stalls selling traditional crafts and delicious treats. The market is a great place to experience the holiday spirit and indulge in some local delicacies.
In summary, Aachen offers a range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. From exploring the historic Aachen Cathedral and Rathaus to relaxing in the thermal baths and experiencing the festive Christmas market, there is something for everyone in this charming city.
Tours And Activities In Aachen
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Aachen at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Aachen
The best time to visit Aachen is during the spring and summer months, from April to September. During this time, the weather is mild and pleasant, with average temperatures ranging from 10°C to 25°C (50°F to 77°F). The spring months of April and May are particularly beautiful, with blooming flowers and green landscapes. Summer brings warmer temperatures and longer days, making it ideal for exploring the city's outdoor attractions and historic sites. Additionally, Aachen hosts several festivals and events during these months, such as the Aachen Cathedral Festival and the Aachen Christmas Market. However, it is important to note that tourist crowds can be higher during the summer months, so it is advisable to book accommodations and attractions in advance.
Flight Calendar For Aachen
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Aachen.
Best Hotels To Stay In Aachen
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Aachen's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Aachen
Aachen offers several great areas for accommodation.
Aachen-Mitte is the city center and is a popular choice for tourists and business travelers. It is home to many historical landmarks such as the Aachen Cathedral and the Elisenbrunnen. The area is bustling with shops, restaurants, and cafes, making it a convenient and vibrant place to stay.
Burtscheid is a charming neighborhood known for its thermal baths and spa facilities. It offers a more relaxed and tranquil atmosphere compared to the city center. Visitors can enjoy the beautiful parks and gardens, as well as the historic Burtscheid Abbey. This area is perfect for those seeking a peaceful retreat.
Laurensberg is a residential area located on the outskirts of Aachen. It is known for its green spaces and quiet streets, making it an ideal choice for families or those who prefer a more suburban setting. The area offers easy access to nature reserves and hiking trails, providing opportunities for outdoor activities.
Brand is another popular area for accommodation in Aachen. It is located in the western part of the city and offers a mix of residential and commercial spaces. Brand is known for its modern architecture and shopping centers. It is well-connected to the city center by public transportation, making it a convenient choice for both leisure and business travelers.
Overall, Aachen offers a variety of areas for accommodation, each with its own unique charm and advantages. Whether you prefer the bustling city center, the peaceful suburbs, or the modern neighborhoods, there is something for everyone in Aachen.
Hotels Map Of Aachen
Easily navigate your Aachen journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Aachen with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Aachen
There are several transportation options to get to Aachen:
1. By plane: The nearest airport to Aachen is Maastricht Aachen Airport (MST), which is located in the Netherlands. From the airport, you can take a taxi or a bus to Aachen.
2. By train: Aachen has a well-connected train station with regular services from major cities in Germany and neighboring countries. You can check the train schedules and book tickets online or at the station.
3. By bus: There are also bus services that connect Aachen with other cities in Germany and Europe. You can check the schedules and book tickets online or at the bus station.
4. By car: Aachen is easily accessible by car, with good road connections from major cities in Germany and neighboring countries. You can use GPS or online maps to plan your route.
5. By bike: Aachen is a bike-friendly city, and if you are in the nearby area, you can consider cycling to Aachen. There are bike paths and rental services available in the city.
Once you arrive in Aachen, you can use public transportation, such as buses and trams, to get around the city.
Rent A Car In Aachen
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Aachen.
Nearby Destinantion From Aachen
1. Cologne: Known for its stunning cathedral and vibrant nightlife.
2. Dusseldorf: A modern city with a thriving art scene and luxury shopping.
3. Maastricht: A charming Dutch town famous for its historic architecture and lively cultural events.
4. Liege: A bustling Belgian city renowned for its medieval old town and delicious waffles.
5. Eupen: A picturesque town nestled in the Belgian Ardennes, offering beautiful nature trails and a tranquil atmosphere.
6. Vaals: Home to the famous Drielandenpunt, where the borders of Germany, and the Netherlands meet.
7. Heerlen: A former mining town that has transformed into a vibrant cultural hub, hosting various festivals and events.
8. Roetgen: Surrounded by lush forests, this small German village is perfect for outdoor enthusiasts and nature lovers.
9. Geilenkirchen: Known for its NATO Air Base, this town offers a mix of historical sites and modern amenities.
10. Herzogenrath: A border town with the Netherlands, offering a blend of German and Dutch influences and a charming town center.