Fun Things to Do in Erfurt | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Erfurt! Located in the heart of Thuringia, this charming city is a hidden gem waiting to be explored. With its rich history dating back over a thousand years, Erfurt offers a unique blend of medieval architecture, vibrant cultural scene, and picturesque landscapes. As you wander through the cobblestone streets, you'll be captivated by the stunning sights such as the iconic Erfurt Cathedral, the imposing Kramerbrucke bridge, and the enchanting Old Town Square. Don't miss the opportunity to visit the Augustinian Monastery, where Martin Luther once lived, or to explore the lush parks and gardens that surround the city. Whether you're a history enthusiast, a nature lover, or simply seeking a peaceful getaway, Erfurt has something to offer for everyone. So pack your bags and get ready to embark on an unforgettable journey to this captivating German city.
Erfurt Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Erfurt for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Erfurt in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Erfurt Trip
Planning a trip to Erfurt on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Erfurt
Erfurt Travel Guide
Quick overview of Erfurt with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Erfurt
Erfurt offers a variety of things to do for visitors. One of the main attractions in Erfurt is the Erfurt Cathedral, also known as St. Mary's Cathedral. This impressive Gothic structure is a must-visit for history and architecture enthusiasts. Inside the cathedral, visitors can admire the stunning stained glass windows and the famous Maria Gloriosa bell, which is the largest medieval free-swinging bell in the world.
Another highlight of Erfurt is the Kramerbrucke, a unique bridge lined with half-timbered houses. This iconic landmark is one of the few inhabited bridges in Europe and offers a charming atmosphere. Visitors can explore the shops and galleries located on the bridge and enjoy the scenic views of the Gera River.
For those interested in history, a visit to the Erfurt Old Town is a must. The medieval architecture and well-preserved buildings create a picturesque setting. The Merchant's Bridge, also known as the Malerbrucke, is another notable attraction in the Old Town. This stone bridge dates back to the 14th century and provides a great spot for photography.
Nature lovers can explore the Egapark Erfurt, a beautiful park spanning over 36 hectares. This botanical garden features a variety of plants, including roses, orchids, and tropical species. The park also offers playgrounds, picnic areas, and walking trails, making it a great place for families to spend a day.
Art enthusiasts should not miss the Angermuseum Erfurt, which houses a diverse collection of art from the Middle Ages to the present day. The museum showcases paintings, sculptures, and decorative arts from various periods, providing a comprehensive overview of art history.
Lastly, food lovers can indulge in the local cuisine by visiting the Erfurt Market Square. This bustling square is home to the weekly farmers' market, where visitors can sample fresh produce, local delicacies, and regional specialties. The market also hosts various festivals and events, adding to the vibrant atmosphere of Erfurt.
Tours And Activities In Erfurt
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Erfurt at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Erfurt
The best time to visit Erfurt is during the spring and summer months. The weather is mild and pleasant during this time, with average temperatures ranging from 15 to 25 degrees Celsius. Additionally, many outdoor events and festivals take place in Erfurt during the spring and summer, such as the Erfurt Cathedral Steps Festival and the Ega Park Flower Festival. Tourist attractions in Erfurt, such as the Kramerbrucke and the Erfurt Cathedral, are also more accessible and enjoyable during these months. However, it is important to note that summer can be a peak tourist season, so expect larger crowds and higher prices for accommodations.
Flight Calendar For Erfurt
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Erfurt.
Best Hotels To Stay In Erfurt
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Erfurt's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Erfurt
Erfurt offers several great areas for accommodation. Here are a few of the best areas to consider:
1. Altstadt: The historic center of Erfurt, Altstadt, is a charming area with cobblestone streets and well-preserved medieval buildings. It is home to many tourist attractions, including the famous Erfurt Cathedral and the Kramerbrucke, a bridge lined with half-timbered houses. Staying in Altstadt allows easy access to the city's main sights and a vibrant atmosphere with numerous cafes, restaurants, and shops.
2. Linderbach: Located in the southern part of Erfurt, Linderbach is a peaceful residential area known for its green spaces and parks. It offers a more tranquil setting away from the hustle and bustle of the city center. Linderbach is well-connected to the rest of Erfurt by public transportation, making it a convenient choice for those who prefer a quieter environment.
3. Johannesplatz: Situated in the eastern part of Erfurt, Johannesplatz is a popular residential area known for its modern architecture and spacious apartments. It is home to the University of Erfurt, making it a vibrant neighborhood with a youthful atmosphere. Johannesplatz offers a range of amenities, including supermarkets, cafes, and recreational facilities, making it an attractive option for students and young professionals.
4. Roter Berg: Roter Berg is a residential area located on a hill in the western part of Erfurt. It offers stunning views of the city and is known for its well-maintained housing complexes and green spaces. Roter Berg is a family-friendly neighborhood with schools, playgrounds, and sports facilities. It is also conveniently located near shopping centers and has good transportation links to the city center.
5. Krampfervorstadt: Situated just outside the Altstadt, Krampfervorstadt is a trendy neighborhood known for its vibrant nightlife and cultural scene. It is home to numerous bars, clubs, and theaters, making it a popular choice for young people and those looking for entertainment options. Krampfervorstadt also offers a variety of accommodation options, including apartments and guesthouses.
Overall, Erfurt offers a diverse range of areas for accommodation, each with its own unique charm and advantages. Whether you prefer the historic center, a peaceful residential area, or a lively neighborhood, there is something for everyone in this beautiful German city.
Hotels Map Of Erfurt
Easily navigate your Erfurt journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Erfurt with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Erfurt
There are several transportation options to get to Erfurt:
1. By plane: Erfurt-Weimar Airport (ERF) is the closest airport to Erfurt. From there, you can take a taxi or public transportation to reach your destination in the city.
2. By train: Erfurt is well-connected by train to major cities in Germany and Europe. You can take a train from cities like Berlin, Frankfurt, Munich, or Leipzig to reach Erfurt.
3. By bus: There are also bus services that operate to and from Erfurt. You can check for bus routes and schedules from your location.
4. By car: If you prefer to drive, you can rent a car and take the highway to Erfurt. The city is easily accessible by road.
Once you arrive in Erfurt, you can use public transportation such as buses and trams to get around the city.
Rent A Car In Erfurt
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Erfurt.
Nearby Destinantion From Erfurt
1. Weimar: Known for its rich cultural heritage and historical significance, Weimar is home to numerous UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
2. Jena: A vibrant university town famous for its cutting-edge research and innovation in science and technology.
3. Gotha: A charming town with a well-preserved medieval old town and a stunning baroque palace.
4. Eisenach: The birthplace of Johann Sebastian Bach and home to the magnificent Wartburg Castle.
5. Arnstadt: A picturesque town with half-timbered houses and a beautiful medieval market square.
6. Nordhausen: A historic city nestled in the Harz Mountains, offering stunning views and a rich mining history.
7. Muhlhausen: Known for its well-preserved city walls and impressive Gothic architecture, Muhlhausen is a hidden gem in Thuringia.
8. Bad Langensalza: A spa town renowned for its beautiful gardens, therapeutic saltwater springs, and relaxing atmosphere.
9. Sommerda: A small town with a charming historic center and a rich agricultural heritage.
10. Gera: A cultural hub with a vibrant theater scene, art galleries, and a thriving music and film industry.