Frequently Asked Questions About Calabria
When is the best time to travel to Calabria?
Calabria is one of the most beautiful regions in Italy and it is a great destination year-round. The best time to visit Calabria depends on what kind of activities you would like to experience during your trip. If you are looking for a beach vacation, then summer months from June through August are ideal since temperatures are warm and the beaches are at their best. In addition, this is when the most nightlife and attractions are available in Calabria. If you’re looking for a more relaxed vacation or if you’d like to explore the region’s culture and heritage, then springtime from March through May or fall from September through October may be better. The temperatures during these times are milder and make it easier to explore Calabria’s attractions without feeling too hot or cold. During winter months from December through February, while the temperature can be chilly, you will find fewer crowds and lower prices on lodging and other activities. Regardless of when you go to Calabria, you are sure to enjoy its stunning scenery, Mediterranean climate and world-famous cuisine.
What are popular activities to do in Calabria?
The best things to do in Calabria include:
1. Exploring the historical sites and landmarks like the Crotone Castle,Palazzo dei Bruzi and Piazza del Duomo.
2. Visiting some of the most stunning beaches in Italy, such as those on the Ionian coast or Tropea.
3. Enjoying some of the best cuisine in Italy with local dishes such as nduja, polipo alla griglia and imqaret.
4. Participating in outdoor activities like mountain biking, rafting and trekking around the Pollino National Park or Sila National Park.
5. Visiting some of the world’s oldest wineries such as the Tenuta Vigna Barone and Cantine Ippolito.
6. Relaxing in one of Calabria’s mineral springs or spas, like Bagno di Romagna.
7. Shopping for local crafts and souvenirs at markets like Mercato delle Erbe in Catanzaro.
8. Taking a day trip to the nearby Aeolian Islands or Sicily for more stunning beaches and unforgettable experiences.
What are the best places to visit in Calabria?
The best places to visit in Calabria include:
1. The city of Catanzaro, the capital of Calabria and home to numerous monuments and attractions including Corso Mazzini and Piazza del Duomo.
2. Tropea, a seaside town known for its stunning beaches like Spiaggia delle Due Sorelle and Spiaggia della Rotonda.
3. Reggio Calabria, the largest city in Calabria, known for its archaeological sites like Riace Bronzes and Aragonese Castle.
4. Crotone, an ancient Greek colony with attractions like the Crotone Castle and nearby beaches like Isola di Capo Rizzuto.
5. Scalea, a charming seaside town known for its hiking trails and beach resorts like Playa del Sol.
6. Cosenza, the second largest city in Calabria with attractions such as Piazza della Provenzano and Teatro Morelli.
7. Aspromonte National Park, a protected area known for its stunning landscapes and hikes to the top of Mount Consolino.
8. Locri Epizephiri, an ancient Greek town with archaeological sites like the Temple of Demeter Malophoros and Acropolis of Krimisa.