Fun Things to Do in Sendai | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Sendai! Located in the northeastern part of the country, Sendai is the capital city of Miyagi Prefecture and is known for its rich history, vibrant culture, and stunning natural beauty. With a population of over one million people, Sendai offers a perfect blend of modern amenities and traditional charm. The city is famous for its picturesque landscapes, including the iconic Matsushima Bay, which is considered one of Japan's three most scenic views. Additionally, Sendai is home to numerous historical sites, such as the Aoba Castle, where visitors can immerse themselves in the region's fascinating past. Whether you're interested in exploring ancient landmarks, indulging in delicious local cuisine, or simply enjoying the serene beauty of nature, Sendai has something to offer for every traveler.
Sendai Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Sendai for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Sendai in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Sendai Trip
Planning a trip to Sendai on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Sendai
Sendai Travel Guide
Quick overview of Sendai with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Sendai
Sendai is a vibrant city with a rich cultural heritage and plenty of exciting activities to offer. Here are some things to do in Sendai:
1. Visit the historic Sendai Castle: Explore the ruins of this iconic castle, which was built in the 17th century and offers stunning panoramic views of the city.
2. Explore the Zuihoden Mausoleum: This beautifully decorated mausoleum is the final resting place of Date Masamune, a famous samurai lord. Admire the intricate woodwork and learn about the region's history.
3. Stroll through the picturesque Jozenji-dori Avenue: This tree-lined boulevard is a popular spot for locals and tourists alike. Enjoy a leisurely walk, browse the shops, and try some local delicacies.
4. Discover the beauty of Matsushima Bay: Take a short trip from Sendai to Matsushima Bay, known for its scenic islands covered in pine trees. Enjoy a boat ride and soak in the breathtaking views.
5. Visit the Sendai City Museum: Learn about the city's history, art, and culture at this fascinating museum. It houses a diverse collection of artifacts and exhibits that showcase Sendai's heritage.
6. Experience the vibrant nightlife in Kokubuncho: This entertainment district is filled with bars, clubs, and restaurants. Enjoy a night out, try local cuisine, and immerse yourself in the lively atmosphere.
7. Explore the Aoba-dori Avenue: This bustling street is lined with shops, cafes, and restaurants. It's a great place to shop for souvenirs, sample local street food, and experience the city's vibrant atmosphere.
8. Visit the Sendai Mediatheque: This futuristic building is a hub for art, culture, and technology. Explore the various exhibitions, attend events, and enjoy the unique architectural design.
9. Take a relaxing dip in Akiu Onsen: Just outside Sendai, Akiu Onsen is a hot spring resort known for its therapeutic waters. Unwind in one of the many traditional Japanese baths and enjoy the tranquil surroundings.
10. Enjoy seasonal festivals: Sendai hosts several festivals throughout the year, including the Tanabata Festival and the Sendai Pageant of Starlight. These events showcase traditional performances, vibrant decorations, and delicious food.
Tours And Activities In Sendai
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Sendai at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Sendai
The best time to visit Sendai is during the spring and autumn seasons. In spring, which is from March to May, the city is adorned with beautiful cherry blossoms, creating a picturesque and romantic atmosphere. The autumn season, from September to November, offers stunning foliage as the leaves change color, providing a breathtaking backdrop for exploring the city. Additionally, the weather during these seasons is mild and pleasant, making it ideal for outdoor activities and sightseeing. It is important to note that Sendai can experience heavy snowfall during the winter months, so it is best to avoid visiting during this time if you are not a fan of cold weather.
Flight Calendar For Sendai
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Sendai.
Best Hotels To Stay In Sendai
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Sendai's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Sendai
Sendai offers a variety of great areas for accommodation. Here are a few options:
1. Aoba Ward: Located in the heart of Sendai, Aoba Ward is known for its vibrant atmosphere and convenient access to shopping, dining, and entertainment options. It is home to attractions such as the Zuihoden Mausoleum and Sendai City Museum. Accommodation options in this area range from luxury hotels to budget-friendly guesthouses.
2. Miyagino Ward: Situated in the eastern part of Sendai, Miyagino Ward is a popular choice for those seeking a peaceful and scenic environment. It offers stunning views of the Zao Mountain Range and is close to attractions like the Miyagi Baseball Stadium and Miyagi Museum of Art. Visitors can find a range of accommodation options, including traditional Japanese inns and modern hotels.
3. Taihaku Ward: Known for its rich history and cultural heritage, Taihaku Ward is a great area for those interested in exploring Sendai's past. It is home to the famous Sendai Castle Ruins and the Osaki Hachimangu Shrine. Accommodation options in this area include traditional ryokans and guesthouses, allowing visitors to experience authentic Japanese hospitality.
4. Izumi Ward: Located in the southern part of Sendai, Izumi Ward offers a more suburban and residential atmosphere. It is a great choice for those looking for a quieter stay while still having easy access to the city center. The area is home to the Sendai Umino-Mori Aquarium and the Izumi-Chuo Park. Accommodation options in Izumi Ward range from budget-friendly hotels to serviced apartments.
Overall, Sendai offers a diverse range of accommodation options in various areas, catering to different preferences and interests. Whether you prefer a bustling city center or a tranquil suburban environment, there is something for everyone in Sendai.
Hotels Map Of Sendai
Easily navigate your Sendai journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Sendai with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Sendai
There are several transportation options to Sendai. You can fly into Sendai Airport, which has domestic and international flights. From the airport, you can take a taxi, bus, or train to the city center. Alternatively, you can take a train to Sendai Station from other cities in Japan, as Sendai is well-connected by rail. Once in Sendai, you can get around the city using the subway, buses, taxis, or by walking.
Rent A Car In Sendai
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Sendai.
Nearby Destinantion From Sendai
1. Miyagi: Known for its beautiful nature and hot springs.
2. Yamagata: A historic city famous for its cherry blossoms and traditional festivals.
3. Fukushima: Home to stunning landscapes, including the picturesque Lake Inawashiro.
4. Ishinomaki: A coastal town with a rich fishing heritage and delicious seafood.
5. Kesennuma: Renowned for its fresh seafood markets and scenic coastal views.
6. Yonezawa: Famous for its premium beef, Yonezawa is a must-visit for food enthusiasts.
7. Matsushima: A picturesque bay dotted with numerous small islands and ancient temples.
8. Hiraizumi: A UNESCO World Heritage Site, known for its historic temples and gardens.
9. Aizuwakamatsu: A castle town with a samurai history and beautiful cherry blossoms.
10. Sendai: The largest city in the Tohoku region, known for its vibrant culture, shopping, and nightlife.