Fun Things to Do in Ajloun | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Ajloun Travel Guide
Quick overview of Ajloun with essential tips and insights. Jump to any section.
Welcome to Ajloun! Nestled in the northern part of the country, Ajloun is a hidden gem that offers a unique and authentic travel experience. Known for its rich history, stunning landscapes, and warm hospitality, this small town is a must-visit destination for those seeking to explore the lesser-known wonders of Jordan. Ajloun is most famous for its imposing Ajloun Castle, a 12th-century fortress that offers panoramic views of the surrounding countryside. Additionally, nature enthusiasts will be delighted by the Ajloun Forest Reserve, a lush green oasis that is home to a diverse range of flora and fauna. Whether you're a history buff, an adventure seeker, or simply looking to immerse yourself in the local culture, Ajloun has something to offer for everyone. So pack your bags and get ready to embark on an unforgettable journey to this enchanting destination.
Ajloun Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Ajloun for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Ajloun in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Things To Do In Ajloun
Ajloun is a beautiful city located in the northern part of the country. It is known for its rich history and stunning natural landscapes. Here are some things to do in Ajloun:
1. Visit Ajloun Castle: One of the main attractions in Ajloun is the Ajloun Castle, also known as Qal'at Ar-Rabad. This 12th-century fortress offers breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside and provides a glimpse into the region's medieval history.
2. Explore Ajloun Forest Reserve: Nature lovers should not miss the opportunity to visit the Ajloun Forest Reserve. This protected area is home to diverse flora and fauna, including oak trees, wild boars, and various bird species. You can enjoy hiking trails, picnic areas, and even camping facilities within the reserve.
3. Discover Ajloun Souq: Immerse yourself in the local culture by visiting Ajloun Souq. This bustling market is a great place to shop for traditional handicrafts, spices, and souvenirs. You can also try delicious local street food and interact with friendly locals.
4. Hike in the Ajloun Mountains: Ajloun is surrounded by picturesque mountains, offering excellent opportunities for hiking enthusiasts. You can explore various trails that lead to stunning viewpoints, hidden waterfalls, and ancient ruins. Don't forget to bring your camera to capture the breathtaking scenery.
5. Visit Mar Elias Church: Mar Elias Church is a significant religious site in Ajloun. This Greek Orthodox church dates back to the 6th century and is known for its beautiful mosaics and religious artifacts. Visitors can admire the stunning architecture and learn about the region's religious heritage.
6. Experience Ajloun's Local Cuisine: Ajloun is famous for its delicious traditional Jordanian cuisine. Make sure to try local dishes such as mansaf (a traditional lamb dish), falafel, and kunafa (a sweet pastry). You can find numerous restaurants and cafes in the city that offer authentic Jordanian flavors.
7. Attend Ajloun Cultural Festival: If you happen to visit Ajloun during the annual Ajloun Cultural Festival, you're in for a treat. This vibrant event showcases traditional music, dance performances, art exhibitions, and cultural activities. It's a great opportunity to immerse yourself in the local traditions and celebrations.
Tours And Activities In Ajloun
Check out these Top-Rated Tours and Activities in Ajloun. Read real reviews and highlights.
Best Time To Visit Ajloun
The best time to visit Ajloun is during the spring (March to May) and autumn (September to November) seasons. During these months, the weather is mild and pleasant, making it ideal for exploring the historical sites and natural landscapes in the area. The summer months (June to August) can be hot and dry, with temperatures reaching highs of around 35°C (95°F). Winter (December to February) can be chilly and rainy, but it is still possible to visit during this time if you are prepared for cooler temperatures. Overall, the spring and autumn seasons offer the best weather conditions for enjoying all that Ajloun has to offer.
Flight Calendar For Ajloun
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Ajloun.
Best Areas To Stay In Ajloun
Ajloun offers several great areas for accommodation.
1. Ajloun Castle: Located in the heart of Ajloun, this area is perfect for history enthusiasts. The Ajloun Castle, a 12th-century fortress, is the main attraction here. Staying in this area allows you to explore the castle and enjoy stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
2. Ajloun Forest Reserve: Nature lovers will find the Ajloun Forest Reserve an ideal place to stay. This area is known for its lush greenery, diverse wildlife, and hiking trails. Accommodation options here range from eco-lodges to camping sites, providing a unique experience close to nature.
3. Ajloun City Center: If you prefer a more urban setting, the Ajloun City Center is the place to be. Here, you'll find a range of hotels, guesthouses, and restaurants. The city center offers easy access to local markets, shops, and cultural attractions, making it a convenient choice for travelers.
4. Ajloun Olive Farms: For a tranquil and authentic experience, consider staying in one of the olive farms surrounding Ajloun. These farms offer a peaceful retreat amidst olive groves and provide a glimpse into the local agricultural lifestyle. Many farms also offer farm-to-table dining experiences, allowing you to savor delicious traditional cuisine.
Overall, Ajloun has diverse accommodation options catering to different preferences. Whether you're interested in history, nature, city life, or a rural escape, you'll find a suitable area to stay in Ajloun.
Hotels Map Of Ajloun
All-in-one Map to find Best Hotels, Vacation Rentals, Tours, Activities and Restaurants in Ajloun.
Transportation To Ajloun
There are several transportation options to Ajloun.
1. Taxi: You can hire a taxi from Amman or any other major city in Jordan to Ajloun. Taxis are readily available and can be found at taxi stands or hailed on the street.
2. Bus: There are regular bus services from Amman to Ajloun. You can take a public bus from the Abdali bus station in Amman to Ajloun. The journey takes approximately 1-2 hours depending on traffic.
3. Private car: If you have access to a private car, you can drive to Ajloun. The drive from Amman to Ajloun takes around 1 hour.
4. Shared taxi: Shared taxis, also known as "service taxis" or "servees," are a common mode of transportation in Jordan. You can find shared taxis at designated taxi stands or by asking locals. These taxis follow specific routes and can be a more affordable option compared to private taxis.
5. Tourist bus: Some tour operators offer guided tours to Ajloun from Amman or other major cities in Jordan. These tours usually include transportation, a guide, and visits to other attractions in the area.
It is recommended to check the schedules and availability of transportation options before your trip to ensure a smooth journey to Ajloun.
Nearby Destination From Ajloun
1. Jerash: Known for its well-preserved Roman ruins and ancient architecture.
2. Irbid: A vibrant university city with a rich history and bustling markets.
3. Amman: The capital city of Jordan, offering a blend of modernity and ancient landmarks.
4. Madaba: Famous for its Byzantine and Umayyad mosaics, including the renowned Madaba Map.
5. Salt: A charming town known for its Ottoman-era architecture and traditional Jordanian culture.
6. Umm Qais: Home to impressive Roman ruins and breathtaking views of the Sea of Galilee and Golan Heights.
7. Mafraq: A gateway to the eastern desert and the Zaatari Refugee Camp, one of the largest in the world.
8. Zarqa: Jordan's second-largest city, known for its industrial zones and vibrant street markets.
9. Karak: A historic city with a magnificent Crusader castle perched on a hilltop.
10. Ma'an: A gateway to the stunning landscapes of Wadi Rum and the ancient city of Petra.