Fun Things to Do in Jerash | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Jerash! Located just 48 kilometers north of the capital city of Amman, Jerash is a captivating archaeological site that offers a glimpse into the ancient Roman Empire. Known as the "Pompeii of the East," this well-preserved city boasts an array of impressive ruins, including the grand Oval Plaza, the towering Hadrian's Arch, and the stunning Temple of Artemis. As you wander through the ancient streets, you'll be transported back in time, marveling at the intricate mosaics, towering columns, and well-preserved theaters. Jerash is not only a paradise for history enthusiasts, but also a vibrant cultural hub, hosting an annual Jerash Festival that showcases traditional music, dance, and theater performances. So, get ready to immerse yourself in the rich history and vibrant culture of Jerash!
Jerash Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Jerash for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Jerash in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Jerash Trip
Planning a trip to Jerash on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Jerash
Jerash Travel Guide
Quick overview of Jerash with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Jerash
Jerash is a city rich in history and culture, offering a plethora of activities for visitors to enjoy. Jerash is known for its well-preserved Roman ruins, making it a must-visit destination for history enthusiasts. Here are some things to do in Jerash:
1. Explore the ancient ruins: Begin your visit by exploring the impressive Roman ruins that Jerash is famous for. The Jerash Archaeological Site is home to well-preserved structures such as the Hadrian's Arch, the Oval Plaza, the Hippodrome, and the Temple of Artemis. Take a guided tour or wander through the ruins at your own pace to fully appreciate the historical significance of this site.
2. Attend the Jerash Festival: If you happen to visit Jerash during the Jerash Festival, you're in for a treat. This annual cultural event showcases a variety of performances, including music, dance, theater, and poetry. It's a fantastic opportunity to immerse yourself in Jordanian culture and witness traditional performances by local artists.
3. Visit the Jerash Archaeological Museum: Located within the archaeological site, the Jerash Archaeological Museum houses a collection of artifacts discovered during excavations in the area. The museum provides valuable insights into the history and daily life of the ancient city of Jerash, displaying items such as pottery, statues, and mosaics.
4. Take a stroll through the Jerash Souk: Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of the Jerash Souk, a traditional market where you can find a wide range of goods, including spices, textiles, handicrafts, and souvenirs. Engage in some bargaining and enjoy the bustling ambiance as you explore the various stalls and shops.
5. Experience Roman chariot racing: For a unique and thrilling experience, consider watching a Roman chariot racing demonstration at the Hippodrome. This ancient sport was popular during Roman times, and you can witness a reenactment of this exciting event, complete with chariots and skilled riders.
6. Enjoy traditional Jordanian cuisine: Indulge in the flavors of Jordan by trying some traditional dishes in one of the local restaurants or cafes.
Tours And Activities In Jerash
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Jerash at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Jerash
The best time to visit Jerash is during the spring (March to May) and fall (September to November) seasons. During these months, the weather is mild and pleasant, making it ideal for exploring the ancient ruins and outdoor attractions in Jerash. The summer months (June to August) can be extremely hot, with temperatures reaching highs of around 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit). It is advisable to avoid visiting during this time, as the heat can make sightseeing uncomfortable. The winter months (December to February) can be chilly, with occasional rainfall. However, if you don't mind the cooler temperatures, visiting during this time can offer a more peaceful and less crowded experience. Overall, the spring and fall seasons are the optimal times to visit Jerash.
Flight Calendar For Jerash
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Jerash.
Best Hotels To Stay In Jerash
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Jerash's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Jerash
Jerash offers a variety of accommodation options for visitors. Here are some of the best areas to consider:
1. Downtown Jerash: This area is perfect for those who want to be in the heart of the city. It offers a range of hotels and guesthouses, making it convenient for exploring the nearby attractions such as the ancient Roman ruins and the Jerash Archaeological Museum.
2. Al-Masoudi Street: Located just outside the city center, Al-Masoudi Street is a popular area for accommodation. It is known for its charming boutique hotels and traditional guesthouses, providing a unique and authentic experience for visitors.
3. Al-Jubaiha: Situated on the outskirts of Jerash, Al-Jubaiha is a peaceful residential area that offers a tranquil atmosphere for accommodation. It is a great choice for those who prefer a quieter stay away from the hustle and bustle of the city center.
4. Al-Mazar: If you're looking for a more rural and scenic setting, Al-Mazar is the ideal area for accommodation. Surrounded by beautiful landscapes and greenery, this area offers a range of resorts and lodges that provide a peaceful retreat for visitors.
5. Al-Salt: Located about 30 kilometers from Jerash, Al-Salt is a historic town that offers a unique accommodation experience. It is known for its well-preserved Ottoman-era buildings and charming streets, making it a great choice for those who want to immerse themselves in Jordan's rich history.
Overall, Jerash has a variety of accommodation options in different areas, catering to various preferences and interests. Whether you prefer to stay in the city center, outskirts, or a more rural setting, there is something for everyone in Jerash.
Hotels Map Of Jerash
Easily navigate your Jerash journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Jerash with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Jerash
There are several transportation options to get to Jerash.
1. Taxi: You can hire a taxi from Amman, the capital city of Jordan, to Jerash. The journey takes approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on traffic conditions.
2. Bus: There are regular bus services from Amman to Jerash. You can take a public bus from the Abdali Bus Station in Amman, and the journey usually takes around 1 hour.
3. Private Car: If you have access to a private car, you can drive to Jerash from Amman. The distance between the two cities is approximately 48 kilometers, and the drive takes around 45 minutes to 1 hour.
4. Tourist Shuttle: Many tour operators in Amman offer guided tours to Jerash, including transportation. This option is convenient if you prefer a guided tour and want to learn more about the historical sites in Jerash.
It is recommended to check the schedules and availability of transportation options before your trip to ensure a smooth journey to Jerash.
Rent A Car In Jerash
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Jerash.
Nearby Destinantion From Jerash
1. Amman: The capital city of Jordan, known for its ancient ruins and modern cityscape.
2. Irbid: A vibrant university town with a rich history and bustling markets.
3. Madaba: Famous for its Byzantine and Umayyad mosaics, including the renowned Madaba Map.
4. Ajloun: Home to the impressive Ajloun Castle and surrounded by beautiful forests and hiking trails.
5. Salt: A charming town with well-preserved Ottoman architecture and a vibrant arts scene.
6. Zarqa: Jordan's second-largest city, known for its industrial zones and historical sites.
7. Mafraq: A strategic border town with a diverse population and historical significance.
8. Ma'an: Located near the stunning Wadi Rum desert, offering a gateway to adventure and natural beauty.
9. Karak: Famous for its imposing Crusader castle and panoramic views of the surrounding mountains.
10. Aqaba: Jordan's only coastal city, renowned for its beautiful beaches, coral reefs, and vibrant marine life.