Frequently Asked Questions About Ouzoud
Which time of the year is best to visit Ouzoud?
The best time to visit Ouzoud is from April to late September, when the weather is mild and the days are warm. During this period, temperatures remain between 25°C and 35°C, making it an ideal destination for a summer vacation. This part of Morocco also experiences very little rain during these months, so visitors can enjoy sunny days without worrying about inclement weather. It’s important to note that it can get quite hot in Ouzoud during the peak of summer season (July/August), so it may be best to plan your trip for an earlier or later month for more comfortable temperatures. In general, however, the climate in Ouzoud makes it pleasant and enjoyable year-round.
Where to stay in Ouzoud when visiting?
The best area to stay in Ouzoud is the village of Imouzzer. This charming, traditional Moroccan village has a number of guesthouses and hotels that offer stunning views of the Ouzoud Falls and surrounding nature. Located just minutes away from the falls, this area provides visitors with a peaceful atmosphere and easy access to all the attractions Ouzoud has to offer. Additionally, Imouzzer is known for its delicious food and friendly locals, making it an ideal destination for travelers looking to explore the culture and beauty of Morocco.
What are popular places to visit in Ouzoud?
The popular attractions in Ouzoud include:
1. Ouzoud Falls: The spectacular 110m cascade of the Ouzoud Waterfalls is one of the main draws of the region. Visitors can hike to the top and admire the stunning views from above or take a boat ride along the river below.
2. Imouzzer Village: Situated beside the falls, this traditional Moroccan village offers visitors a chance to explore its narrow cobblestone streets and experience its rich culture.
3. Monkey Valley: A nearby nature reserve, Monkey Valley is home to several species of monkeys that are known to come down to greet tourists. It’s also a great spot for birdwatching, with numerous birds often spotted near the cliffs.
4. Olives Groves: Surrounding Ouzoud are numerous groves of olive trees, which produce some of the finest olives in Morocco. Visitors can take a guided tour of the groves and learn more about how local farmers harvest them.
5. Kasbah Bab Ourika: This mountain fortress offers stunning views over the countryside and provides visitors with an insight into the region’s history and culture.
6. Hammams (traditional steam baths): Relax and unwind in one of the many hammams dotted around Ouzoud, where locals go to cleanse their bodies and souls. These traditional steam baths offer an experience unlike any other.
Which are the popular places to eat food in Ouzoud?
The best places to eat food in Ouzoud include:
1. Restaurant Akarit: Serving up traditional Moroccan fare and some unique dishes, this cozy restaurant has become a popular spot for locals and visitors alike.
2. El Jadida Restaurant: Located in the centre of town, El Jadida is known for its delicious tajine dishes. The restaurant also offers a variety of vegetarian options.
3. La Coulée Verte: This charming establishment serves up a range of French-influenced dishes, as well as freshly prepared pizzas. It’s one of the few eateries that stay open until late in Ouzoud.
4. Cafe Tabchoumte: This charming cafe serves up a range of delicious pastries and coffee. It’s the perfect spot for a mid-morning break or light snack.
5. Chez Fada Restaurant: Overlooking the Ouzoud Falls, Chez Fada offers an unforgettable dining experience. Meals here include freshly caught fish and other traditional Moroccan dishes.
6. Dar Hiba: This highly rated restaurant specializes in Maghreb cuisine made with fresh local ingredients. Perfect for those looking to sample some classic Moroccan fare.
What are popular shopping places in Ouzoud?
The best places to do shopping in Ouzoud include:
1. Souk (traditional market): Located in the centre of town, the Souk offers a variety of traditional items such as handcrafted pottery, local fruits and vegetables, spices, jewellery and clothing.
2. Local Craftsmen: Throughout Ouzoud you’ll find artisans creating unique products from leather goods to carpets. Be sure to get a feel for the culture and shop around for some one-of-a-kind souvenirs.
3. Clothing Shops: If you’re looking for something more modern, there are plenty of shops selling a range of Western clothes and accessories.
4. Grocery Stores/ Supermarkets: There are several small grocery stores and supermarkets located in Ouzoud, offering a variety of food items, toiletries and household goods.
5. Souvenir Shops: As you wander through town, you’ll come across numerous souvenir shops selling a range of items such as postcards, tea sets, traditional Moroccan carpets and paintings.
6. Pharmacies/ Chemists: There are two pharmacies located in Ouzoud where you can pick up medicine or other medical supplies if needed.
What are some of the best nightlife spots in Ouzoud?
Good nightlife options in Ouzoud include:
1. Cafe Azrou: This lively cafe is a great spot to enjoy live music, dance and socialize with locals. It also offers a variety of light snacks and drinks.
2. Le Grand Café d’Ouzoud: Located by the river, this vibrant bar has been serving up delicious cocktails since 1972. Come here for an evening of entertainment and fun.
3. La Plaza Bar: The perfect place to unwind after a long day exploring Ouzoud; this bar serves up some tasty cocktails as well as local beers and spirits.
4. Discotheque du Village: This popular nightspot has something for everyone – from karaoke to live DJs. It’s a great spot for those looking to party the night away.
5. Roof Terrace: Located atop one of the tallest buildings in Ouzoud, this rooftop bar offers stunning views of the lake and surrounding countryside. Enjoy some drinks at sunset or dance until dawn.
6. Night Markets: During the summer months, local vendors set up stalls on the banks of Lake El Mansour selling a variety of snacks and drinks. It’s a great way to experience traditional Moroccan nightlife and socialize with locals.
What are some good day trips from Ouzoud?
The best day trips near Ouzoud include:
1. El Mansour Lake: Take a boat tour around this magnificent lake and explore its hidden coves. Enjoy a picnic lunch or take a dip in the cool, clear waters.
2. Marrakech: Approximately two hours away by car, Marrakech is an ideal destination for those looking to enjoy some shopping, sightseeing and dining. From souks to museums, there’s something for everyone here.
3. Imouzzer du Kandar: Just 40 minutes away from Ouzoud lies this picturesque village set amongst rolling hills and spectacular views of the surrounding countryside. You can spend the day exploring its cobbled streets and enjoying traditional Moroccan cuisine.
4. The Sefrou Waterfalls: This stunning natural attraction is located just fifteen minutes from Ouzoud and offers spectacular views of the cascading waterfalls. You can take a dip in the crystal clear waters or even venture into the caves behind them.
5. Tinmel Mosque: Located in a small village near Marrakech, this beautiful mosque dates back to the 12th century and is an important part of Moroccan history and culture. It’s definitely worth a visit!
6. Ourika Valley: Approximately two hours away by car, this lush valley is home to numerous traditional Berber villages as well as some incredible mountain scenery. A great spot for nature lovers!