Fun Things to Do in Abisko | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Abisko, a hidden gem nestled in the heart of the Arctic Circle. Known for its breathtaking natural beauty and unique geographical location, Abisko offers travelers a truly unforgettable experience. This small village is surrounded by snow-capped mountains, pristine lakes, and vast forests, making it a haven for outdoor enthusiasts and nature lovers. One of the main attractions in Abisko is the world-famous Northern Lights, which can be seen here in all their glory due to the village's clear skies and minimal light pollution. Additionally, Abisko is home to the Abisko National Park, a protected area that boasts an incredible array of flora and fauna, including reindeer and arctic foxes. Whether you're seeking adventure, tranquility, or simply a chance to witness the wonders of nature, Abisko is the perfect destination for your next travel adventure.
Abisko Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Abisko for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Abisko in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Abisko Trip
Planning a trip to Abisko on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Abisko
Abisko Travel Guide
Quick overview of Abisko with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Abisko
Abisko is a beautiful destination that offers a wide range of activities for visitors to enjoy. Located in the northern part of Sweden, Abisko is known for its stunning natural landscapes and unique experiences. Here are some main things to do in Abisko:
1. Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) Viewing: Abisko is one of the best places in the world to witness the mesmerizing Northern Lights. The clear skies and minimal light pollution make it an ideal location for this natural phenomenon. Visitors can join guided tours or venture out on their own to witness this breathtaking spectacle.
2. Hiking in Abisko National Park: Abisko National Park is a hiker's paradise, offering a variety of trails for all levels of experience. The most famous trail is the Kungsleden (King's Trail), a 440-kilometer long-distance hiking route that stretches from Abisko to Hemavan. The park is also home to diverse wildlife and stunning views of mountains, lakes, and glaciers.
3. Dog Sledding: Experience the thrill of dog sledding through the Arctic wilderness. Visitors can join guided tours and learn how to mush their own team of huskies. This activity allows you to immerse yourself in the stunning winter landscapes while enjoying the company of these friendly and energetic dogs.
4. Ice Climbing: For the adventurous souls, Abisko offers the opportunity to try ice climbing. With frozen waterfalls and ice formations, this activity provides a unique and exhilarating experience. Beginners can take lessons from experienced guides to learn the techniques and safety measures required for ice climbing.
5. Cross-Country Skiing: Abisko is a paradise for cross-country skiing enthusiasts. The well-maintained trails and breathtaking scenery make it an ideal destination for this winter sport. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced skier, there are trails suitable for all levels.
6. Samuelsson's Farm: Visit Samuelsson's Farm, a traditional Sami reindeer herding farm, to learn about the indigenous Sami culture and their way of life. Visitors can interact with reindeer, try traditional Sami food, and even go on a reindeer sleigh ride.
7. Ice Fishing: Experience the traditional Swedish pastime of ice fishing. Abisko's frozen lakes offer the perfect opportunity to try your hand at catching fish through a hole in the ice.
Tours And Activities In Abisko
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Abisko at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Abisko
The best time to visit Abisko is during the winter months from December to March. This is when the region experiences its famous Northern Lights phenomenon, with clear skies and long nights providing optimal viewing conditions. Additionally, Abisko is a popular destination for winter sports such as skiing and snowboarding, with well-maintained slopes and a variety of trails for all skill levels. The temperature during this time can be quite cold, ranging from -10°C to -30°C, so it is important to pack appropriate winter clothing and gear. However, the stunning natural beauty and unique experiences offered during this time make it well worth braving the cold.
Flight Calendar For Abisko
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Abisko.
Best Hotels To Stay In Abisko
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Abisko's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Abisko
Abisko is a stunning destination known for its breathtaking natural beauty and outdoor activities. When it comes to accommodation, there are a few areas that stand out as the best options for visitors.
1. Abisko National Park: This area is perfect for nature enthusiasts and adventure seekers. It offers a range of accommodation options, including cozy cabins and lodges, that are nestled amidst the picturesque landscapes of the national park. Staying here allows you to have easy access to hiking trails, wildlife spotting, and the mesmerizing Northern Lights.
2. Abisko Village: Located near the national park, Abisko Village is a charming area that offers a mix of traditional and modern accommodation options. Here, you can find comfortable hotels, guesthouses, and even hostels for budget travelers. The village also has a few restaurants, shops, and amenities, making it a convenient base for exploring the surrounding area.
3. Abisko Mountain Station: For those seeking a unique experience, staying at the Abisko Mountain Station is a great choice. This historic lodge is situated at the foot of Mount Nuolja and offers stunning panoramic views of the surrounding mountains. The lodge provides both hotel rooms and dormitory-style accommodations, making it suitable for different budgets.
4. Abisko Ostra: If you prefer a quieter and more secluded atmosphere, Abisko Ostra is an excellent option. This area is located a bit further away from the main tourist spots, offering a peaceful retreat amidst nature. Here, you can find cozy cabins and cottages that provide a cozy and intimate setting, perfect for relaxation and enjoying the tranquility of the surroundings.
Overall, Abisko offers a range of accommodation options to suit different preferences and budgets. Whether you prefer to stay in the heart of nature, in a charming village, or in a secluded area, you can find the perfect place to make your stay in Abisko memorable.
Hotels Map Of Abisko
Easily navigate your Abisko journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Abisko with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Abisko
There are several transportation options to get to Abisko:
1. By Air: The nearest airport to Abisko is Kiruna Airport (KRN), which is approximately 100 kilometers away. From the airport, you can take a taxi or a bus to Abisko.
2. By Train: Abisko is well-connected by train. You can take a train from Stockholm to Abisko, which takes around 17-20 hours. The train journey offers scenic views of the Swedish countryside.
3. By Bus: There are bus services available from various cities in Sweden to Abisko. You can check the schedules and book tickets online.
4. By Car: If you prefer driving, you can rent a car and drive to Abisko. The journey from Kiruna to Abisko takes around 1.5 to 2 hours.
5. By Hiking: Abisko is a popular starting point for the famous hiking trail called the Kungsleden (King's Trail). If you enjoy hiking, you can reach Abisko by hiking from nearby towns or trails.
It is recommended to check the schedules and availability of transportation options before planning your trip to Abisko.
Rent A Car In Abisko
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Abisko.
Nearby Destinantion From Abisko
1. Kiruna: A small mining town known for its stunning ice hotel and proximity to the Northern Lights.
2. Narvik: A picturesque coastal town in Norway, offering breathtaking fjord views and excellent skiing opportunities.
3. Riksgransen: A popular ski resort located on the border between Sweden and Norway, renowned for its challenging slopes and stunning mountain scenery.
4. Jukkasjarvi: Home to the world-famous Icehotel, this village offers a unique experience of sleeping in rooms made entirely of ice and snow.
5. Gallivare: A charming town surrounded by beautiful nature, offering opportunities for hiking, fishing, and exploring the Sami culture.
6. Karesuando: A small village located on the border between Sweden and Finland, known for its traditional Sami handicrafts and reindeer herding.
7. Kvikkjokk: A remote village situated in the heart of the Sarek National Park, providing access to pristine wilderness and excellent hiking trails.
8. Kebnekaise: Home to Sweden's highest mountain, this area attracts climbers and outdoor enthusiasts seeking adventure and breathtaking views.
9. Tornetrask: A stunning lake located near Abisko, offering opportunities for boating, fishing, and enjoying the surrounding mountain scenery.
10. Nikkaluokta: A small village serving as a starting point for hikers and skiers exploring the Kungsleden trail and the vast wilderness of Lapland.