Fun Things to Do in Kiruna | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Kiruna Travel Guide
Quick overview of Kiruna with essential tips and insights. Jump to any section.
Welcome to Kiruna! Located in the far north of the country, Kiruna is a captivating destination that offers a truly unique travel experience. Known for its stunning natural beauty and rich cultural heritage, this Arctic town is a must-visit for adventure seekers and nature enthusiasts alike. One of the main attractions in Kiruna is the mesmerizing Northern Lights, a breathtaking natural phenomenon that illuminates the night sky with vibrant colors. Additionally, Kiruna is home to the world-famous Icehotel, where visitors can spend a night in a room made entirely of ice and snow. With its picturesque landscapes, fascinating indigenous Sami culture, and a wide range of outdoor activities such as dog sledding and ice fishing, Kiruna promises an unforgettable journey into the heart of the Arctic.
Kiruna Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Kiruna for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Kiruna in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Things To Do In Kiruna
Kiruna offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. One of the main things to do in Kiruna is to witness the mesmerizing Northern Lights. This natural phenomenon is best seen during the winter months when the sky is clear. Many tour operators offer Northern Lights tours that take you to the best viewing spots.
Another highlight of Kiruna is the Icehotel, which is the world's first hotel made entirely of ice and snow. Visitors can explore the unique ice sculptures and even spend a night in one of the ice rooms. The Icehotel also offers guided tours where you can learn about the construction process and the history of the hotel.
For outdoor enthusiasts, Kiruna offers plenty of opportunities for adventure. You can go dog sledding through the snowy landscapes, snowmobiling across frozen lakes, or even try your hand at ice fishing. There are also cross-country skiing trails for those who enjoy winter sports.
If you're interested in local culture, a visit to the Kiruna Church is a must. This wooden church is known for its unique architecture and beautiful interior. You can also explore the Sami culture by visiting a Sami village and learning about their traditional way of life.
For those interested in science and space, Kiruna is home to the Esrange Space Center. You can take a guided tour of the center and learn about the rocket launches and scientific research conducted there.
Lastly, a visit to Kiruna wouldn't be complete without experiencing the Arctic wilderness. You can go on a reindeer sleigh ride and learn about the indigenous Sami people who rely on reindeer herding for their livelihood. You can also explore the stunning national parks surrounding Kiruna, such as Abisko National Park known for its hiking trails and stunning landscapes.
In summary, Kiruna offers a diverse range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. From witnessing the Northern Lights to exploring the Icehotel and experiencing the Arctic wilderness, there is something for everyone in this enchanting destination.
Tours And Activities In Kiruna
Check out these Top-Rated Tours and Activities in Kiruna. Read real reviews and highlights.
Best Time To Visit Kiruna
The best time to visit Kiruna is during the winter months from December to March. This is when the town experiences its famous Northern Lights season and offers a range of winter activities such as dog sledding, snowmobiling, and ice fishing. Additionally, February is a great time to visit as it hosts the Kiruna Snow Festival, a popular event that showcases impressive snow sculptures and offers various cultural activities. However, it's important to note that Kiruna experiences extremely cold temperatures during this time, with average lows reaching -15°C (5°F), so it's essential to pack warm clothing and be prepared for the cold weather.
Flight Calendar For Kiruna
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Kiruna.
Best Areas To Stay In Kiruna
Kiruna offers several great areas for accommodation.
1. City Center: The city center is the heart of Kiruna and is a popular choice for tourists. It is home to a range of hotels, guesthouses, and apartments, making it convenient for exploring the city's attractions. The area is known for its vibrant atmosphere, with numerous restaurants, shops, and cultural sites within walking distance.
2. Jukkasjarvi: Located just outside Kiruna, Jukkasjarvi is famous for its iconic Icehotel. This unique accommodation option attracts visitors from all over the world who want to experience sleeping in a room made entirely of ice. In addition to the Icehotel, Jukkasjarvi offers a few other hotels and cabins, providing a tranquil and picturesque setting surrounded by nature.
3. Abisko: For those seeking outdoor adventures, Abisko is an excellent choice. This small village is situated in the Swedish Lapland and is known for its stunning natural beauty. Accommodation options in Abisko include cozy cabins, lodges, and hotels. The area is particularly popular among hikers and skiers, as it offers access to the famous Abisko National Park and the Aurora Sky Station.
4. Nikkaluokta: Another great area for nature enthusiasts is Nikkaluokta, located about 70 kilometers west of Kiruna. This remote village is a gateway to the Kebnekaise mountain range, the highest peaks in Sweden. Accommodation in Nikkaluokta mainly consists of mountain huts and cabins, providing a rustic and authentic experience for those looking to explore the surrounding wilderness.
5. Bjorkliden: Situated about 80 kilometers west of Kiruna, Bjorkliden is a popular destination for winter sports enthusiasts. The area offers a range of accommodation options, including hotels and cabins, with stunning views of the surrounding mountains. Bjorkliden is known for its excellent skiing and snowboarding opportunities, as well as its proximity to the Abisko National Park, making it an ideal choice for outdoor lovers.
Overall, Kiruna offers a variety of accommodation options in different areas, catering to various preferences and interests. Whether you prefer the convenience of the city center, the unique experience of the Icehotel in Jukkasjarvi, the outdoor adventures in Abisko and Nikkaluokta, or the winter sports in Bjorkliden, there is something
Hotels Map Of Kiruna
All-in-one Map to find Best Hotels, Vacation Rentals, Tours, Activities and Restaurants in Kiruna.
Transportation To Kiruna
There are several transportation options to Kiruna.
1. By Air: Kiruna Airport (KRN) is the nearest airport to the city. It is well-connected with domestic flights from Stockholm and other major cities in Sweden. There are also international flights from some European cities. From the airport, you can take a taxi or a bus to reach the city center.
2. By Train: Kiruna is connected to the Swedish rail network. There are direct trains from Stockholm and other major cities in Sweden. The journey from Stockholm to Kiruna takes around 17-18 hours. The train station is located in the city center, making it convenient to reach your destination.
3. By Bus: There are long-distance buses that connect Kiruna with other cities in Sweden and neighboring countries. The bus station is located in the city center, making it easily accessible.
4. By Car: If you prefer to drive, you can reach Kiruna by car. The city is well-connected by roads, and there are highways that connect it with other major cities in Sweden.
Once you are in Kiruna, there are local transportation options such as taxis, buses, and rental cars to help you get around the city and explore the surrounding areas.
Nearby Destination From Kiruna
1. Gallivare: A small town known for its mining industry and proximity to national parks.
2. Jokkmokk: A village famous for its traditional Sami culture and annual winter market.
3. Abisko: A scenic village located near the Abisko National Park, offering stunning views of the Northern Lights.
4. Narvik: A Norwegian city known for its beautiful fjords and ski resorts.
5. Rovaniemi: The official hometown of Santa Claus, offering a magical Christmas experience.
6. Troms?: A vibrant city in Norway known for its lively nightlife and stunning Arctic landscapes.
7. Lulea: A coastal city with a charming old town and a gateway to the UNESCO-listed Gammelstad Church Town.
8. Nikkaluokta: A small village serving as a starting point for hikers and climbers heading to the Kebnekaise mountain.
9. Haparanda: A border town located on the Swedish-Finnish border, offering a unique blend of cultures.
10. Karesuando: A remote village known for its tranquil atmosphere and opportunities for wilderness adventures.