Fun Things to Do in Lapland | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Lapland Travel Guide
Quick overview of Lapland with essential tips and insights. Jump to any section.
Welcome to Lapland, a magical destination that will transport you to a winter wonderland like no other. Located in the northernmost part of Sweden, Lapland is renowned for its breathtaking natural beauty, pristine wilderness, and unique cultural experiences. This enchanting region is home to the indigenous Sami people, who have preserved their traditional way of life for centuries. Lapland is also famous for being the official residence of Santa Claus, making it a dream destination for families and Christmas enthusiasts. Whether you're seeking thrilling outdoor adventures, a chance to witness the mesmerizing Northern Lights, or simply a peaceful retreat in nature, Lapland has it all. Get ready to embark on an unforgettable journey to Lapland, where the magic of winter comes alive.
Lapland Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Lapland for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Lapland in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Things To Do In Lapland
Lapland offers a plethora of activities and attractions that cater to a wide range of interests. Whether you are an adventure enthusiast, a nature lover, or someone seeking a unique cultural experience, Lapland has something for everyone.
One of the main attractions in Lapland is the opportunity to witness the mesmerizing Northern Lights. This natural phenomenon is best observed during the winter months when the nights are long and dark. Visitors can embark on Northern Lights tours or simply find a cozy spot away from city lights to witness this breathtaking spectacle.
For those seeking an adrenaline rush, Lapland offers various winter sports activities. Skiing and snowboarding enthusiasts can hit the slopes in popular ski resorts such as Riksgransen and Abisko. Additionally, visitors can try their hand at snowmobiling, dog sledding, or even ice climbing. These activities provide an exhilarating way to explore the stunning Lapland wilderness.
Lapland is also home to the indigenous Sami people, who have a rich cultural heritage. Visitors can learn about their traditional way of life by visiting Sami villages and museums. The Jokkmokk Winter Market is a must-visit event where you can experience authentic Sami culture, including traditional crafts, reindeer races, and Sami cuisine.
Nature lovers will be captivated by the stunning landscapes of Lapland. The region is dotted with national parks such as Abisko National Park and Sarek National Park, offering opportunities for hiking, wildlife spotting, and photography. Lapland is also home to the Icehotel, a unique accommodation made entirely of ice and snow, which attracts visitors from around the world.
In addition to these activities, Lapland offers opportunities for relaxation and wellness. Visitors can indulge in sauna experiences, which are an integral part of Finnish and Swedish culture. The Arctic Bath is a unique spa located on the Lule River, where guests can enjoy a refreshing dip in the icy waters or relax in a hot bath under the open sky.
Tours And Activities In Lapland
Check out these Top-Rated Tours and Activities in Lapland. Read real reviews and highlights.
Best Time To Visit Lapland
The best time to visit Lapland is during the winter months from December to February. This is when the region is transformed into a winter wonderland with snow-covered landscapes and the opportunity to witness the spectacular Northern Lights. The sub-zero temperatures create the perfect conditions for winter activities such as dog sledding, snowmobiling, and ice fishing. Additionally, Lapland is home to Santa Claus Village in Rovaniemi, making it a popular destination for families during the Christmas season. However, it's important to note that the winter months can be extremely cold, so it's essential to pack appropriate winter clothing and be prepared for limited daylight hours.
Flight Calendar For Lapland
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Lapland.
Best Areas To Stay In Lapland
Lapland offers a variety of beautiful areas for accommodation. Here are a few notable ones:
1. Kiruna: Located in the northernmost part of Sweden, Kiruna is a popular destination for those seeking a unique Arctic experience. It is known for its stunning natural landscapes, including the famous Icehotel and the nearby Abisko National Park. Visitors can enjoy activities such as dog sledding, snowmobiling, and witnessing the mesmerizing Northern Lights.
2. Jukkasjarvi: This small village is home to the world-renowned Icehotel, which is rebuilt every year using ice and snow from the nearby Torne River. Staying in an ice room or suite is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and guests can also enjoy ice sculpting workshops, ice dining, and even a visit to the ice bar. Jukkasjarvi offers a truly unique and unforgettable accommodation option.
3. Rovaniemi: As the capital of Finnish Lapland, Rovaniemi is a vibrant city with plenty to offer. It is famously known as the official hometown of Santa Claus, and visitors can meet Santa at Santa Claus Village all year round. Rovaniemi also boasts beautiful nature, with opportunities for reindeer sleigh rides, snowshoeing, and exploring the Arctic Circle. The city offers a range of accommodation options, from cozy cabins to luxury hotels.
4. Abisko: Nestled in the heart of Swedish Lapland, Abisko is a paradise for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts. The area is known for its pristine wilderness, breathtaking fjords, and the stunning Aurora Sky Station, where visitors can witness the Northern Lights in all their glory. Abisko National Park offers excellent hiking trails, skiing opportunities, and the chance to spot wildlife such as reindeer and moose. Accommodation options include cozy lodges and guesthouses.
5. Lulea: Situated on the coast of the Gulf of Bothnia, Lulea is a charming city with a rich cultural heritage. It offers a mix of modern amenities and natural beauty, with its archipelago being a popular attraction for boating and fishing enthusiasts. Lulea also has a vibrant city center with shops, restaurants, and historical sites. Visitors can choose from a range of accommodation options, including waterfront hotels and cozy cottages.
Overall, Lapland offers a diverse range of areas for accommodation, each with its own unique charm
Hotels Map Of Lapland
All-in-one Map to find Best Hotels, Vacation Rentals, Tours, Activities and Restaurants in Lapland.
Transportation To Lapland
There are several transportation options to Lapland:
1. Flight: The easiest and fastest way to reach Lapland is by flying into one of the major airports in the region, such as Kiruna Airport or Lulea Airport. There are regular domestic and international flights to these airports from major cities in Sweden and other European countries.
2. Train: Another option is to take a train to Lapland. The Swedish national railway, SJ, operates trains to various destinations in Lapland, including Kiruna and Lulea. The train journey offers scenic views of the Swedish countryside and is a popular choice for travelers.
3. Bus: There are also bus services available to Lapland from different parts of Sweden. Companies like Lanstrafiken and Swebus operate regular bus routes to cities and towns in Lapland, making it a convenient and affordable option for transportation.
4. Car: If you prefer to drive, you can rent a car and take a road trip to Lapland. The major highways in Sweden, such as the E4 and E10, connect to Lapland, and the roads are well-maintained. However, keep in mind that driving in winter conditions can be challenging, so it's important to be prepared and have the necessary equipment.
5. Ferry: If you are coming from Finland, you can also take a ferry to Lapland. There are ferry services that operate between the Finnish city of Haparanda and the Swedish city of Tornio, which is located in Lapland.
Once you are in Lapland, there are local transportation options available, such as buses and taxis, to help you get around and explore the region.
Nearby Destination From Lapland
1. Kiruna: A popular tourist destination known for its stunning natural beauty and the opportunity to see the Northern Lights.
2. Gallivare: A charming town surrounded by picturesque landscapes, offering outdoor activities such as hiking and fishing.
3. Jokkmokk: A small village famous for its traditional Sami culture and the annual winter market.
4. Arvidsjaur: A peaceful town with a rich history, offering activities like dog sledding and ice fishing.
5. Pajala: A remote village located near the Finnish border, known for its tranquil atmosphere and beautiful wilderness.
6. Haparanda: A coastal town with a unique blend of Swedish and Finnish culture, offering shopping opportunities and scenic views of the Baltic Sea.
7. Overkalix: A quaint village surrounded by forests and rivers, perfect for outdoor enthusiasts and nature lovers.
8. Jukkasjarvi: Home to the famous Icehotel, this village offers a one-of-a-kind experience of sleeping in rooms made entirely of ice.
9. Karesuando: A border village where you can experience the Sami way of life and enjoy activities like reindeer sledding.
10. Kvikkjokk: A remote mountain village located in the heart of Sarek National Park, offering breathtaking hiking trails and untouched wilderness.