Fun Things to Do in Sigtuna | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Sigtuna Travel Guide
Quick overview of Sigtuna with essential tips and insights. Jump to any section.
Welcome to Sigtuna, a charming and historic town located just 50 kilometers north of Stockholm. As one of the oldest towns in Sweden, Sigtuna is steeped in rich history and offers visitors a unique glimpse into the country's past. Founded in the 10th century, this picturesque town is known for its well-preserved medieval architecture, cobblestone streets, and stunning waterfront views. With its close proximity to Stockholm's Arlanda Airport, Sigtuna is the perfect destination for travelers looking to immerse themselves in Swedish culture and history. Whether you're exploring the ancient ruins, browsing the local boutiques, or enjoying a leisurely boat ride on Lake Malaren, Sigtuna promises an unforgettable experience for all who visit.
Sigtuna Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Sigtuna for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Sigtuna in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Things To Do In Sigtuna
Sigtuna is a charming town located on the shores of Lake Malaren, just north of Stockholm. It is known for its rich history, picturesque streets, and beautiful natural surroundings. Here are some things to do in Sigtuna:
1. Explore the Old Town: Sigtuna's Old Town is one of the best-preserved medieval towns in Sweden. Take a leisurely stroll along the cobblestone streets and admire the well-preserved wooden houses, charming shops, and historic landmarks.
2. Visit Sigtuna Museum: Located in the heart of the Old Town, the Sigtuna Museum offers a fascinating insight into the town's history. Learn about the Viking Age, medieval times, and the significance of Sigtuna as Sweden's first town.
3. Discover St. Mary's Church: St. Mary's Church is the oldest brick church in Sweden and a must-visit attraction in Sigtuna. Admire the stunning architecture, intricate details, and beautiful stained glass windows.
4. Take a boat trip on Lake Malaren: Enjoy the scenic beauty of Lake Malaren by taking a boat trip. Cruise along the tranquil waters, soak in the breathtaking views, and perhaps even visit some of the nearby islands.
5. Visit Skokloster Castle: Located just a short drive from Sigtuna, Skokloster Castle is a magnificent Baroque castle that is well worth a visit. Explore the grand halls, admire the extensive art collection, and learn about the castle's fascinating history.
6. Enjoy outdoor activities: Sigtuna is surrounded by beautiful nature, making it a perfect destination for outdoor enthusiasts. Go for a hike or bike ride along the picturesque trails, have a picnic by the lake, or try your hand at fishing.
7. Indulge in local cuisine: Sigtuna offers a variety of dining options where you can savor traditional Swedish dishes. Try local specialties such as gravlax (cured salmon), meatballs, and lingonberry jam.
8. Shop for souvenirs: Sigtuna is known for its unique shops and boutiques. Browse through the local handicrafts, jewelry, and clothing stores to find the perfect souvenir to take home.
9. Attend a festival: Sigtuna hosts several festivals throughout the year, showcasing the town's cultural heritage.
Tours And Activities In Sigtuna
Check out these Top-Rated Tours and Activities in Sigtuna. Read real reviews and highlights.
Best Time To Visit Sigtuna
The best time to visit Sigtuna is during the summer months of June, July, and August. This is when the weather is the warmest and most pleasant, with average temperatures ranging from 20 to 25 degrees Celsius. Additionally, daylight hours are the longest during this time, allowing visitors to explore the town and its surroundings for extended periods. Sigtuna's picturesque landscapes and historical sites are best enjoyed when the weather is favorable, making summer the ideal season to visit. However, it's important to note that summer is also the peak tourist season, so expect larger crowds and higher prices for accommodations and attractions.
Flight Calendar For Sigtuna
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Sigtuna.
Best Areas To Stay In Sigtuna
Sigtuna is a charming and historic town located on the shores of Lake Malaren, just 45 minutes away from Stockholm. It offers a variety of accommodation options, each with its own unique charm and appeal.
1. Sigtuna Stadshotell: This centrally located hotel is housed in a beautifully restored 18th-century building. It offers comfortable rooms with modern amenities and a cozy atmosphere. The hotel's restaurant serves delicious Swedish cuisine, and its proximity to the town's main attractions makes it a convenient choice for visitors.
2. Hotell Kristina: Situated in a peaceful and picturesque setting, this hotel offers stunning views of Lake Malaren. The rooms are spacious and elegantly decorated, providing a comfortable and relaxing stay. Guests can enjoy the hotel's spa facilities, including a sauna and hot tub, and indulge in delicious meals at the on-site restaurant.
3. 32 Rum & Kok: For those seeking a more intimate and boutique experience, this charming guesthouse is the perfect choice. Located in the heart of Sigtuna, it offers individually designed rooms with unique decor and a cozy atmosphere. The on-site restaurant serves delicious homemade meals, and the friendly staff ensures a personalized and memorable stay.
4. Sigtunahojden Hotell & Konferens: Nestled on a hilltop overlooking Lake Malaren, this hotel offers breathtaking views and a tranquil atmosphere. The rooms are spacious and well-appointed, providing a comfortable and luxurious stay. Guests can relax in the hotel's spa and wellness center, enjoy a swim in the indoor pool, or explore the surrounding nature trails.
5. 1909 Sigtuna Stads Hotell: This boutique hotel combines modern design with historic charm. Located in a beautifully restored building from 1909, it offers stylish and comfortable rooms with unique features. The hotel's restaurant serves gourmet cuisine, and its central location allows easy access to Sigtuna's attractions and shops.
Overall, Sigtuna offers a range of accommodation options to suit different preferences and budgets. Whether you prefer a historic hotel, a boutique guesthouse, or a modern design hotel, you are sure to find the perfect place to stay in this charming Swedish town.
Hotels Map Of Sigtuna
All-in-one Map to find Best Hotels, Vacation Rentals, Tours, Activities and Restaurants in Sigtuna.
Transportation To Sigtuna
There are several transportation options to get to Sigtuna:
1. By Air: The closest airport to Sigtuna is Stockholm Arlanda Airport (ARN), which is located about 15 kilometers away. From the airport, you can take a taxi, rent a car, or use public transportation to reach Sigtuna.
2. By Train: Sigtuna does not have a train station, but you can take a train to Marsta station, which is about 10 kilometers away. From Marsta, you can take a taxi or a bus to Sigtuna.
3. By Bus: There are regular bus services connecting Sigtuna to nearby towns and cities. You can check the local bus schedules and routes to plan your journey.
4. By Car: Sigtuna is easily accessible by car, and there are several highways and roads leading to the town. You can rent a car or use a taxi service to reach Sigtuna.
5. By Boat: Sigtuna is located on the shores of Lake Malaren, and there are boat services available from Stockholm and other nearby towns. This option is more popular during the summer months.
It is recommended to check the latest schedules and availability of transportation options before planning your trip to Sigtuna.
Nearby Destination From Sigtuna
1. Stockholm: The vibrant capital city of Sweden, known for its beautiful archipelago and historic old town.
2. Uppsala: A charming university town with a rich history, home to the iconic Uppsala Cathedral and Gustavianum museum.
3. Vasteras: A bustling city with a mix of modern architecture and medieval ruins, offering a vibrant cultural scene.
4. Enkoping: A picturesque town with well-preserved medieval buildings, known for its charming city center and beautiful parks.
5. Mariefred: A small town with a fairy-tale-like castle, Gripsholm Castle, and a scenic location by Lake Malaren.
6. Strangnas: A historic town with a stunning cathedral, Strangnas Domkyrka, and a charming waterfront area.
7. Nynashamn: A coastal town with beautiful beaches and a gateway to the Stockholm Archipelago, offering opportunities for outdoor activities.
8. Sodertalje: A diverse city with a rich industrial history, known for its cultural diversity and the Torekallberget open-air museum.
9. Eskilstuna: A vibrant city with a mix of modern attractions and historical sites, including the Munktell Museum and Rademachersmedjorna.
10. Vasterhaninge: A peaceful village surrounded by nature, offering hiking trails and a tranquil atmosphere.