Fun Things to Do in Stockholm | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Welcome to Stockholm, the vibrant capital city of Sweden! Situated on 14 islands connected by 57 bridges, this picturesque city offers a unique blend of history, culture, and natural beauty. As you explore the cobblestone streets of Gamla Stan, the charming old town, you'll be transported back in time with its well-preserved medieval architecture and narrow alleyways. Don't miss the opportunity to visit the iconic Royal Palace, the official residence of the Swedish monarch, and witness the changing of the guard ceremony. Stockholm is also known for its world-class museums, such as the ABBA Museum and the Vasa Museum, which houses a 17th-century warship that sank on its maiden voyage. With its stunning archipelago, encompassing over 30,000 islands and islets, Stockholm offers endless opportunities for outdoor activities, from kayaking and sailing to exploring the serene nature reserves. Whether you're a history buff, an art enthusiast, or a nature lover, Stockholm has something to offer for everyone.
Stockholm Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Stockholm for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Stockholm in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Book Stockholm Trip
Planning a trip to Stockholm on your own? Use Travopo's trusted partners for cheapest rates and a hassle-free booking experience.
Book Things To Do In Stockholm
Stockholm Travel Guide
Quick overview of Stockholm with essential tips and insights.
Things To Do In Stockholm
Stockholm, the capital of Sweden, offers a plethora of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Here are some must-see and must-do things in Stockholm:
1. Explore Gamla Stan: Start your visit by wandering through the charming old town of Stockholm, Gamla Stan. This area is known for its narrow cobblestone streets, colorful buildings, and historic sites such as the Royal Palace and the Nobel Museum.
2. Visit the Vasa Museum: One of Stockholm's most famous attractions is the Vasa Museum, which houses the 17th-century warship Vasa. This well-preserved ship sank on its maiden voyage and was salvaged centuries later. The museum provides a fascinating insight into Sweden's maritime history.
3. Take a boat tour: Stockholm is built on 14 islands, so taking a boat tour is a fantastic way to see the city from a different perspective. You can hop on a sightseeing boat or even rent a kayak to explore the picturesque waterways and enjoy breathtaking views of the city's skyline.
4. Visit the ABBA Museum: Music lovers should not miss the chance to visit the ABBA Museum, dedicated to the iconic Swedish pop group. Here, you can learn about the band's history, sing along to their famous songs, and even try on their costumes.
5. Stroll through Djurgarden: Djurgarden is a beautiful island in Stockholm that offers a variety of attractions. You can visit the Skansen Open-Air Museum, which showcases traditional Swedish life, or explore the Viking-inspired amusement park, Grona Lund. Don't forget to take a leisurely walk through the lush greenery of Djurgarden's parks and gardens.
6. Discover modern art at Moderna Museet: Art enthusiasts should head to the Moderna Museet, Stockholm's modern art museum. Here, you can admire works by renowned artists such as Picasso, Dali, and Warhol. The museum also hosts temporary exhibitions, ensuring there's always something new to see.
7. Indulge in Swedish cuisine: Stockholm is a food lover's paradise, offering a wide range of culinary delights.
Tours And Activities In Stockholm
Book Top-Rated Tours and Activities around Stockholm at Affordable Prices.
Best Time To Visit Stockholm
The best time to visit Stockholm is during the summer months of June, July, and August. This is when the city experiences its warmest temperatures and longest days, with average highs reaching around 20°C (68°F). Additionally, many outdoor activities and festivals take place during this time, making it an ideal period to explore the city's beautiful parks, archipelago, and cultural attractions. However, it's important to note that summer is also the peak tourist season, so expect larger crowds and higher prices for accommodations and attractions. If you prefer milder weather and fewer tourists, late spring (May) and early autumn (September) can also be good times to visit Stockholm.
Flight Calendar For Stockholm
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Stockholm.
Best Hotels To Stay In Stockholm
Book Affordable, Highly-Rated Hotels Near Stockholm's Center.
Best Areas To Stay In Stockholm
Stockholm, the capital city of Sweden, offers a variety of excellent areas for accommodation. Here are a few of the best areas to consider:
1. Ostermalm: Known for its upscale and luxurious atmosphere, Ostermalm is a popular choice for those seeking a high-end experience. This area is home to elegant apartments, boutique shops, and trendy restaurants. It also boasts beautiful parks and proximity to attractions like the Royal Dramatic Theatre and the National Museum.
2. Sodermalm: If you're looking for a vibrant and trendy neighborhood, Sodermalm is the place to be. This area is known for its hipster culture, artistic vibe, and lively nightlife. It offers a wide range of accommodation options, from budget-friendly hostels to stylish boutique hotels. Sodermalm also offers stunning views of the city from its many viewpoints.
3. Gamla Stan: Gamla Stan, Stockholm's charming old town, is a must-visit area for history enthusiasts. This medieval neighborhood is filled with narrow cobblestone streets, colorful buildings, and historic landmarks like the Royal Palace and Stockholm Cathedral. Accommodation options in Gamla Stan include cozy guesthouses and boutique hotels, allowing visitors to immerse themselves in the city's rich history.
4. Djurgarden: Djurgarden is a peaceful island in the heart of Stockholm, known for its lush green spaces and cultural attractions. This area is home to several museums, including the Vasa Museum and the ABBA Museum, making it an ideal choice for culture lovers. Djurgarden also offers beautiful waterfront views and opportunities for outdoor activities. Accommodation options here range from luxury hotels to charming bed and breakfasts.
5. Norrmalm: Norrmalm is Stockholm's bustling city center, making it a convenient choice for those who want to be close to everything. This area is known for its shopping streets, such as Drottninggatan, and iconic landmarks like Sergels Torg and Stockholm Central Station. Norrmalm offers a wide range of accommodation options, from budget-friendly hotels to upscale establishments.
Overall, Stockholm offers a diverse range of areas for accommodation, each with its own unique charm and attractions. Whether you prefer luxury, history, culture, or convenience, you're sure to find the perfect area to suit your needs in this vibrant city.
Hotels Map Of Stockholm
Easily navigate your Stockholm journey with our map. Book hotels, vacation rentals, and activities hassle-free. Filter your search to find best deals and explore hotspot areas of Stockholm with our heatmap feature.
Transportation To Stockholm
There are several transportation options to get to Stockholm:
1. By Air: Stockholm has several airports, including Stockholm Arlanda Airport (ARN), Stockholm Bromma Airport (BMA), and Stockholm Skavsta Airport (NYO). You can fly to Stockholm from various international destinations.
2. By Train: Stockholm is well-connected by train to other major cities in Sweden and neighboring countries. You can take a train from cities like Gothenburg, Malmo, Oslo, and Copenhagen to reach Stockholm.
3. By Bus: There are long-distance bus services that operate to and from Stockholm. You can check for bus routes and schedules from different cities in Sweden and nearby countries.
4. By Car: If you prefer driving, you can reach Stockholm by car via the well-maintained road network. There are highways connecting Stockholm to other major cities in Sweden and neighboring countries.
5. By Ferry: Stockholm is located on the coast, and there are ferry services available from various Baltic Sea destinations. You can take a ferry from cities like Helsinki, Tallinn, and Riga to reach Stockholm.
Once you arrive in Stockholm, the city has an efficient public transportation system, including buses, trams, and the Stockholm Metro (Tunnelbana), which can be used to navigate within the city.
Rent A Car In Stockholm
Search for the Best Car Rental Deals in Stockholm.
Nearby Destinantion From Stockholm
1. Uppsala: A historic city known for its medieval cathedral and prestigious university.
2. Sodertalje: A multicultural town with a rich industrial history and beautiful waterfront.
3. Vasteras: Sweden's sixth-largest city, offering a mix of modern attractions and ancient ruins.
4. Nynashamn: A coastal town famous for its picturesque harbor and gateway to the Stockholm archipelago.
5. Sigtuna: Sweden's first town, boasting well-preserved medieval buildings and charming cobblestone streets.
6. Mariefred: Home to the stunning Gripsholm Castle and a popular destination for steamboat cruises.
7. Trosa: A quaint coastal village known for its colorful wooden houses and scenic canals.
8. Nacka: A suburban municipality offering stunning views of Stockholm from its many viewpoints.
9. Vaxholm: An idyllic island town known for its fortress and charming waterfront promenade.
10. Drottningholm: A UNESCO World Heritage site featuring a magnificent palace and beautiful gardens.