Fun Things to Do in Selous Game Reserve | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Selous Game Reserve Travel Guide
Quick overview of Selous Game Reserve with essential tips and insights. Jump to any section.
- Selous Game Reserve Travel Videos
- Plan Selous Game Reserve Trip
- Things To Do In Selous Game Reserve
- Tours And Activities In Selous Game Reserve
- Best Time To Visit Selous Game Reserve
- Flight Calendar For Selous Game Reserve
- Best Areas To Stay In Selous Game Reserve
- Hotels Map Of Selous Game Reserve
- Transportation To Selous Game Reserve
- Nearby Destinantion From Selous Game Reserve
Welcome to Selous Game Reserve's largest protected area and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Located in the southern part of the country, this vast wilderness spans over 50,000 square kilometers and offers an unparalleled safari experience. Selous Game Reserve is home to a diverse range of wildlife, including elephants, lions, giraffes, and hippos, making it a haven for nature enthusiasts and wildlife photographers. With its pristine landscapes, meandering rivers, and lush vegetation, this untamed paradise promises an unforgettable adventure for those seeking an authentic African safari experience.
Selous Game Reserve Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Selous Game Reserve for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Selous Game Reserve in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Things To Do In Selous Game Reserve
The Selous Game Reserve in Tanzania offers a plethora of exciting activities for visitors to enjoy.
One of the main attractions in the reserve is game drives. These guided tours allow visitors to explore the vast wilderness and encounter a wide variety of wildlife. From elephants and lions to giraffes and zebras, the reserve is home to an abundance of fascinating animals. Game drives can be done in the early morning or late afternoon when animals are most active, providing the best opportunity for sightings.
Another popular activity in the Selous Game Reserve is boat safaris. These safaris take place on the Rufiji River, which runs through the reserve. Visitors can cruise along the river, observing animals such as hippos, crocodiles, and a variety of bird species. Boat safaris offer a unique perspective and allow visitors to witness wildlife from a different vantage point.
For those seeking a more adventurous experience, walking safaris are available in the Selous Game Reserve. Accompanied by experienced guides, visitors can explore the reserve on foot, immersing themselves in the sights, sounds, and smells of the African bush. Walking safaris provide a more intimate and up-close encounter with nature, allowing visitors to appreciate the smaller details of the ecosystem.
The Selous Game Reserve is also a fantastic destination for birdwatching enthusiasts. With over 440 bird species recorded in the reserve, including the African fish eagle and the saddle-billed stork, birdwatchers will be in awe of the diverse avian life. Guided birdwatching tours can be arranged, ensuring visitors have the best chance of spotting rare and beautiful bird species.
Additionally, the Selous Game Reserve offers fishing opportunities for those who enjoy angling. The Rufiji River is home to a variety of fish species, including the Nile perch and the catfish. Visitors can try their hand at fishing while enjoying the serene surroundings of the reserve.
Lastly, the Selous Game Reserve is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and visitors can learn about the reserve's conservation efforts and the importance of protecting its unique ecosystem. Educational tours and lectures are available, providing visitors with valuable insights into the reserve's biodiversity and the challenges it faces.
Tours And Activities In Selous Game Reserve
Check out these Top-Rated Tours and Activities in Selous Game Reserve. Read real reviews and highlights.
Best Time To Visit Selous Game Reserve
The best time to visit the Selous Game Reserve in Tanzania is during the dry season, which typically runs from June to October. During this time, the weather is warm and dry, making it easier to spot wildlife as they gather around water sources. The vegetation is also less dense, allowing for better visibility. Additionally, the dry season is when the river levels are lower, making it possible to go on boat safaris and river cruises. However, it's important to note that July and August can be quite busy with tourists, so if you prefer a quieter experience, it may be best to visit in June or September.
Flight Calendar For Selous Game Reserve
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Selous Game Reserve.
Best Areas To Stay In Selous Game Reserve
Selous Game Reserve in Tanzania offers a variety of accommodation options for visitors to choose from. Here are some of the best areas for accommodation in Selous Game Reserve:
1. Mtemere: Located in the northern part of Selous Game Reserve, Mtemere is known for its stunning views of the Rufiji River. It offers a range of lodges and camps that provide comfortable and luxurious accommodations. Visitors can enjoy game drives, boat safaris, and walking safaris in this area.
2. Beho Beho: Situated in the western part of Selous Game Reserve, Beho Beho is a popular area for accommodation. It is known for its exclusive and high-end lodges that offer privacy and personalized service. Visitors can indulge in game drives, walking safaris, and boat safaris while staying in this area.
3. Stiegler's Gorge: Located in the central part of Selous Game Reserve, Stiegler's Gorge is a picturesque area with breathtaking views of the Rufiji River. It offers a range of lodges and camps that cater to different budgets and preferences. Visitors can enjoy game drives, boat safaris, and bird watching in this area.
4. Lake Manze: Situated in the eastern part of Selous Game Reserve, Lake Manze is known for its abundant wildlife and beautiful scenery. It offers a selection of tented camps that provide a unique and authentic safari experience. Visitors can enjoy game drives, walking safaris, and boat safaris while staying in this area.
5. Selous Riverside Safari Camp: Located on the banks of the Rufiji River, Selous Riverside Safari Camp is a popular choice for accommodation in Selous Game Reserve. It offers comfortable tented accommodations with stunning views of the river. Visitors can enjoy game drives, boat safaris, and fishing excursions in this area.
Overall, Selous Game Reserve offers a range of accommodation options in different areas, allowing visitors to choose the one that suits their preferences and budget. Whether you prefer luxury lodges or authentic tented camps, Selous Game Reserve has something to offer for everyone.
Hotels Map Of Selous Game Reserve
All-in-one Map to find Best Hotels, Vacation Rentals, Tours, Activities and Restaurants in Selous Game Reserve.
Transportation To Selous Game Reserve
The most common mode of transportation to Selous Game Reserve in Tanzania is by air or by road.
By Air: The nearest airport to Selous Game Reserve is Julius Nyerere International Airport in Dar es Salaam. From there, you can take a domestic flight to one of the airstrips within the reserve, such as Mtemere Airstrip or Siwandu Airstrip. Several airlines offer flights to these airstrips, including Coastal Aviation and Safari Air Link.
By Road: If you prefer to travel by road, you can hire a private vehicle or take a taxi from Dar es Salaam to Selous Game Reserve. The journey takes approximately 5-6 hours, depending on the road conditions. It is recommended to hire a 4x4 vehicle as some parts of the road may be rough or unpaved.
Once you arrive at Selous Game Reserve, you can explore the reserve further by taking game drives, boat safaris, or walking safaris, which are usually organized by the lodges or camps within the reserve.
Nearby Destination From Selous Game Reserve
1. Dar es Salaam: The bustling capital city of Tanzania, known for its vibrant markets and beautiful beaches.
2. Morogoro: A charming town located at the base of the Uluguru Mountains, offering stunning views and a rich history.
3. Mikumi National Park: A wildlife haven, famous for its diverse range of animals and picturesque landscapes.
4. Bagamoyo: A historic coastal town with a UNESCO World Heritage Site, known for its slave trade history and cultural significance.
5. Zanzibar City: The vibrant capital of Zanzibar, renowned for its stunning beaches, spice markets, and rich Swahili culture.
6. Dodoma: The political capital of Tanzania, home to the country's government institutions and a growing urban center.
7. Arusha: A gateway to many of Tanzania's national parks, including Mount Kilimanjaro and the Serengeti, offering adventure and wildlife experiences.
8. Tanga: A coastal city with beautiful beaches and historical sites, known for its vibrant arts and culture scene.
9. Mbeya: A scenic town nestled in the Southern Highlands, surrounded by lush tea plantations and offering breathtaking views of the Rift Valley.
10. Mwanza: Located on the shores of Lake Victoria's largest freshwater lake, known for its stunning sunsets and vibrant fishing industry.