Fun Things to Do in Naples | Travel Guide (2024) | Best Places to Visit
Naples Travel Guide
Quick overview of Naples with essential tips and insights. Jump to any section.
Welcome to Naples, a city that effortlessly combines history, culture, and culinary delights. Located in the southern region of Campania, Naples is known for its stunning architecture, vibrant street life, and proximity to the picturesque Amalfi Coast. As one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world, Naples boasts a rich historical heritage, with landmarks such as the Royal Palace of Naples and the ancient ruins of Pompeii just a short distance away. But Naples is not just a city of the past; it is also a thriving metropolis with a lively atmosphere, bustling markets, and some of the best pizza in the world. Whether you're exploring the narrow streets of the historic center, admiring the breathtaking views from the Castel Sant'Elmo, or indulging in a traditional Neapolitan coffee, Naples promises an unforgettable travel experience.
Naples Travel Videos
Watch authentic videos about Naples for inspiration and practical tips. Know all the amazing places to visit and things to do in Naples in 2024. Make your own Itinerary, like a Pro.
Things To Do In Naples
Naples is a vibrant city with a rich history and culture. There are numerous things to do in Naples that cater to a variety of interests.
One of the main attractions in Naples is the historic city center, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Here, visitors can explore the narrow streets and alleys, admire the stunning architecture, and visit iconic landmarks such as the Naples Cathedral and the Royal Palace of Naples.
Art enthusiasts will be delighted to visit the National Archaeological Museum, which houses an extensive collection of ancient Roman artifacts, including the famous Farnese Hercules and the Alexander Mosaic. Another must-visit for art lovers is the Capodimonte Museum, which showcases a vast collection of Renaissance and Baroque art.
For those interested in history, a visit to the Underground Naples is highly recommended. This underground network of tunnels and chambers offers a glimpse into the city's past, including ancient Greek and Roman ruins. Additionally, the Castel dell'Ovo, a seaside castle dating back to the 12th century, provides panoramic views of the city and the Bay of Naples.
Food enthusiasts will be in heaven in Naples, as it is the birthplace of pizza. Trying authentic Neapolitan pizza is a must-do activity in the city. Visitors can also indulge in other local delicacies such as sfogliatelle (a shell-shaped pastry) and mozzarella di bufala (buffalo mozzarella cheese).
Nature lovers can take a day trip to the nearby Mount Vesuvius. This active volcano offers breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape and the opportunity to hike to its crater. Another natural attraction near Naples is the Amalfi Coast, known for its picturesque towns, stunning cliffs, and crystal-clear waters.
Lastly, Naples is famous for its vibrant street life and bustling markets. The Spaccanapoli street is a lively thoroughfare that cuts through the historic center, lined with shops, cafes, and street vendors. The Pignasecca Market and the Porta Nolana Market are also worth a visit to experience the local atmosphere and sample fresh produce.
In conclusion, Naples offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy.
Tours And Activities In Naples
Check out these Top-Rated Tours and Activities in Naples. Read real reviews and highlights.
Best Time To Visit Naples
The best time to visit Naples is during the spring (April to June) and fall (September to October) seasons. During these months, the weather is mild and pleasant, with average temperatures ranging from 15°C to 25°C (59°F to 77°F). The tourist crowds are also smaller compared to the summer months, allowing visitors to explore the city and its attractions more comfortably. Additionally, hotel rates and flight prices tend to be lower during the shoulder seasons, making it a more affordable time to visit Naples. However, it is important to note that spring and fall are also the rainiest seasons in Naples, so it is advisable to pack an umbrella or raincoat.
Flight Calendar For Naples
Discover the Cheapest Days and Months to Book Flight Tickets to Naples.
Best Areas To Stay In Naples
Naples offers a variety of great areas for accommodation. Here are a few of the best areas to consider:
1. Historic Center: The Historic Center of Naples is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is known for its charming narrow streets, historic buildings, and vibrant atmosphere. This area is perfect for those who want to be in the heart of the city and close to major attractions such as the Naples Cathedral and the National Archaeological Museum.
2. Chiaia: Chiaia is a trendy and upscale neighborhood located along the coast of Naples. It is known for its beautiful promenade, upscale shops, and lively nightlife. This area is ideal for those who want to enjoy the beach and have easy access to the city center.
3. Posillipo: Posillipo is a picturesque residential neighborhood situated on a hill overlooking the Bay of Naples. It offers stunning views, peaceful surroundings, and luxurious villas. This area is perfect for those seeking a tranquil and exclusive retreat away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
4. Vomero: Vomero is a vibrant and lively neighborhood located on a hilltop. It is known for its shopping streets, bustling squares, and panoramic views of the city. This area is popular among locals and tourists alike and offers a wide range of accommodation options.
5. Mergellina: Mergellina is a charming neighborhood located along the coast of Naples. It is known for its picturesque marina, seafood restaurants, and beautiful waterfront promenade. This area is perfect for those who want to enjoy the sea breeze and have easy access to the city center.
Overall, Naples offers a diverse range of accommodation options in various areas, each with its own unique charm and attractions. Whether you prefer the historic center, the coastal neighborhoods, or the tranquil hilltop areas, you are sure to find the perfect place to stay in Naples.
Hotels Map Of Naples
All-in-one Map to find Best Hotels, Vacation Rentals, Tours, Activities and Restaurants in Naples.
Transportation To Naples
There are several transportation options to Naples. You can fly into Naples International Airport, which is the closest airport to the city. From there, you can take a taxi, bus, or train to reach your destination within Naples.
If you are already in Italy, you can also take a train to Naples from other major cities such as Rome, Florence, or Milan. The train journey offers scenic views of the Italian countryside.
Additionally, if you prefer to travel by sea, you can take a ferry or cruise ship to Naples from other Mediterranean destinations such as Sicily, Sardinia, or Greece.
Once in Naples, you can use public transportation such as buses, trams, or the metro to get around the city. Taxis and rental cars are also available for more convenience and flexibility.
Nearby Destination From Naples
1. Pompeii: Ancient Roman city buried by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius.
2. Sorrento: Picturesque coastal town known for its stunning views of the Bay of Naples.
3. Capri: Beautiful island famous for its rugged landscape, luxury villas, and the Blue Grotto.
4. Amalfi: Charming coastal town renowned for its stunning architecture and the Amalfi Cathedral.
5. Positano: Colorful cliffside village with narrow streets, beautiful beaches, and vibrant atmosphere.
6. Herculaneum: Well-preserved ancient Roman town buried by the same eruption as Pompeii.
7. Ischia: Volcanic island known for its thermal spas, beautiful beaches, and lush gardens.
8. Procida: Quaint island with colorful houses, charming fishing villages, and a relaxed atmosphere.
9. Caserta: Home to the magnificent Royal Palace of Caserta, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
10. Paestum: Archaeological site with well-preserved Greek temples and ancient ruins.